New TT? Mid range or bottom range/high end manufacture?

I have kind of a weird question. I feel like there are 3 classes of product brands in pretty much any category, entry, mid, high end...  For example.. in the world of Turntables you have the stuff you would see at brick and mortar stores, Crosly, Sony, Denon(maybe), audio technica. Then there is mid level, Project, Rega, etc. Then higher end, Clear Audio, Origin, Sota, VPI.  There are obviously some overlaps here and there...  

My question is, if you have say $1500 budget, would it be money better spent to get a entry level Sota, VPI, Clear Audio. Or a high model in the range of Pro-Ject, Rega etc? 

Does that make sense? 

Yes it does make sense and logic would say that a higher range turntable from a mid range maker would probably be the better bet but in reality that isn't always the case and there's no rhyme or reason to it.

And if you're looking to spend that sort of money on any bit of HiFi you really do need to be listening and comparing all of the options that you possibly can before your hand goes anywhere near to handing over any money.

Not sure I want to spend that kind of money... my next move is probably a RP3. 

But I think for not much more money I might be able to get into a second hand Clear Audio, Sota, not sure about a VPI..? 

I am am sure the RP3 would be plenty of turntable for me. The others would probably end up being to revealing of my modest setup.