SL-1300 or new?

Hey guys,

So to make a VERY long story short, about 8 months ago I had to sell most of my gear and move into a small place for a short time. That being said, im moving back into a bigger place and im looking to put together a budget set up again and I need some advice.

So far  I think I have narrowed a few components down. Im going to roll with a Yamaha AS501 for an amp and some Audioengine P4s for speakers.

Right now my current TT is an SL-1300 with a Stanton 780 cart and broken 4DQ stylus.  The TT works decent.  The thing that is kind of known to go wrong with these is the auto start and auto return tone arm functon and mine is no different. without getting into a long detail, sometimes it just takes a few extra seconds to get playing because you may go to start the record and the tonearm will automatically return back to the resting position, etc. But it is something you can live with.

Honestly,  a TT is not in my budget but I have really been eyeballing a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB (DC).

What do you think it would be more worth it to do, Do I spend the money on a new stylus for the 780 or just buy a whole new decent cart for the SL1300 that is finicky to begin with and kind of a pain in the ass.... or should I just eat ramen noodles for a month and cop the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB (DC) that has a decent cart on it to begin with?

Any suggestions on anything would be welcomed.

The SL-1300 can be used in manual mode, correct? That is a pretty solid deck, from my understanding. Basically a 1200 but with auto?

I had a Music Hall 2.2 LE, which is essentially the same thing. Mine had the acrylic platter, and I had the speed box. For what its worth, the music hall was nice, but just didn't feel like the build made it worth the money. It just felt cheap.  That is juts my opinion. I liked that deck a lot, but was left wanting for something more solid.

If it were me, I'd put the 1300 in manual mode, and buy a new cart. If you decide you would like the Project later on after saving some more, you could always put the new cart on it.

The Project has a 2M Red on it? I like those for the price point, but a little more money on a cart would go a long way.