PO: Billy Corgan - OGILALA

On 8/23/2017 at 8:00 AM, bluescreenlife said:

To me there's a difference between being eccentric and treating your dedicated fans 

like garbage. At the same meet and greet I described earlier there was a guy that flew across the country for this little half-hour acoustic show at Zuzus, brought his Billy Corgan signature Reverend guitar to have autographed, but all he got was "sorry I don't sign guitars." He'd literally given Billy thousands of dollars already, but it was too much for Billy to write his name in return. It just says something about his character. 

What a prick  :o

I'm digging the new single, and this statement by Corgan:

Having written the songs for voice and guitar, I put myself in Rick’s hands to take the music wherever he’d like. Normally I would have done more, and tinkered more on production, but rather Rick put the onus on me to deliver at a molecular level via live takes. The rest was simply a reaction.

Gives me some hope that this time he hasn't screwed up everything with wrong choices and shitty arrangments like random synths all over the place.

Anyway, the days I blindly trusted him are long gone, so I'll be waiting to hear the full album before buying anything.

2 hours ago, helsabot said:

I'm digging the new single, and this statement by Corgan:

Gives me some hope that this time he hasn't screwed up everything with wrong choices and shitty arrangments like random synths all over the place.

Anyway, the days I blindly trusted him are long gone, so I'll be waiting to hear the full album before buying anything.

Part one:  agreed.

Part two: I think I'll always give him the benefit of the doubt.  Being such a huge musical force in my life for so long has kind of granted him that.  As an artist, I can look at my own work and know I've created a wealth of terrible shit but I'd hope people wouldn't discredit me entirely because of it.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, bluescreenlife said:

Hope nobody here buys that shit. He won't sign them for dedicated fans but can take a stranger's wad of money for it. 

Gonna be tough to make that stick here... 

A place where a number of members prefer to flip their purchases for a wad of stranger's money, over reselling at cost to dedicated fans. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this in my email:

Beginning tomorrow, join WPC (aka Billy Corgan) on Facebook as he performs one song per day LIVE from his teahouse, Madame Zuzu’s. Tune in every day at 4pm CTto catch songs from his new solo album, OGILALA, as well as works spanning from his earliest days through The Smashing Pumpkins and beyond. 

• 3 weeks later...

Got the pink from Bullmoose on Friday. Sounds awesome. Actually really enjoying the album. Billy can still write songs, apparently he just needs to keep it simple and focus on lyrics rather than over producing everything.

VQgw36hl.jpg

Edited by bluescreenlife

Went to see him in Brooklyn last night and it was very good. First set was the new album and then second was a large sampling of stuff from throughout his career. Just him and an acoustic, piano and harmonica. Really cool opportunity to see him in a small setting. 

3 minutes ago, pepperonigin said:

Went to see him in Brooklyn last night and it was very good. First set was the new album and then second was a large sampling of stuff from throughout his career. Just him and an acoustic, piano and harmonica. Really cool opportunity to see him in a small setting. 

I'm actually really looking forward to this next month in LA.  Bought the tix as an impulse buy - but I'm digging the new album and love what I've seen/heard from the tour.  

On 10/15/2017 at 2:37 PM, bluescreenlife said:

Got the pink from Bullmoose on Friday. Sounds awesome. Actually really enjoying the album. Billy can still write songs, apparently he just needs to keep it simple and focus on lyrics rather than over producing everything.

VQgw36hl.jpg

This isn't over produced? 

On 8/22/2017 at 11:29 AM, VinylMario said:

Here's the YouTube

19 minutes ago, docbronze said:

Compare it to Oceania/Monuments with the 10x layered vocal choruses and guitar riffs, lavish synths, stacked yet largely forgettable melodies IMO. I much prefer this singer-songwriter style. But that's just me, one guy whose opinion means nothing :) 

1 hour ago, bluescreenlife said:

Compare it to Oceania/Monuments with the 10x layered vocal choruses and guitar riffs, lavish synths, stacked yet largely forgettable melodies IMO. I much prefer this singer-songwriter style. But that's just me, one guy whose opinion means nothing :) 

Ah, comparatively speaking. I got you.

11 hours ago, docbronze said:

The whole album is really stripped down, not just compared to his previous work... judging from one random song is quite pointless.  Unless you confuse "not over produced" with "lo-fi". Then you are right, it's totally not "lo-fi"

By the way, after several listens I can say this could very well be his finest collection of songs since Machina.

5 hours ago, helsabot said:

The whole album is really stripped down, not just compared to his previous work... judging from one random song is quite pointless.  Unless you confuse "not over produced" with "lo-fi". Then you are right, it's totally not "lo-fi"

By the way, after several listens I can say this could very well be his finest collection of songs since Machina.

You cut to the core of me, helsabot.