PO - Brand New - Science Fiction

4 minutes ago, ghostea said:

I'm trying to somehow think of a way that there might possibly be a CD headed my way but I highly doubt it... A friend of mine in Germany got one today, and I'm in the southern US so it would probably be here by now. Oh well, at least I got the """""very limited""""" vinyl.

""""""couldn't agree more""""""

9 minutes ago, DafTyler said:

Wait is desert an anti gay song? 

It's an anti-bible thumper song. It's from the point of view of a "pious" or religious man who is wary of the outside world's influence on the "righteous" man he is raising.  Talking about how he's ready for liberal bleeding hearts to come and take away his freedoms and he'll shoot 'em if they try. 

I got my faith, I got my family

I got a wire fence around my whole stake

If I believe only half what I read

I got a reason to be dug in deep

All he's got is faith and family, and he's protecting his family and land from the dangers of the liberals! He only believes the half of what he reads that fits his ideology and so he digs in deep on his arguments without seeing the other side.

I seen those boys kissing boys

With their mouth in the street

But I raised my son to be a righteous man

I made it clear to him what fear of God means

I'd hold him down on the Tompkins Lake

Before I ever let him go to the wolves

The path we walk is only narrow and straight

No son of mine will wander astray

Abomination

He raised his son to be righteous and fear God (who hates gays!) - the path that he and his son will walk is narrow and straight and he won't let his son go astray (or he'll disown him hence the "don't come running to me when the come for you" hinting that the son disagrees with his father on this stuff.

Last night I heard a voice that said, “Don't give up your gun”

They keep washing right up on those shores

Man they're gathering their numbers up

Those bleeding hearts come marching down my road

Well I'll be waiting right here at my door

It's a lie to say it wouldn't be fun

If you're joining them then I got one

With your name on it

Scared to give up his gun because he has to defend himself from the big gay army! the bleeding hearts are gonna come and lead his son astray. And if his son joins them, he'll put a bullet in him.

The POV in the song is from the "righteous" father, but the focus is the son who has gone "astray" (in the fathers' eyes).

Edited by rooks

Beautifully summarized rooks.

9 minutes ago, rooks said:

It's an anti-bible thumper song. It's from the point of view of a "pious" or religious man who is wary of the outside world's influence on the "righteous" man he is raising.  Talking about how he's ready for liberal bleeding hearts to come and take away his freedoms and he'll shoot 'em if they try. 

All he's got is faith and family, and he's protecting his family and land from the dangers of the liberals! He only believes the half of what he reads that fits his ideology and so he digs in deep on his arguments without seeing the other side.

He raised his son to be righteous and fear God (who hates gays!) - the path that he and his son will walk is narrow and straight and he won't let his son go astray (or he'll disown him hence the "don't come running to me when the come for you" hinting that the son disagrees with his father on this stuff.

Scared to give up his gun because he has to defend himself from the big gay army! the bleeding hearts are gonna come and lead his son astray. And if his son joins them, he'll put a bullet in him.

The POV in the song is from the "righteous" father, but the focus is the son who has gone "astray" (in the fathers' eyes).

25 minutes ago, rooks said:

That was kinda the vibe i was getting too. I just wanted someone to say it too haha.

The last lyric is just what threw me off i guess.  

14 minutes ago, zuck said:

Haven't seen a lot of people listing Can't Get It Out as one of there favorites, but it's easily mine.

is that the 2nd track? If so, that is perfect BN to me. Moody but still fun. Grungey but still nu-emo/pop-punk whatever you wanna call it. I wish they'd release a whole album of just upbeat Nirvana-Morriss-emo fun songs.

the guitar effect in Out of Mana is one of the coolest things I have ever heard. this album fucking rules so hard. definitely shocked I am enjoying it as much as I am.

sent my friend a link to Out of Mana and he was all, "I hate brand new, sorry" and I told him please just give it a try. 6 minutes later he messages me and says, "ok, that was cool." haha

1 hour ago, rooks said:

I agree with how you've classified the song, but it in no way explains how Brand New wrote it. The lyrics simply do not fit any of their previous catalogue, in any way (style or substance). the most blatant lyrics theyve ever written, and the only song of theirs that reminds me what year it is when listening to it (references to "bleeding hearts" etc). very out of character

Edited by rogeoa8

1 minute ago, rogeoa8 said:

I agree with how you've classified the song, but it in no way explains how Brand New wrote it. The lyrics simply do not fit any of their previous catalogue, in any way.

