PO - Brand New - Science Fiction

25 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Nice.  I wrote them a week ago with a similar inquiry, I'm sure, and got nothing back.  It'd still be cool to own if it showed up, but I'm considerably more excited to see what's in store with the hardcover vinyl edition.  That's what I'd be really bummed to miss out on.

With the growing realization that I'm probably not getting a CD, that's what I keep telling myself too.

Just now, mymirrorspeaks said:

With the growing realization that I'm probably not getting a CD, that's what I keep telling myself too.

The fact that it will be readily available on CD at some point sort of sucks some of the fun out of it.  I think another factor of the appeal – to me – is that it's literally the only physical representation of the album floating around out there until October.  That's kind of cool.  But if I had one, I'm not even sure I'd get around to playing it.  I'm essentially crossing my fingers for an insert and an envelope that someone over at PTM hand-numbered.  Again, I'd love to own it, but the combination of those things are nowhere near $200+ to me.  I'm demoting myself to tier-2 Brand New fandom.

Against better judgement, I probably would've sprung for that white Aussie variant if my New Years Resolution wasn't "stop buying so many variants".  For like the last 3 years in a row now.

44 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Don't forget that generally speaking, white vinyl scores pretty low on the sound-quality scale of variants.

Very, very general. I have never seen any objective evidence to show white vinyl sounding less superior. White is a dye just like black, and any other color. If any color was in fact superior you'd think it'd be a lack of additives, aka clear vinyl. 

20 hours ago, mr. sincere said:

It was a long time ago and I don't quite remember the order of events, but I believe the first batch had the sticker on the cover itself and then later distributions had it on the plastic sleeve.

But regardless, there are absolutely copies with the sticker on the cover. I own two. 

you can blame $RC for the label on the actual jacket. 

I'm glad the blue transparent tour variant of TDAG didn't have a sticker. It's the only copy I own of that record, but a sticker slapped on the cover would have been frustrating. Weren't there non-gatefold copies released also? 

@tokimedo what's that about SRC being responsible for the sticker? 

After giving this many listens, it has grown on me so much. The only song I skip is Batter Up. I initially didn't think they could end with this album, but I now think this is the perfect send off for them. 

While I do see this as their last album, I don't put it past them to release a secret EP before they are done next year. Be it B-sides or something. 

Being part of a vinyl board and skipping songs in 2017?  Yikes.  Batter Up has some superb vocal melodies, too.  It's such a nice comedown and slow burner after the string of tracks leading up to it.  Love that hazy, surreal outro to it as well – sounds like wandering through a dream you're beginning to wake up from.  Which is kind of perfect if you've got the album on loop and allow it to replay into the intro sample of the woman recalling her dream.

I am having to force myself to play other albums in between listens of SF. If I set this on repeat, I will never stop. 

There is is not a single song I don’t like. After 10+ listens, Lit Me Up may be my favorite, but I still can’t even chose confidently.

edit: in retrospect, it’s been far more than 10 plays.

Edited by deafening

2 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

Still surprised how much I'm digging this.

Lit Me Up reminds me of Sugar For The Pill in some ways, probably two of my favorite tracks from this year.

I could see that for sure.

And to echo what Deafening said, I don't think there's a single weak track on the record.  Some people were griping about Weezer similarities on a few tracks, but those couple of particular songs make me feel like I'm hearing Deja again... but without the melodramatic lyrics.  Can't say anything gives me the same kind of nostalgia that Lacey's vocals and pop-punk power chords do.