PO Now: Julien Baker - Turn Out the Lights

On 8/17/2017 at 11:15 AM, cobannaboc said:

My thoughts exactly. Always a bummer when they release early on the east coast. I'm seeing her on her tour so maybe she'll have a tour variant like here first album 

Missed out on the Brand New earlier this week, snagged the 6131 variant. I guess that works out. (Also, anyone else really like both BN *and* JB? No...?)

I've seen her twice, both pretty small crowds. (First time there weren't even 100 people.) No sign of vinyl either time. Her tour manager actually told me she was grateful they sold out as "records are HEAVY."

San Francisco is near the end unfortunately. I'll be the first to throw my hat in the ring to see if anyone going to one of the earlier stops could try and pick up an extra for me I'd be forever grateful. If end up with one anyways that'll just be one more copy for the boards and I can pay it forward!

8 minutes ago, bonedigger said:

I know they're already sold out anyway so the point is mute, but I've never heard a good sounding splatter pressing, I'd always opt for a black or clear if available.  Take heart anyone who missed out on those 

I'm a big proponent of clear vinyl as well, but if you've never heard a good sounding splatter I assume you haven't heard many splatter pressings.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

1 hour ago, bonedigger said:

I know they're already sold out anyway so the point is mute, but I've never heard a good sounding splatter pressing, I'd always opt for a black or clear if available.  Take heart anyone who missed out on those 

If your point is mute how can we hear it? 

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I'm a big proponent of clear vinyl as well, but if you've never heard a good sounding splatter I assume you haven't heard many splatter pressings.

This is true! I only have 4 that I can think but they all lean on the noisy side which is why I always play it safe.  In any case, I realize after posting that I came across as completely poo-pooing splatters (no pun intended?) but I'm totally open to idea of them just wanted to throw out my two cents/mild consolation to those who missed out on the limited stuff.  Super excited for this new record! 

The sound quality is likely moot as mostly everyone who bought the splatter is probably going to spin it a few times anyhow, and listen to it using other methods like their iPhone, myself included.

I buy vinyl for the collector factor, as I really don't have time to sit and listen to a record front to back.

36 minutes ago, chicomak said:

The sound quality is likely moot as mostly everyone who bought the splatter is probably going to spin it a few times anyhow, and listen to it using other methods like their iPhone, myself included.

I buy vinyl for the collector factor, as I really don't have time to sit and listen to a record front to back.

Yeah, I'd imagine many will just open the shrink wrap for the d/l card and not even play the record itself. 

1 hour ago, chicomak said:

dead

It's not a well kept secret that splatter/haze/swirl and whatnot variants tend to have more playback problems than black or clear/translucent colored variants, but that fact doesn't necessarily render any of the 'clickbait'-variants redundant. I prefer nice playback, others prefer nice looks. It's fine. 

2 hours ago, chicomak said:

Do you also spend thousands of dollars on hi-fi gear and then stream MP3s from your phone to a Bluetooth speaker?

While you wait for the new album, you should check out Stella Donnelly . She is the only other artist I've come across that contains a similar spark as Ms Baker.  Apologies, don't let this derail the thread. Also, no vinyl.  Also, cassettes sold out. Also, I'm a lil drunk. 

https://healthytapes.bandcamp.com/album/thrush-metal

11 hours ago, ryantark said:

While you wait for the new album, you should check out Stella Donnelly . She is the only other artist I've come across that contains a similar spark as Ms Baker.  Apologies, don't let this derail the thread. Also, no vinyl.  Also, cassettes sold out. Also, I'm a lil drunk. 

https://healthytapes.bandcamp.com/album/thrush-metal

Thanks so much! She sounds like a mix of Barnett and Baker. Sounds great!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2017 at 3:31 PM, Snaggle Von Swift said:

That song is terrible.... I will buy a copy of the /200 and /300 variants that you all no longer want for cost.
First one to message me can consider their copies sold.

Okay okay, the song/video are fantastic and this album may possibly get AOTY.

I wasn't sure anything was going to unseat Science Fiction for me but this might do it. 

On 9/18/2017 at 1:19 PM, gazzo said:

JulienBaker_TOTL_Orange_1024x1024.jpg?v=
Pressed on clear orange vinyl (limited to 2000 copies), not available until release date. Preorder of 300 copies exclusively available from 6131 Records!

https://shop.6131records.com/products/julien-baker-turn-out-the-lights-lp

This is so pretty. Hoping I can find it on release day at my local.