PO - Brand New - Science Fiction

13 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

About halfway through and so far I'm with you. I've dug probably two songs so far. It's not terrible...it's just not great.

Read: first impression of every Brand New record ever.  Started with Deja back in the day and I've felt this way about it and every subsequent album since then.  I'd be more concerned if you loved every track on first listen.

Just now, Satan said:

its hard to believe this band is still relevant.

Is it?  You've been on VC a while now.

6 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Pretty much this. 

I can't really pinpoint the vibe I'm getting from it. It sounds like SOMETHING and I just can't put my finger on it.

Very 90’s to me at times. I can’t recall which song, but I thought I was hearing Alice In Chains for a second. 

5 minutes ago, deafening said:

Very 90’s to me at times. I can’t recall which song, but I thought I was hearing Alice In Chains for a second. 

I was texting a friend during my first listen and about halfway through I said "Its kinda like a 90s alt band trying to be The Cure...sort of..."

14 minutes ago, Satan said:

its hard to believe this band is still relevant.

I actually totally agree with this. I wouldn't call myself a "fan" but I like at something off each of their albums.

But I remember when they played some dive here with TBS in like 2002?ish? and then all of a sudden 1/4 of my high school had the same BN shirt. Then I remember Deja dropping. If you told me then about how they'd be viewed post-2010 I would have been like "No fucking way. Not a chance."

I've known them almost for half my life and while I like them...I just don't "get" it.

7 minutes ago, ryantark said:

Yeah, good 90's rock. The second track's verse is pretty much In The Garage.  Can't unhear it. 

THANK YOU. I definitely thought "This sounds like Weezer..." but again, couldn't put my finger on it.

It's like 90s alt rock but mopey in a post 2000 way.

So its a decent album, but not as good as people are going to make it out to be. It's ironic, but they'd be a better band if they hit the same ceiling as Taking Back Sunday. No one expects a new TBS album to change their life, but if it's not straight garbage they're happy. (Note: I've only heard 2 post-Where You Want to Be TBS songs...not including that time I saw them in like 2009? 2010? touring with Weezer...and the only song they played that I knew was Cute Without the E and I'm still mad about it)

First listen through... just absolutely brilliant...loved every song and that I could hear echoes of the past three records throughout but the most interesting thing is where those records were filled with a lot of anger and are for the most part very aggressive, this record is so subdued and that is the brilliance of it. I can't wait to dig more into it lyrically but I feel a really despondent vibe 

Also, I got some serious Pink Floyd vibes from this...maybe it is just me being weird but I seriously hear a little Wish You Were Here in there somewhere

2 minutes ago, blanketburrito said:

Do you think the Aus exclusive is limited or "indefinite" along with the standard black?

Looks to be sold out.  I just had one in my cart and was having a real internal struggle on whether or not I needed to spend another $50 on this album and it sold out by the time I decided to do it.  I read on another forum that it was limited to 400 but I don't know where they got that info.

1 minute ago, dantheriver said:

Looks to be sold out.  I just had one in my cart and was having a real internal struggle on whether or not I needed to spend another $50 on this album and it sold out by the time I decided to do it.  I read on another forum that it was limited to 400 but I don't know where they got that info.

OH NO hahaha I was right there with you. I've had my cursor hovering over the buy now button for like 2 hours wondering if I should spend the money on this. 

3 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

Hmm, lets me add to cart and complete purchase, so I think it's still readily available. 

Just now, panasonicyouth said:

Hmm, lets me add to cart and complete purchase, so I think it's still readily available. 

Yea, it's working for me again now.  Just a moment ago it told me an item in my cart sold out, then the product page showed sold out and let me sign up for a notification if it became available.  I promise I know how to internet.

Just now, dantheriver said:

Yea, it's working for me again now.  Just a moment ago it told me an item in my cart sold out, then the product page showed sold out and let me sign up for a notification if it became available.  I promise I know how to internet.

Hahah. The universe is sending conflicting signals as to whether you should pick up the white copy, I see. Back to the dilemma!

Just now, AdamJNovak said:

So from what I'm understanding, there's no difference between the "very limited" vinyl and the one they're selling now? Only difference was the CD that people got in the mail today?

Nobody knows. But I seriously doubt they hiked up the price just to add on a seamless, 1-song version of the album on a CD and then call that a "very limited vinyl."