PO: August Burns Red - "Phantom Anthem"

Ordered a swamp green with black haze earlier, I'm hoping it's a merge like the mock up shows as opposed to an actual haze (I always read about how bad the surface noise is on those). Agreed about wishing the 700 and the 300 were swapped, the 700 looks great but I can just never seem to not choose the most limited lol.

1 hour ago, Gippej said:

Ordered a swamp green with black haze earlier, I'm hoping it's a merge like the mock up shows as opposed to an actual haze (I always read about how bad the surface noise is on those). Agreed about wishing the 700 and the 300 were swapped, the 700 looks great but I can just never seem to not choose the most limited lol.

IMO haze records aren't that bad if you give it a deep wash upon immediately getting it, they sound like sandpaper going in and out of the sleeves. Yeah grabbed that /700 myself.

Geeze, I'm out of town for a couple days and miss an entire variant? Wanted that swamp but will settle for the splatter. Really dig that 7-inch book but having a hard time convincing myself to drop that much on an album I've only heard one song from, especially considering how little I listen to their last record these days. New song is probably better than anything on FIFAP, though, two listens in.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, rcafilm said:

Heads up for anyone still looking for Leveler on vinyl, Solid State is putting a repress on their store tomorrow (Thursday) at 2 PM Pacific.

I guess I'll have to grab it since the other variants are hard to come by. Any comment on whether the OG 2xLP version sounds better than the single LP?

3 hours ago, MCDELTAT said:

I guess I'll have to grab it since the other variants are hard to come by. Any comment on whether the OG 2xLP version sounds better than the single LP?

It's been a while since I've researched, but I believe the consensus was that neither pressing was outstanding. I believe the CI pressing (car cover, dark starburst) was known as being unpleasantly compressed, among other flaws (CI is owned by nice folks but every pressing I have by them is pretty rough). The 2x gatefold pressing (chicken cover, clear) was apparently better but still had some sort of issues. Mostly I remember considering getting either pressing but passing because of the negative reports, so I never ended up picking this up. Hopefully this pressing is competent, but that would be... a change of pace for Solid State.

3 hours ago, MCDELTAT said:

8 minutes ago, rcafilm said:

It's been a while since I've researched, but I believe the consensus was that neither pressing was outstanding. I believe the CI pressing (car cover, dark starburst) was known as being unpleasantly compressed, among other flaws (CI is owned by nice folks but every pressing I have by them is pretty rough). The 2x gatefold pressing (chicken cover, clear) was apparently better but still had some sort of issues. Mostly I remember considering getting either pressing but passing because of the negative reports, so I never ended up picking this up. Hopefully this pressing is competent, but that would be... a change of pace for Solid State.

My swamp swirl variant 1xLP souds great, i've heard horror stories about the 2xLP pressing though.

35 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

Both interesting observations. I wasn't super impressed with the Constellations repress either, but what can you do... Weird that the 2xLP sounded worse, since that generally just means more room to widen out the grooves, add more depth, etc.

The 2xLP of Leveler has four additional songs though. And wasn't there a mint green tour variant for Leveler? Guess it'd be the same as the splatter one.

I listened to my first press of Constellations after a listen of my repress of Messengers and thought (Constellations) was quieter. Has anyone been able to compare the Constellation presses?

1 hour ago, rcafilm said:

Hopefully this pressing is competent, but that would be... a change of pace for Solid State.

Solid State (and Tooth & Nail) is probably my favorite label... but yeah, I wish they would treat their vinyl releases better. Better quality in sound... adding inserts... maybe pressing other things instead of reissues. (Not that reissues aren't wanted/needed.) I'd kill for more Haste the Day, Oh Sleeper, MyChildren MyBride, Becoming the Archetype, finishing my Demon Hunter discog, or newer ones like The Ongoing Concept, etc.

2 hours ago, ethereal said:

My swamp swirl variant 1xLP souds great, i've heard horror stories about the 2xLP pressing though.

Super interesting to hear. Either way I'm very curious if this new reissue will end up the same quality as the CI pressing. Wonder if it would be the same plates.