PO NOW: Beck "Colors" 10/13/2017

Just listened to Dear Life. Thanks to the poster who shared it here.

Much much better than Dreams and Wow for me. It was nice to see that guitar in there and that brief bridge reminded me of that sound he was playing with in those 12" singles he released before Morning Phase. I might have to just buy this and have faith that Dreams/Wow are the outliers as far as sound/genre.

Also LOL at the $13 cassette. I love the idea that large labels and bands are pricing cassettes like they are CDs and this is 2003.

Edited by richardsurf

1 hour ago, timpopkid said:

Midnight Vultures was garbage too. Sea Change and pretty much all of his acoustic stuff is great. Aside from Morning Phase, which although wasn't bad, was pretty boring.

Give me Mellow Gold and OFITG all day every day.

Hard to take anyone seriously when they say Midnite Vultures was garbage.

It blows my mind that Midnite Vultures gets so much love. I just don't get it. It has always been the least enjoyable Beck record for me, though Wow and Dreams have me suspecting Colors will be close to matching it. I'm definitely in the group that enjoys his folk and blues inspired material more than his pop records.

Mutations is the greatest album of the late 90s, hands-down. Only Massive Attack's Mezzanine comes close.

Not sure if I'm buying this. Will have to listen to the whole thing first. I really don't like the lyrics of Wow. Honestly even with Dreams. and Dear Life, which is great, I'd rather hear the instrumentals.

I might buy Dear Life and Dreams if they come out in 7" and/or 12". Beck has OK b-sides and remixes on average.

Edited by armadillo01

2 hours ago, aphasias said:

It blows my mind that Midnite Vultures gets so much love. I just don't get it. It has always been the least enjoyable Beck record for me, though Wow and Dreams have me suspecting Colors will be close to matching it. I'm definitely in the group that enjoys his folk and blues inspired material more than his pop records.

Don't get me wrong, I think Mellow Gold is my favorite, followed by One Foot and Sea Change, but it's hard to deny the man had a hot streak going there for a while. I can't identify anything he's ever put out that strikes me as "bad" (besides, pending your opinion on freak-folk stuff, some of Golden Feelings/Harvest Field/Soulmanure).