PO: Green Day - Dookie and Revolution Radio picture discs

• 2 weeks later...

I have the standard black 2009 repress of Dookie and the FYE exclusive "hunter green" variant of RevRad. 

Seeing as both of these are still readily available to the public, why is a picture disc repress even necessary? Sure, they look cool, but wouldn't more people prefer better sound quality at a cheaper price?

54 minutes ago, MyckelJay said:

Seeing as both of these are still readily available to the public, why is a picture disc repress even necessary? Sure, they look cool, but wouldn't more people prefer better sound quality at a cheaper price?

Most Green Day fans won't hear a difference

56 minutes ago, MyckelJay said:

I have the standard black 2009 repress of Dookie and the FYE exclusive "hunter green" variant of RevRad. 

I'm getting the RevRad one since all my copies skip around on the first two tracks. Hopefully this press corrects that.

The Dookie one I want because picture discs look cool.

Just now, Jesus Of Suburbia said:

I'm getting the RevRad one since all my copies skip around on the first two tracks. Hopefully this press corrects that.

Makes sense for RevRad. I heard the red variant has some problems with skipping. Have you tried the FYE one? My copy plays fine. I'm a huge Green Day fan, but for me, these would just be novelties. 

1 minute ago, MyckelJay said:

Makes sense for RevRad. I heard the red variant has some problems with skipping. Have you tried the FYE one? My copy plays fine. I'm a huge Green Day fan, but for me, these would just be novelties. 

I've got the red, green and black and they all do the same thing.

20 hours ago, Jesus Of Suburbia said:

I wouldn't buy a picture disc to listen to, they aren't really made for listening with the plastic they use to press. 

9 minutes ago, noname said:

I wouldn't buy a picture disc to listen to, they aren't really made for listening with the plastic they use to press. 

But if it doesn't skip then it's already a plus for me. I'd rather have a record that plays perfectly on a picture disc than a 180gram that skips.

3 minutes ago, lbw87 said:

i have the red, green, and black and they all play fine after you apply gruv glide to them. first thing to do is to destatic your records...

If literally every other record in my collection plays fine except for these 3 from the same album then there's something wrong with the press. You should see how many people have had the exact same issue as me with RevRad.

Its all dependent on the pressing procedure and run at the time. There was a run of epitaph records about 5 years ago that literally every repress that they made at the time skipped and everyone complained. But no one destatic'd theyre records. They were fine after i put gruv glide on them. Same thing for rev rad. All 3 colors skipped for me when i got them. They didnt after gruv glide. I am guessing they were all pressed at the same time during the same run

On 8/19/2017 at 8:57 PM, lbw87 said:

I am guessing they were all pressed at the same time during the same run

They are all first pressings, but regardless if what run they're from,  a record shouldn't skip fresh out of the package. For a few people, maybe; but not for a mass load of people. While gruv glide might partially or permanently fix the problem, the real problem is in the plates they used. JOS makes sense when they say They'd rather have a poorer sound that doesn't skip than a 180G that does. I agree, and I'm hoping they use new plates for this.

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2017 at 12:13 PM, MyckelJay said:

So these come out today. Let me know if the problem with RevRad has been fixed. My copy plays fine, but I'm curious for the rest.

Curious to know as well. SRC hadn't shipped theirs yet so I cancelled and save $10 by ordering both from Amazon and they'll be here Tuesday.

• 3 years later...