[PO] Godspeed You! Black Emperor – Luciferian Towers

4 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Awesome.  It had such a cool middle section with this almost dance-like beat going on with the drummers and the way they were playing the hi-hats. 

I go back to the setlists from their 2015 US Tour and on many nights they played a song called Buildings. Perhaps that became Luciferian Towers?

Yeah, the band has always toured the upcoming material on whatever current tour they're running.  All of Asunder was one track dubbed Behemoth for a few years.  And before that, Mladic was "Albanian".  It's just what they do.  The visuals for their latest tour (with these songs featured) literally showcased footage of skyscrapers and construction of buildings so it's honestly a bit of a given.  And if they follow the trend of touring this album when it drops, you can probably expect to see new performances for whatever they may tentatively release in 2020 / 2021.

24 minutes ago, Sasan said:

I really hope it doesnt sound as you've described it..."Dance-like beat" :D

Here's a pretty good video from a show a couple of years ago. It's hardly techno but I get his point.

Anyway this song is great and I can't wait for this album. I always assumed, having missed them the first time round, that I'd never get to see them, so I take every chance I can get now. They're always incredible and the visuals are so mesmerising. In Manchester a few years back I sat real close to the projectionist on the balcony, which was really impressive to witness too. Hoping to see them for the fifth time in October, and maybe even hear some songs off the next album!

Edited by Mattallurgist

21 hours ago, Sasan said:

I really hope it doesnt sound as you've described it..."Dance-like beat" :D

I only say that because the drummers kept a pulsing quarter-note beat with the kick drum, and were doing very active hi-hat work.  The song is titled "Nouveau Morceaux" in this video, and it happens right here (20:52).  It's dance-like... not a straight disco beat.  But it's similar.  I love it, personally, because it's very different for them IMO.  It was great live because it really brings a level of energy to their music that's a bit different, and very easy to move to, which is something I'm very drawn to.  I know you guys all probably hate it with a passion, but I love dancing ;) 

EDIT:  Apparently this is the track that people were calling "Buildings". 

Double Edit:  I wish I could delete this post because you guys clarified for him and linked accordingly.  I don't know why I didn't see them first.  :::Sigh::: 

Edited by Gumbo72203

On 7/14/2017 at 0:55 AM, skycriesmary said:

Always a good day when GSYBE announces a new album. And for those of you who have never seen them live, make it fucking happen. It can be a religious experience, completely sober. 

This is exactly what i told a friend who has not seen them yet. The religious experience. Only band that makes me feel similar live is Caspian. 

4 minutes ago, SunsetDramaKing17 said:

This is exactly what i told a friend who has not seen them yet. The religious experience. Only band that makes me feel similar live is Caspian. 

You have a great taste in live music.  I think that Caspian, GY!BE, and Russian Circles are probably my top 3 instrumental acts to catch live.

52 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

You have a great taste in live music.  I think that Caspian, GY!BE, and Russian Circles are probably my top 3 instrumental acts to catch live.

I will unequivocally jump on this train re: those 3 live bands! 

The Buildings track is instant love, already stuck in my head like Moya.

Godspeed are one of the most political/philosophical/religious bands I listen to, and I'm pretty sure my brain fizzes quite contrary to them, but that doesn't seem to affect the musical experience.

I guess that communal living or commune is getting expensive, so they are cranking out more music instead of jacking up vinyl prices?  Nonetheless like Derek said, they're one of the few bands bringing fresh material to the postrock universe.

And I don't know what the "no shipping to Israel" thing is all about (political or just too $$ and risk), but if there are any Godspeed fans in Israel who have trouble getting their vinyl, just let me know and we can probably work something out with a group purchase. I imagine you can get their stuff from amazon or Discogs though. Weird.

When I think about it, I'm surprised they do anything physical, as making Digipaks from recycled paper is nice, and LP jackets somewhat biodegradable, but the CDs and vinyl probably eclipse any ecofriendliness otherwise? Oh well.  September from Kanada!

3 hours ago, _stretts said:

Just as an aside, i'd love some new ASMZ material... Kollaps Tradixionales is one of my all time faves

Agreed. Horses in the Sky is probably one of my all time favorites. Both GSYBE and ASMZ are tremendous in their own right and an example of when bands segment with other members and create something just as good, but different. Unlike Tool>Perfect Circle and a host of other oofie spinoffs.

14 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I remember people posting about how sometimes he like, turns the wattage up on the projectors so that he can burn the reels as they play? 

He was definitely burning frames live when I watched/witnessed/helped out.   

One of the best days I ever had working at venues.  They showed up before we were open for brunch and just chilled all damn day.  Closed for soundcheck.  Sophie's bridge on her violin collapsed so I ran her to a shop to get it fixed on the fly.  Watched them set up that entire puddle of pedals onstage and do a soundcheck, ate with them.  Watched the show, helped breakdown the set.  Ran and got a ton of pizza for them.  Sat around until who knows what o clock talking with Karl and Si (who was running sound for them at the time, hopefully she still is, she was pretty damn great at getting them dialed in at our weird and sonically troubling room).  Memories that I hold in high regard from that venue.

I remember seeing these guys live in '99, and 2000 and it was absolutely incredible, especially the 2000 show. Arguably top 3 show of all time for me. I'm glad to see them really active these days,  releasing new music and touring, but the reunion shows that I've seen, while really good, don't really compare to the sheer power of their stuff back in the day. 

Edited by robes

14 minutes ago, robes said:

but the reunion shows that I've seen, while really good, don't really compare to the sheer power of their stuff back in the day. 

Care to explain what the differences are, specifically?  Did they play The Sad Mafioso back in the day?  Because that shook the building and left the entire audience exasperated, a few years back – especially with the visual components and climax.  I really don't see how it'd pale to anything.