PO: Josh Ritter - Gathering

19 minutes ago, backpackoat said:

The tour alongside this album is coming to my town. Has anyone seen him live? How would you recommend it for a generally casual fan?

I think he's great live, one of my favorites, I try not to miss him when he comes to town. He always seems so happy to be up on stage and playing music.

11 hours ago, ksuwdboots said:

I think he's great live, one of my favorites, I try not to miss him when he comes to town. He always seems so happy to be up on stage and playing music.

Totally agree. Have seen him 5-6 times in the last 15 years and he does not disappoint. Genuinely appears to love to play, which is so important to me.

Might check him out on this tour - haven't seen him since a preview show for Beast in its Tracks.

• 1 month later...

Is anyone else as disappointed as I am with this new record? It just feels a lot more forced - the songwriting in particular I found lacklustre (the production is actually some of the nicest of any of his albums). Usually his clever wordplay makes his songs stand out, but other than Dreams, there really isn't much of it that is too exciting. Trains Go By is a huge misstep - almost sound like he's going for the easy hooks rather than writing a song (the chorus just seems too obvious). Obviously I like that he's not just trying to redo Animal Years/Hello Starling, but this album feels a bit directionless (or just that it really wants to be a Grateful Dead album, but truly is not one). The middle, with three 6+ minute songs in a row, is quite the slog....

9 hours ago, Sidney Crosley said:

Is anyone else as disappointed as I am with this new record? It just feels a lot more forced - the songwriting in particular I found lacklustre (the production is actually some of the nicest of any of his albums). Usually his clever wordplay makes his songs stand out, but other than Dreams, there really isn't much of it that is too exciting. Trains Go By is a huge misstep - almost sound like he's going for the easy hooks rather than writing a song (the chorus just seems too obvious). Obviously I like that he's not just trying to redo Animal Years/Hello Starling, but this album feels a bit directionless (or just that it really wants to be a Grateful Dead album, but truly is not one). The middle, with three 6+ minute songs in a row, is quite the slog....

I love his work but I honestly feel like it's been downhill since So Runs the World Away. That was his last album with multiple tracks that blew me away. Especially Another New World. Still love and respect the guy. I'll always catch him when he's in town but I just can't get excited about new material these days. 

• 1 month later...