PO - Brand New - Science Fiction

18 minutes ago, ASSARTOSE said:

Oh well. Then he's a pedo, and science fiction is their last album FOR REAL(what a coincidence).

I'm also 100% positive(just to justify his actions a little)  that in the beginning of 00s every band from the scene had such story. Because you know...emo, fangirls.

Dude, no. You can't justify his actions at all, as an adult he should have been able to say no to any underage girls if they were the ones trying to initiate anything, but from the stories shared so far he had been the one initiating the inappropriate sexual advances, and of course the fan girls are gonna fall for it, that's where his abuse of his power comes into play.  And it just dawned on me that the movie Almost Famous is pretty much about  30 year old musicians having inappropriate relatinships with teenagers so this isnt anything new, its practiaclly normalized in society, but that is rapidly changing, thankfully

Just now, Bladewillisisdead said:

I know of a few band dudes from the early-mid 00s scene that haven't been called out because it's not my place to tell someone else's story. It has nothing to do with "emo fangirls" and everything to do with scumbag predators preying on young girls because they're "cool" older dudes in a band.

Get right the fuck out of here with that victim blaming bullshit.

5 minutes ago, THE_James_Champ said:

It's 100% not the fault of the "emo, fangirls". It's that kind of mentality that keeps the really bad shit like this below the surface, because the accuser is almost always going to be shamed by someone. 

Calm down.

At firs we will never know how the things were actually was(especially me, because I'm from another country)(maybe I've missed something). And yes, I think, that jail must be Jessie's new home.

You better tell me do you have a thing like "crime expiration date"- like when crime is dated more than 5-10 years you cant be charged for it.

5 minutes ago, Codyoster said:

Dude, no. You can't justify his actions at all, as an adult he should have been able to say no to any underage girls if they were the ones trying to initiate anything, but from the stories shared so far he had been the one initiating the inappropriate sexual advances, and of course the fan girls are gonna fall for it, that's where his abuse of his power comes into play.  And it just dawned on me that the movie Almost Famous is pretty much about  30 year old musicians having inappropriate relatinships with teenagers so this isnt anything new, its practiaclly normalized in society, but that is rapidly changing, thankfully

I've just meant, that they could've lied about their age to get to the band(and you can't always tell people's age by the way they looks). I've known girls that've done that back in the day. That's why I still ask girl to show me her passport every time I've interested in her.

Fun thing I've always thougt, that Brand New was some kind of undefiled cristian band.

5 hours ago, Okami said:

I was able to cancel my Procrastinate and Artist First today. They both responded really fast and Procrastinate already refunded my PayPal.

Hm, pretty tempted to cancel my PMT order now that I've heard this. I just want no part of it. Even thinking about receiving it makes me feel gross.

First time I chimed in on this topic...Is what Jesse did years ago horrible? Sure. Is what Jesse did unforgivable? Absolutely not in my eyes. We don't know all the details and I think everyone canceling their orders and writing the entire band off is a little ridiculous. If it makes you feel better go ahead. We are all imperfect humans. IMPERFECT. I have done some horrible things to people and hurt ones I love dearly in my life. If I wasn't  able to be forgiven....Im just saying. Don't be so quick to judge. Be quicker to forgive imperfect humans. Some of us need to look in the mirror a bit. Everyone comparing him to someone who rapes little kids is ridiculous. For all we know Jesse has reached out to the victims long ago and tried to make it right. I wouldn't be so quick to assume anything but quicker and more ready to forgive and imperfect human being. Anyway thats my 2 cents. I know I may get hate for this but I don't care. Im not so ready to write off a band because of a costly mistake one member has made

Edited by Saxonjulin

Just now, Saxonjulin said:

First time I chimed in on this topic...Is what Jesse did years ago horrible? Sure. Is what Jesse did unforgivable? Absolutely not in my eyes. We don't know all the details and I think everyone canceling their orders and writing the entire band off is a little ridiculous. If it makes you feel better go ahead. We are all imperfect humans. IMPERFECT. I have done some horrible things to people and hurt ones I love dearly in my life. If I wasn't  able to be forgiven....Im just saying. Don't be so quick to judge. Be quicker to forgive imperfect humans. Some of us need to look in the mirror a bit. Everyone comparing him to someone who rapes little kids is ridiculous. For all we know Jesse has reached out to the victims long ago and tried to make it right. I wouldn't be so quick to assume anything but quicker and more ready to forgive and imperfect human being. Anyway thats my 2 cents. I know I may get hate for this but I don't care. Im not so ready to write off a band because of a costly mistake one member has made

I would've partially agree with you, if we were talking about assaulting adults and etc.

