[PO] Godspeed You! Black Emperor – Luciferian Towers

I'm aware that "soon" threads are typically frowned upon but this is Godspeed.  Pre-orders should be up very soon from every outlet; Bull Moose, Amazon, Constellation, etc.

If you know me and you've talked to me about music for any amount of time, I've probably raved once or twice about Godspeed being the most interesting band in the modern post-rock scene.  Not only because their music is arguably timeless, but also because they have no regard for scheduled releases or agenda.  In 2012, they debuted 'Allelujah by rolling it out on merch stands during a random performance, and allowed the internet to buzz and clamor before official announcements were made.  And considering that they're always touring new material ahead of time, it has always been my belief that they're sitting on any given amount of unreleased music that they can drop overnight, or whenever they see fit.  And that's exciting.  September 22nd isn't all that far off; basically 2.5 months of waiting to finally hear the fully realized studio versions of songs we've been craving to have since 2015 or so.  Still can't really believe it.

10 minutes ago, Plarocks said:

I know Godspeed has never done this in the past, but given this will be distributed by "Secretly," I wonder if there will be a "Secretly Society" exclusive variant of this?

If so, they will be getting another $60 out of me. :D

I have never in my life imagined GY!BE succumbing to variants or bells and whistles with vinyl – the idea of a Newbury exclusive is as laughable as it is terrifying – but I too wouldn't hesitate to drop $60, either.

Just recently (two days ago, in fact) I thought that a new Godspeed record is what I need to happen. That written teaser gathers just about everything I admire about them, besides the actual music. 

Also GY!BE playing the variant game would equal Fugazi reuniting to play greatest hits shows in arenas opening for Coldplay and U2. Might happen, but really rather won't.

First: New GY!BE is always good news! Easily the best post-band besides Russian Circles and live one of the best things to witness!

47 minutes ago, simple_torture said:

I saw that too, but right above this it lists 2 sides and gives a length of around 45 mins. Not sure what "12 x 4" is referring to. 

It rather looks like this is a single LP. The 12x4 or 48 rather referrs to the amount of records (or resp. 30 CDs) that fit one box...there are probably 4 (or 12) smaller boxes in the big one that hold 12 (or 4) records each.

1 hour ago, Sasan said:

First: New GY!BE is always good news! Easily the best post-band besides Russian Circles and live one of the best things to witness!

It rather looks like this is a single LP. The 12x4 or 48 rather referrs to the amount of records (or resp. 30 CDs) that fit one box...there are probably 4 (or 12) smaller boxes in the big one that hold 12 (or 4) records each.

Ah! I figured it had something to do with distribution. Just needed someone smarter than me to answer it. 

2 hours ago, _stretts said:

fuck. yes.

I mean, f#a# came with a train rolled penny so they have done weird shit before. But i expect nothing more than the standard 180gm black form constellation.

no complaints either.

After hanging around here and getting lost in collecting clear and cool colors of some of my favorite records....really, a classic black "heavy vinyl" pressing is where it should start and stop. B)

leave it to Godspeed to show us the way....

41 minutes ago, wiscodeman said:

GY!BE, DMST, and BSS all releasing albums this year. Thank you Canadian post-rock scene. We don't deserve it.

And of those, GY!BE has seen the shortest window of time since their last album, just 2 years ago.  In fact... I think this may be the shortest wait between any of their albums, ever.

1 hour ago, noeling said:

what a time to be alive.