David Bowie - A New Career In A New Town (1977-1982) (13 LP Box Set, 09/29/17)

David Bowie - A New Career In A New Town (1977-1982)

a_new_career_in_town_-_front_cover_1.jpg

a_new_career_in_town_lp_box_set_-_3dlp.j

84 Page hardback book

Low (remastered) (1LP)

"Heroes" (remastered) (1LP)

“Heroes” E.P. (remastered) (12” Single)*

Stage (remastered) (2LP Yellow Vinyl) *

Stage (2017) (remastered)  (3LP)

Lodger (remastered) (1LP)

Lodger (Tony Visconti 2017 Mix) (1LP)*

Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) (1LP)

Re:Call 3 (single versions, non-album singles and B-sides) (remastered) (2LP)*

* Exclusive to ‘A New Career In A New Town (1977-1982)’

Bowie's Webpage (more info)

Bowie's Webstore

Amazon U.S.

What's up with the price difference?  I hopped on that Amazon pre-order quick.  I have the first two boxes, but can't remember if the price was closer to $250 or $160?

Edited by curator

These aren't too limited, although the first set (Five Years) sold out before last Christmas and is currently going for big $$.

The second set is still available right now, almost a year after release.

That said, $160 seems like a pretty good price right off the bat.

Semi-controversial opinion: This might be the strongest set of the three. Not a single weak album in the bunch. (Looking at you, Pin-Ups, Space Oddity, and Young Americans...) But I'm not sure I can justify a purchase when I have VG/NM originals of all four studio albums. 

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, armadillo01 said:

So... bit of a storm brewing. Stephen Street and Henry Rollins are involved.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/parlophone-respond-to-david-bowie-berlin-box-set-mastering-criticisms/

I really enjoyed the sound of Low, but the volume drop on Heroes is totally inexcusable. I thought it might have been a bunch of older audiophiles overreacting, but that drop is so clear. 

The set is really beautiful, so it is a shame that such a significant track has a pretty major issue

Edited by darkeyelids

5 hours ago, darkeyelids said:

I really enjoyed the sound of Low, but the volume drop on Heroes is totally inexcusable. I thought it might have been a bunch of older audiophiles overreacting, but that drop is so clear. 

The set is really beautiful, so it is a shame that such a significant track has a pretty major issue

Yeah, I think the fact that it's a top three Bowie track in terms of recognition alone doesn't help the issue. It's also a major oversight considering the volume/tone  drop off is absent from the original pressing, so the whole "We're not touching the master tape because historical fidelity" is kinda bogus; being true to history would mean fixing that obvious misrecording at whatever stage between the tape master and the plate-cutting.

From David Bowie's facebook:

"HEROES" ALBUM UPDATE

While attempts were made to maintain the integrity of the issue that existed on the original master tape of the "Heroes" album, fans’ concerns have been listened to and a new master is being created to replace the current one. 

As soon as the new file is available, the digital versions will be updated and those of you who would like a replacement "Heroes" album will be eligible for one. Further details on how to obtain your replacement CD and/or vinyl will follow in due course. In the meantime please retain your proof of purchase.

Thank you for your continued patience and sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

#ANCIANTbox  #ANewCareerInANewTownBox

Edited by achillesstand7

After reading about the issues of this box and just knowing of the general horridness of audio mastering/compression and fidelity on the majority of the current record industry's output, I have to say that I hope there is soon to be a revolution of actual audio professionals coming into the business and truly making a difference in reversing the disgusting trends of sonic disfigurement that has been rising in the last 25 years. We can do better than this. Its a large part of the reason I got into the industry and with any luck, I'll be able to secure a job making sure shit like this stops occurring.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Also, how to get a Heroes replacement if you bought the box set:

"HEROES" ALBUM UPDATE

We can now confirm that the "Heroes" audio has been updated via all digital download and streaming partners. CD and LP discs (in a plain sleeve) will be ready to ship week commencing 11th December.

Those who have bought the ANCIANT box set and would like an updated disc of "Heroes" should send an email to:

heroes @ wmgcustomerservice.com

Your email should contain the following info:

• NAME
• SHIPPING ADDRESS (and any delivery instructions)
• EMAIL ADDRESS
• PHONE NUMBER (required by some delivery providers)
• FORMAT PURCHASED (CD or LP)
• PROOF OF PURCHASE (email attachment / photo / scan / screen grab / etc.)

Please ensure that you limit the content of your email to these details only so that the Warner Music Customer Services team can process your order as quickly and efficiently as possible.

#ANCIANTbox #ANewCareerInANewTownBox

Image may contain: 2 people, text
Edited by achillesstand7

• 6 months later...