But these girls were underage kids. And aside of conscience/mental problems in this situation most of the world have strict laws that prohibit this kind of attitude.

13 minutes ago, Saxonjulin said:

Is what Jesse did years ago horrible? Sure. 

If you do the math on when the women say it started and ended for them... it wasn't that many years ago. And that's only these two women that we know about.

16 minutes ago, Saxonjulin said:

We don't know all the details and I think everyone canceling their orders and writing the entire band off is a little ridiculous. If it makes you feel better go ahead. 

Which is it? Is it ridiculous, or is it fine if it makes you feel better?

17 minutes ago, Saxonjulin said:

For all we know Jesse has reached out to the victims long ago and tried to make it right. I wouldn't be so quick to assume anything 

What in any of the published accounts or statements makes you think he did? It sounds like you're the one quick to assuming that.

19 minutes ago, Saxonjulin said:

We are all imperfect humans. IMPERFECT. I have done some horrible things to people and hurt ones I love dearly in my life. If I wasn't  able to be forgiven....Im just saying. Don't be so quick to judge. Be quicker to forgive imperfect humans. Some of us need to look in the mirror a bit.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume anything but quicker and more ready to forgive and imperfect human being. 

There's a difference between doing some stupid shit or fucking up a couple of times, and repeatedly abusing your power and status to prey on young women.

33 minutes ago, Saxonjulin said:

Is what Jesse did years ago horrible? Sure. Is what Jesse did unforgivable? Absolutely not in my eyes.

I do agree with this, it'll probably be awhile but I'm sure after a while when it's less shocking and it's all settled in people will be open to forgiving him, but right now it's a pretty fresh wound. It would be nice to know when exactly he stopped being such a creep, it seems like the underage girl thing has only really happened in the YFW and Deja era, hopefully the older he got the more wrong he felt about it, he does seem like a remorseful person. Not a complete monster, but troubled nonetheless 

1 hour ago, Codyoster said:

Inappropriate activity with underage girls is the fabric of rock’n’roll. Elvis Presley, chuck berry, Jerry Lee Lewis 

1 hour ago, Saxonjulin said:

His "imperfections" weren't a momentary slip up. This isn't a DUI or a bar fight. This a predator systematically abusing/using teenage girls for YEARS.

As far as locking this thread goes...

This is a pretty big issue in the music scene we all love and support and it needs to be discussed.

If users here can't do that without shaming one another that's on them as individuals, I don't think that's reason enough stop the conversation altogether.

11 hours ago, dantheriver said:

I successfully canceled mine today, pretty quick reply and refund to my paypal from ArtistFirst. I’m not in the market to turn all my old records into bowls or anything cool like that but I certainly don’t feel like I need multiple variants of this album anymore.

who did you contact? Going to cancel mine as well.

45 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

As far as locking this thread goes...

This is a pretty big issue in the music scene we all love and support and it needs to be discussed.

If users here can't do that without shaming one another that's on them as individuals, I don't think that's reason enough stop the conversation altogether.

I'm pretty confident everything that needed to be said, has been. and all the "sane" people are in agreement while the trolls continue to stoke the fire. If it needs to be discussed further, or the "scene" in general, then lets move it to the "everything" part of the forum because this shit thread would fit nicely next to the trump thread.

On 11/12/2017 at 3:03 PM, Kanye West said:

Yeah I'm 100% sure they were TOTALLY involved with the low-key skype relationship Jesse had with a minor. I'm sure he talked about it all the time to his bandmates, how he jerked off on camera for a 15 year old.

Shut the fuck up man.

Honestly, as someone who isn't very "scene" focused in that I have no insider knowledge and very few friends who even listen to this genre of music, I've heard about things like this for a decade now. It was always "friend of a friend of a friend" type stories, so while I wouldn't have felt comfortable discussing it publicly, there's no way that the band members didn't have some idea that questionable behavior was taking place.  There was a lot of smoke leading up to this fire.

Edited by mbfischer12
Too many double negatives!

1 hour ago, Tidal Wave said:

Inappropriate activity with underage girls is the fabric of rock’n’roll. Elvis Presley, chuck berry, Jerry Lee Lewis 

Doesn't really have anything to do with rock'n'roll in particular. Look at "the honorable" Roy Moore, hardly the epitome of teen rebellion. It's all just generic rape culture bullshit.

For those who are getting refunds / getting rid of all things Brand New; do you own any records by Michael Jackson, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Rolling Stones, Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry? 

Or own/watch movies by Woody Allen or Roman Polanski?

Voted for Clinton or Trump?

In no way saying everything that everyone has done is ok, but wondering where you guys draw the line?

Edited by stl_ben