PO - Brand New - Science Fiction

11 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Orange-black swirl.  One of the nicer variants out there for the album, in my opinion.  Very autumn.

Yeah, it's actually really lovely. 

I've heard some people complain about the sound on the AFS releases but it's always been crystal clear to me. I had a Triple Crown White pressing for a while and just gave it away 

(Also everyone, I only accept payment in big tube amps that do not equal out in your favor whatsoever)

20 minutes ago, famousdrumer said:

for all the people getting rid of there Brand New records, do you all of a sudden hate the band and music? seems a little dramatic dont ya think?

they actually hate all bands and all music and puppies and kittens too.

1 hour ago, famousdrumer said:

for all the people getting rid of there Brand New records, do you all of a sudden hate the band and music? seems a little dramatic dont ya think?

Sometimes people don't want to consume art made by people that gross them out.

I don't judge anyone who can or anyone who can't. It's personal taste, just like enjoying art in general. Except Woody Allen movies, he's gross and his art sucks.

A little perspective on the above comments. 

Just feels weird hearing Sic Transit Gloria without picturing Jesse as the person pressuring the speaker now. 

Also "The Quiet Things that No One Ever Knows Until They Out You On Social Media After Preadatory Actions Agaisnt Underage Keeeeeds"

Just weird is all. 

Like "oh hey this is a cool song yet I picture this dude diddling kids"

EDIT: it's just like that Lost Prophets scandal. "Last Train" is a nostalgic anthem from that era yet is tainted by the fact that a dude planned to rape a toddler. 

Just. Weird. 

Edited by [Banned User]

1 minute ago, [Banned User] said:

Just feels weird hearing Sic Transit Gloria without picturing Jesse as the person pressuring the speaker now. 

Also "The Quiet Things that No One Ever Knows Until They Out You On Social Media After Preadatory Actions Agaisnt Underage Keeeeeds"

Just weird is all. 

ITT: people completely unable to separate art from an artist.

Isn’t Sic Transit Gloria about a woman manipulating the narrator?  And Quiet Things about getting married too early and having regrets?

You really want to take your noggin’ for a joggin’?  Try the beginning of You Won’t Know.  It was there in front of us this whole time and we still let this happen; how could we miss him blatantly nodding to his regretted past on a widely anticipated and acclaimed album?  Damn...

I think the Same Logic/Teeth lyrics are probably the most fucked up if you really want to dissect them from Jesse's POV 

Well this is the same logic that got us into trouble the first time
(When we discovered we could use)
The same logic to get us out of trouble
And shake off all the people we abuse

I don't need to know where you come from
If you don't know where you belong
So how's it feel to walk around, like you're some sort of freak
You're just a monster in a costume

Ashamed of what you used to be

Edited by Codyoster

17 minutes ago, [Banned User] said:

Just weird is all. 

EDIT: it's just like that Lost Prophets scandal. "Last Train" is a nostalgic anthem from that era yet is tainted by the fact that a dude planned to rape a toddler. 

Just. Weird. 

Just saying, none of the girls said Jesse touched them while they were underage, the lostprophets guy did rape a baby, and I'm pretty sure he filmed it and that was the evidence that locked him up. They're both creeps but not nearly on the same level. Thats not even comparable in my eyes

Edited by Codyoster

1 hour ago, Codyoster said:

I think the Same Logic/Teeth lyrics are probably the most fucked up if you really want to dissect them from Jesse's POV 

Well this is the same logic that got us into trouble the first time
(When we discovered we could use)
The same logic to get us out of trouble
And shake off all the people we abuse

I don't need to know where you come from
If you don't know where you belong
So how's it feel to walk around, like you're some sort of freak
You're just a monster in a costume

Ashamed of what you used to be

It was revealed that Vinnie wrote this song 12 years ago at a concert recently. Maybe it's from Vin's POV about Jesse?

3 hours ago, Derek™ said:

ITT: people completely unable to separate art from an artist.

when have Brand New or 2000s emo bands in general ever given us reason to make the distinction between art and artist? pretty much everything these guys and their scene peers have written about is focused on themselves, the sorts of experiences they have had, the struggles and conflicts and desires and dreams they've always had (some were more literary about it than others, perhaps). that's exactly why these sorts of bands became the voice of a generation (to the subculture, at least). they helped people to understand themselves, to see others who shared their hurt or their failures. the focus of these bands on lived experiences allowed fans to see their own stories and journeys given voice and dignified. one of the reasons their frontmen were idolized was because their "honest" – i.e. personal, narrative – approach to songwriting made them sympathetic, brave. the kind of person you'd want to meet, someone you hoped would take interest in your story because you knew with certainty from their songwriting that they would relate to it on one level or another.  

in retrospect, this was a very risky move for these bands. because, if real-life details behind the literary, fictionalized versions of these songwriters' lives were ever to be exposed as shameful, or even criminal as they have been here, the texts we took for granted as anthems for our own self-betterment and recovery take on a more damning character.  we return to the singer/frontman figure, no longer seeing them as leaders but as frauds. 

mind you, this doesn't obligate you, the listener, to draw a 1:1 parallel between allegations and specific lyrics. there are still plausible, perhaps even band-certified interpretations of these songs that don't require a connection to the horrors we've been watching unfold, to the crumbling of Jesse's credibility, etcetera. but the plausibility, the possibility even, of separating art from artist here is extremely compromised by a first-hand testimony of lyrics that were always predicated upon their plausibility and relatability. double-edged sword and all.

Edited by copelandkid

1 minute ago, copelandkid said:

when have Brand New or 2000s emo bands in general ever given us reason to make the distinction between art from artist? pretty much everything these guys and their scene peers have written about is focused on themselves, the sorts of experiences they have had, the struggles and conflicts and desires and dreams they've always had (some were more literary about it than others, perhaps). that's exactly why these sorts of bands became the voice of a generation (to the subculture, at least). they helped people to understand themselves, to see others who shared their hurt or their failures. the focus of these bands on lived experiences allowed fans to see their own stories and journeys given voice and dignified. one of the reasons their frontmen were idolized was because their "honest" – i.e. personal, narrative – approach to songwriting made them sympathetic, brave. the kind of person you'd want to meet, someone you hoped would take interest in your story because you knew with certainty from their songwriting that they would relate to it on one level or another.  

in retrospect, this was a very risky move for these bands. because, if real-life details behind the literary, fictionalized versions of these songwriters' lives were ever to be exposed as shameful, or even criminal as they have been here, the texts we took for granted as anthems for our own self-betterment and recovery take on a more damning character.  we return to the singer/frontman figure, no longer seeing them as leaders but as frauds. 

mind you, this doesn't obligate you, the listener, to draw a 1:1 parallel between allegations and specific lyrics. there are still plausible, perhaps even band-certified interpretations of these songs that don't require a connection to the horrors we've been watching unfold, to the crumbling of Jesse's credibility, etcetera. but the plausibility, the possibility even, of separating art from artist here is extremely compromised by a first-hand testimony of lyrics that were always predicated upon their plausibility and relatability. double-edged sword and all.

Well said, and your points are valid.  But I sort of echo ejc625's post, right above yours.  While it may be true that a lot of "emo" bands dig into personal experiences to determine a cornerstone of their lyrics, the translation of lyrics to real-world experiences can be loosely theorized and applied regardless of era or genre, in my opinion.  And specifically citing the user who's uncomfortable with Sic Transit Gloria (Glory Fades) - now - when the song has been out for 15 years and has always described the story of a sexually experienced woman pushing a man into a sexual scenario... I'm failing to see why we're scoffing at that, today.