[PO] Godspeed You! Black Emperor – Luciferian Towers

I can't figure out what drugs I need to be on to understand this music.  I've been listening to stuff on YouTube to try to get a grasp of what these guys sound like and it's just a lot of feedback and noise to me right now.

im going to try weed first.  Then I'm going to take a few somas that are lying around.  I'll get a good buzz from some vodka after that and have some tramadol in the cabinet I'll hit after that if I still can't figure it out.  

Im excited for the new album like all of you guys, but I can't figure out what state of mind I need to be in to enjoy it.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

22 minutes ago, Bu$hleaguer said:

I can't figure out what drugs I need to be on to understand this music.  I've been listening to stuff on YouTube to try to get a grasp of what these guys sound like and it's just a lot of feedback and noise to me right now.

im going to try weed first.  Then I'm going to take a few somas that are lying around.  I'll get a good buzz from some vodka after that and have some tramadol in the cabinet I'll hit after that if I still can't figure it out.  

Im excited for the new album like all of you guys, but I can't figure out what state of mind I need to be in to enjoy it.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

The only joke in this post is you my guy. Maybe add another couple paragraphs to hammer it in there.

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

The only joke in this post is you my guy. Maybe add another couple paragraphs to hammer it in there.

Oh, I wasn't joking at all though.  If youre not even going to point me in the direction of what to start with with their music I'm not interested in bedding you.  You'll have to court me in better ways than that.  I don't sleep with just anyone, sunshine.

18 minutes ago, Bu$hleaguer said:

Oh, I wasn't joking at all though.  If youre not even going to point me in the direction of what to start with with their music I'm not interested in bedding you.  You'll have to court me in better ways than that.  I don't sleep with just anyone, sunshine.

You don't understand Godspeed and I don't understand the appeal of Dave Matthews. Not everyone has to be into everything. Cool, huh?

11 minutes ago, kjkenney said:

You don't understand Godspeed and I don't understand the appeal of Dave Matthews. Not everyone has to be into everything. Cool, huh?

Boy you guys sure are defensive.  I was thinking more along the lines of "give Yanqui a listen first and then move onto Asunder.  If you can enjoy track 4 you'll know what they're all about.  They started with X sound but have gotten more towards Y sound as they've evolved....". Etc.

4 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Which makes you the joke, see? Try harder ;p

Oh gosh, sounds like your skinny jeans are too tight and your beard a bit itchy this morning.  Can't you at least explain where someone should start with this band instead of poorly attempting to insult me?  if I'm the joke, unfortunately your ability to pay for an hour of people tuning instruments and playing with effects pedals pressed on wax has lowered you to a level of mockery inconsistent with most on this board.

4 hours ago, Bu$hleaguer said:

I'd start with "Lift Your Skinny Fists..." Give it a few listens and see what you think.

12 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Care to explain what the differences are, specifically?  Did they play The Sad Mafioso back in the day?  Because that shook the building and left the entire audience exasperated, a few years back – especially with the visual components and climax.  I really don't see how it'd pale to anything.

It's hard to pinpoint one reason why I think it was more powerful back in the day. Probably a few things combined together. They played material solely from the first three releases only, which IMHO, are their crown achievements. Hearing all of F#A# was immense, especially the Dead Flag Blues outro, which is beautiful live. Also, having a cellist back in the day added another layer to the sound, especially for playing the older material. Also, this doesn't take away from the recent shows, but you have to remember that back then, post-rock was still pretty fresh,  so seeing this stuff blasted live was something fairly new to me (and others), which added to the resonance at the time.  Not really trying to take away from their recent performances, which are still very, very good. 

Edited by robes

I just want to know what the guy listened to when he decided it was all feedback and noise or whatever.  I can think of the droney middle of Asunder (the album), and a bit in Mladic that features some feedback.  I don't really know.  The same guy was asking how to get into Circa Survive earlier this week – not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that – which strikes me as a little odd, since I had no interest in Godspeed or any real "challenging" music at the age I was exploring Circa and comparable bands.

LYSF is god-tier, but I don't know if he'll get as much from it.  Hope that doesn't sound too pretentious, but I can't really imagine anyone thoroughly enjoying it if they've checked out a variety of GY!BE tracks on Youtube and determined that they're pointless feedback and noise.  That's just me.  Something like the Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada EP may be a better choice – it's got the attention-span-friendly runtime of 29 minutes, some really nice builds and climaxes, and even a couple of vocal samples to fixate on.

23 hours ago, Bu$hleaguer said:

Thank You!!!

giving it a whirl now.

Yeah....  I didn't like Godspeed until I heard that record.  They are certainly one unique band... and it takes a while to soak everything in and "get it".  You would also do well to check out the "New Zero Kanada" EP, because that's a bit more grounded in the rock idiom than most of their stuff. 

Some people just don't have the patience to sit through a 22 minute song though.  I thought I was pretty well-versed in patience, and even when I saw Swans I felt myself asking "jesus, it's been 15 minutes, are they going to play another riff yet?"  So...  its a tricky thing.  Sometimes I'm in the mood for Godspeed, and sometimes not.  They are one of a kind. 

• 3 weeks later...

RT posted their preorder

https://roughtrade.com/music/luciferian-towers

This, this long-playing record, a thing we made in the midst of communal mess, raising dogs and children. eyes up and filled with dreadful joy – we aimed for wrong notes that explode, a quiet muttering amplified heavenward. we recorded it all in a burning motorboat.

1. UNDOING A LUCIFERIAN TOWERS – look at that fucking skyline! big lazy money writ in dull marble obelisks! imagine all those buildings much later on, hollowed out and stripped bare of wires and glass, listen- the wind is whistling through all 3,000 of its burning window-holes!

2. BOSSES HANG – labor, alienated from the wealth it creates, so that holy cow, most of us live precariously! kicking at it, but barely hanging on! also – the proud illuminations of our shortened lives! also – more of us than them! also – what we need now is shovels, wells, and barricades!

3. FAM / FAMINE – how they kill us = absentee landlord, burning high-rise. the loud panics of child-policemen and their exploding trigger-hands. with the dull edge of an arbitrary meritocracy. neglect, cancer maps, drone strike, famine. the forest is burning and soon they’ll hunt us like wolves.

4. ANTHEM FOR NO STATE – kanada, emptied of its minerals and dirty oil. emptied of its trees and water. a crippled thing, drowning in a puddle, covered in ants. the ocean doesn’t give a shit because it knows it’s dying too.

Finally and in conclusion; The “luciferian towers” L.P. was informed by the following grand demands:

+ an end to foreign invasions

+ an end to borders

+ the total dismantling of the prison-industrial complex

+healthcare, housing, food and water acknowledged as an inalienable human right

+ the expert fuckers who broke this world never get to speak again

much love to all the other lost and wondering ones, xoxoxox god’s pee / montréal / 4 juillet, 2017.

LP - Heavyweight 180 Gram audiophile pressing from Optimal (Germany) and comes in a Gatefold jacket printed on uncoated paperboard with a printed inner dust sleeve and a 24"x24" pull-out poster that re-caps all four of the artwork panels created by Godspeed You! Black Emperor for the gatefold jacket. Comes with Download.

Edited by lethalenforcer