Just to chime in and say nothing new: I popped in the tape earlier while grading papers and, it feels *meh*... I've put off listening to this out of fear or just being busy (I guess). I happily stopped the tape after 4 songs. It's not bad, it's just not what I hoped. I guess I'm looking forward to more OHYO too.

6 hours ago, DecayToDeath said:

I didn't like the new album very much at all but I just saw them and they did well with the Harmlessness stuff, anything older was spotty. All throughout, though, I could tell they were missing a guitar. Sometimes (Getting Sodas, even!!!!) they would use Katie's synth to replace Nicole's part(s).

That's what I figured. Synths can not replace those effects. I'll look at live vids when I can.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I like how they say their lineup is the strongest it's ever been right now yet they release a compilation from before when the band didn't suck. Nicole's stupid White Claw cassette was a more worthwhile release than whatever this shitty group of musicians riding the coattails of past members success could muster up.

RIP Tom I hope your family is getting some of the proceeds.

It's kind of interesting why they brought up the lineup being stronger now because it doesn't really have a lot to do with this release. But, I agree with them on that claim. The difference with how much tighter they have gotten from when I first saw them the summer of 2013 versus the end of 2017 is huge.

5 hours ago, N8TRU said:

It's kind of interesting why they brought up the lineup being stronger now because it doesn't really have a lot to do with this release. But, I agree with them on that claim. The difference with how much tighter they have gotten from when I first saw them the summer of 2013 versus the end of 2017 is huge.

They may’ve tightened up their ability to perform forgettable material in a live setting, but from a songwriting and compositional standpoint they are a shadow of what they used to be, if you ask me.  Close your eyes and revisit a time where they dropped January 10th, 2014 as a single one morning.  What a tragic timeline for these guys.

8 hours ago, Derek™ said:

They may’ve tightened up their ability to perform forgettable material in a live setting, but from a songwriting and compositional standpoint they are a shadow of what they used to be, if you ask me.  Close your eyes and revisit a time where they dropped January 10th, 2014 as a single one morning.  What a tragic timeline for these guys.

ya win some, ya lose some. I see what you mean though.