Good thing no one asked the question that I didn't answer, then! :)

And, it also does fit in thematically and lyrically with some of their other stuff. Brother's Song for example. They rarely branch off into the political, I'll grant you that... but the political/religious rhetoric has been heavy in Brand New's last 4 releases (including the demos and SF).

7 minutes ago, richardsurf said:

is that the 2nd track? If so, that is perfect BN to me. Moody but still fun. Grungey but still nu-emo/pop-punk whatever you wanna call it. I wish they'd release a whole album of just upbeat Nirvana-Morriss-emo fun songs.

Yeah, that's the one. Makes me smile every time it starts playing.

Just now, rooks said:

Good thing no one asked the question that I didn't answer, then! :)

And, it also does fit in thematically and lyrically with some of their other stuff. Brother's Song for example. They rarely branch off into the political, I'll grant you that... but the political/religious rhetoric has been heavy in Brand New's last 4 releases (including the demos and SF).

Oh yeah wasn't blaming you, just kind of exclaiming that rhetorically, because after digging deep into what (I think) are some of the themes of TDAG and their previous work, I initially thought the song was more likely to be genuine than satirical (not the right word), which obviously baffled me due to the directness of the lyrics. Was thinking "good thing they have their own label" if the lyrics were genuine, cause divergent political views are a death sentence in this industry.

Just now, rogeoa8 said:

Oh yeah wasn't blaming you, just kind of exclaiming that rhetorically, because after digging deep into what (I think) are some of the themes of TDAG and their previous work, I initially thought the song was more likely to be genuine than satirical (not the right word), which obviously baffled me due to the directness of the lyrics. Was thinking "good thing they have their own label" if the lyrics were genuine, cause divergent political views are a death sentence in this industry.

The last line in the song is "God is Love".  I'm not going to deep dive on it too much because I'm no expert in every lyrics of Brand New's and I don't have the time atm to dig into each - but over the past couple of releases Jesse has made it clear that he has issues with the Roman Catholic/Judeo-Christian upbringing he had and how he was taught to understand and deal with God. There has been a ton of lyrics over those releases rejecting the ideas of the bible, or fearing God, or God/Jesus doing these miraculous things but also hinting towards some acceptance of the IDEA of a 'God'.  

My guess is they wrote a song because they hate how the bible-thumping demographic uses God to preach fear/hate - where they/he sees God as love. OR - the last line is 'God is Love' is still from the point of view of the "righteous" father and it's further pointing out how categorically contradictory his ideals are.

If you're joining them then I got one

With your name on it

Don't come running to me, when they're coming for you.

God is Love.

I can't pretend to know what was really going on during the writing process, but these feelings have been hinted at pretty heavily over the past 4 releases. Just my 2 cents.

25 minutes ago, richardsurf said:

exactly why it's up there for me. plus the line 'got my messiah impression, i think i got it nailed down' made me chuckle.

1 minute ago, whoa said:

I actually like 451, it's a little bit infectious like a Kesha banger. 

I was so close to liking this, but then you done goofed.

Ya'll are fuckin up for real though, because 451 is pretty baller.

My guess is anyone who sees them on this tour will have a change of heart because that track is gonna be brutal live.

Edited by rooks

27 minutes ago, januarytwenty said:

Favorite songs: Can't Get It Out, No Control, Batter Up, Out of Mana

Least Favorite: 451, Desert

Can't Get It Out and No Control are the standouts for me.

451 is the only one I really really dislike. It's unpleasant in a way that is not entertaining or engaging and the mental image of the band *really* getting into it and a random guy running on stage and playing discordant trumpet during the climax doesn't move the meter for me. The fishes song makes me cringe but sometimes I zone out and miss the specific moments that give me that cringe, so it's not as frustrating as 451.

Standouts: Lit Me Up, Can't Get It Out, Waste, Same Logic/Teeth, 137, No Control.

Pretty good: rest of the album.

Really nothing bad or unlikeable about this album. Even the songs I'm not as invested in like 451 or Could Never Be Heaven are still great. 

I'd say Lit Me Up, Waste, and 137 are the favorites though.