PO: Converge - I Can Tell You About Pain 7"

23 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

RIP Saratoga Winners. I know Ted Step Up tried to buy it from the brothers that owned it and they wouldn't sell...then it abruptly closed and mysteriously burned down. I think he owns Northern Lights now, which would explain why it's way less shitty these days.

I really wanted to go to that Cryptopsy show, but couldn't make it out.

Converge played Winners (with Darkest Hour, The Red Chord, Ringworm, and Thousands) fall of 05, Valentine's (with MLIW, Some Girls, and Kylesa) fall of 06, Northern Lights (with Mastodon) in early 08, and the Washington Ave Armory (with Dethklok and Mastodon) in like 2010. I was at all of them except the last one.

Poughkeepsie seems to be getting more shows than us now and fuck ever going back there. But yeah most bands hit NYC and then Rochester or Buffalo rather than Albany.

Good god....  Converge played Valentines that late in their career?  I can't even....  wow.  That must have been completely unhinged.  I did see Suffocation there in 2004 and THAT was probably the craziest show I'll ever experience.  There must have been 500 people upstairs.  You literally could not move.  Those were all during the time i was out of extreme music though, so I guess it makes sense that I didn't hear about them (also why I missed out on seeing Isis...)

But yeah, I believe Ted owns Northern Lights now.  I miss his pre-show pep talks that he would always do before the first band came on.  "Go wild, get crazy, swing your firsts, but take care of each other and pick your brother up when he falls.  Now here is Burning Bridges..."

18 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Good god....  Converge played Valentines that late in their career?  I can't even....  wow.  That must have been completely unhinged.  I did see Suffocation there in 2004 and THAT was probably the craziest show I'll ever experience.  There must have been 500 people upstairs.  You literally could not move.  Those were all during the time i was out of extreme music though, so I guess it makes sense that I didn't hear about them (also why I missed out on seeing Isis...)

But yeah, I believe Ted owns Northern Lights now.  I miss his pre-show pep talks that he would always do before the first band came on.  "Go wild, get crazy, swing your firsts, but take care of each other and pick your brother up when he falls.  Now here is Burning Bridges..."

My favorite thing he said was at a Thursday/mewithoutyou show at Winners  in like 06. "Alright, whose excited about Slayer next month!?! Yeah! Eh, you kids aren't going to Slayer"

Converge at Valentine's wasn't even sold out and I remember them advertising "Only 250 tickets will be sold"

10 minutes ago, ejc625 said:

I didn't even click this and the riff will be stuck in my head all day

Annnnnnd I'm 90% sure I'm going to the show in Brooklyn on Saturday. Working 4am-1pm, driving the 3+ hours to the city, driving back, and then working 6am-2pm.

No I won't pick up the 7" for you. IF I grab an extra, I'll sell it very reasonably to someone here though (but please don't ask).

7 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Annnnnnd I'm 90% sure I'm going to the show in Brooklyn on Saturday. Working 4am-1pm, driving the 3+ hours to the city, driving back, and then working 6am-2pm.

No I won't pick up the 7" for you. IF I grab an extra, I'll sell it very reasonably to someone here though (but please don't ask).

Please pick me up the 7", that I already grabbed a copy of tonight! 

Finally got my ticket for Mondays Philly show. Super excited to FINALLY see this band. If they are selling multiple, I will buy a couple extra 7"s. I don't even know how to ship them though. I don't have any 7" mailers. Any advice on that? Padded shipping envelopes? Either way, I'll try to hook some people up. 

14 minutes ago, SunsetDramaKing17 said:

Padded shipping envelopes? 

In a pinch, you can cut some cardboard to a little over 7x7 and sandwich the 7" between them and then tape around it to make sure it won't slide out.  Then toss it in the mailer.  It's not ideal, but I've had plenty of 7"s shipped that way and they've always showed up ok.

1 minute ago, jonrawks said:

In a pinch, you can cut some cardboard to a little over 7x7 and sandwich the 7" between them and then tape around it to make sure it won't slide out.  Then toss it in the mailer.  It's not ideal, but I've had plenty of 7"s shipped that way and they've always showed up ok.

Yeah I've seen that. Thank you. Appreciate the advice! 

4 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

Apparently Andre 3000 was at last night's show

Yeah, we're basically BFFs now.

Pretty sure my friend got a concussion. I'm surprised he didn't break any toes, he was missing a shoe for all of Eagles Become Vultures, Concubine, and Jane Doe.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, ethereal said:

looks like Eve didn't make the cut

Makes me feel a lot more comfortable about ignoring my distaste for singles to grab a copy of that ICTYAP 7".  I wouldn't be opposed to an AWLWLB approach, either, where "deluxe" versions of the album included tracks only available on prior 7"s leading up to the official release.