(P.O. Now!) Converge - The Dusk In Us (November 3rd)

Oh wow. Listening to this now...words can't fully express all that I am feeling at the moment and with each song. (Thanks majorly to fellow VCer who hooked me up w/ the download)

Each Converge record is evidently an expansion and progression on what's been done before. There was an interview (I believe) where the band said that they made music for themselves that they wanted to hear and hence not sounding like anything else that was out there. Sure, the outside musical influences and permeate through...but that's normal expectation and behavior in music. But c'mon, Converge have been able to carve such a special and unique of their own that they've gone way beyond their HxC & Metal roots in their 27 years of existence. 

Listening to The Dusk In Us is yet another crux and amalgamation of everything they've done before and still pushing themselves in the sound that's their own and only for themselves. Lucky us that they've chosen to share this gift of art and sound with us. Really, this record is still the heaviness in sound and heart that we know of the band and still pushing thing forward with an emotion that we can all relate to. It's a calculated and freeing exercise in what heartfelt heaviness sounds like.

(And just writing all of that shows that I dearly miss writing for music blogs...it's been so long.)

I’ve listened a few times on Spotify while I wait for my red copy to arrive. Definitely a good album, though it may be slightly different than I was expecting. One of the most surprising things for me was the shift in lyrical change (at least from my interpretations) from more personal catharsis to some pretty modern commentary on politics (trigger for example, assuming that song is meant to be taken at face value). Cannaibals is fucking great, so is the title track. I’m interested to see how I feel after a few more listens in comparison to the rest of their discography, overall I’m impressed.

Edited by Gippej

This is my album of the year.  An incredible record.  Think I've listened to it about 10 times already.

Also, good call on not including Eve.  Not sure how it would've fit into this collection of songs which seems pretty perfectly paced.  Would love to here Jacob's take on why they decided not to include it.

1 hour ago, hallowken78 said:

Also, good call on not including Eve.  Not sure how it would've fit into this collection of songs which seems pretty perfectly paced.  Would love to here Jacob's take on why they decided not to include it.

I was actually pretty bummed Eve didn't make the cut. Such an amazing track 

Just listened to this full album on bandcamp and even though it was on laptop speakers, I found myself pretty blown away. All I can say is "Trigger." Wow. That track kills me. There are a few highlights on this overall completely excellent album. Can't wait to grab a copy. Trying to pause any LP purchases for the month of November. I may end up grabbing this even though I've banned myself from new vinyl. Its really fucking good. 

Fucking "Trigger" though, man. 

I feel like a piece of shit because I still haven't given AWLWLB a full listen. Its been four damn years. What is wrong with me?

3 hours ago, raynerho said:

Just saw this on Jeremy Bolm's (Touche Amore's vocalist) instagram page.

Slick. I’m at four down,  four to go, but almost the opposite.  Got violet, indigo, blue and red coming in, and need green, yellow, orange and the impossible rainbow.   Listened to it a half dozen times already and it just gets better. 

4 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

Just listened to this full album on bandcamp and even though it was on laptop speakers, I found myself pretty blown away. All I can say is "Trigger." Wow. That track kills me. There are a few highlights on this overall completely excellent album. Can't wait to grab a copy. Trying to pause any LP purchases for the month of November. I may end up grabbing this even though I've banned myself from new vinyl. Its really fucking good. 

Fucking "Trigger" though, man. 

I feel like a piece of shit because I still haven't given AWLWLB a full listen. Its been four damn years. What is wrong with me?

Yuck. You listened to a Converge album for the first time on laptop speakers hah

5 hours ago, ejc625 said:

Yuck. You listened to a Converge album for the first time on laptop speakers hah

Sometimes life is tough. I was dying to hear it and it was my only option at the time. My main receiver had literally just blown. It was late and my other stereo system was too close to my sleeping girlfriend. I couldn't wait anymore.

interesting quote but not a sentiment i disagree with if i were to compare eve to a few of the lp tracks...

“We all disagreed about what the strongest songs were, and which songs made for the best record. I think we’re all equally unhappy with what ended up on the album. It was a compromise. Some of the songs on that album are actually some of the weakest ones that we recorded, and some of the ones that aren’t on the album are the strongest. We’re just not exactly sure how we’re going to release them yet. Whether it’s B-sides, or an EP, we don’t know yet.”

http://www.theprp.com/2017/11/06/news/converge-four-new-songs-left-dusk-us-sessions/