PO: OCS - Memory Of A Cut Off Head (November 17)

On 12/18/2017 at 12:17 PM, aopps42 said:

Will prob regret not just buying it, but passing on the $21 single. 

On 12/18/2017 at 1:34 PM, numanoid said:

I'll probably never listen to it, but at least I'll own it I suppose.

They've done some great work on fat singles. Peanut Butter Oven, the Quadrospazzed '09 12", the Total Control split, and Moon Sick are all excellent. 

This album sounds really fantastic, both production wise and the LP itself. Does 45RPM in general lead to less surface noise...? I don't understand how a label as small as Castle Face can put out nearly flawless sounding albums, yet the new Metallica repress I have is full of pops and hiss.

Awesome silkscreen, cool vinyl (pink smoke), and high-quality printed inner sleeves as well. Top-notch release all around.

Edited by swazzyswess

55 minutes ago, swazzyswess said:

Does 45RPM in general lead to less surface noise...? I don't understand how a label as small as Castle Face can put out nearly flawless sounding albums, yet the new Metallica repress I have is full of pops and hiss.

No, 45rpm guarantees more detail grooves; literally more fidelity because more info is recorded into the PVC. Surface noise has a lot to do with the quality of the PVC and the pressing process. I'd bet my left nut those Metallica albums got pressed at GZ or Pirates Press, where quantity > quality, always.

13 minutes ago, armadillo01 said:

No, 45rpm guarantees more detail grooves; literally more fidelity because more info is recorded into the PVC. Surface noise has a lot to do with the quality of the PVC and the pressing process. I'd bet my left nut those Metallica albums got pressed at GZ or Pirates Press, where quantity > quality, always.

a lot of labels don't really listen to their test pressings, it's not so much the plants fault that it is the customer's approval or denial of the test pressings/reference cuts.  you would be surprised how many labels either don't listen to the TP or throw it on a crosley/LP60 to make sure it plays something then immediately take it off.  it's pretty mind-blowing

31 minutes ago, ethereal said:

a lot of labels don't really listen to their test pressings, it's not so much the plants fault that it is the customer's approval or denial of the test pressings/reference cuts.  you would be surprised how many labels either don't listen to the TP or throw it on a crosley/LP60 to make sure it plays something then immediately take it off.  it's pretty mind-blowing

Interesting...  I don't understand the technical part of record pressing at all, but why would a pop or click, for example, on a test pressing get transferred to the rest? Like there's an actual physical imperfection in the test press that gets replicated on every other record, without fail?

I guess that would explain why sometimes people will say they have a skip/bad popping in the exact same spot of a record as another person. I always thought it had something to do with the dynamics of the record that caused noise in a similar spot on a given pressing (because I'm an idiot).

20 minutes ago, swazzyswess said:

Interesting...  I don't understand the technical part of record pressing at all, but why would a pop or click, for example, on a test pressing get transferred to the rest? Like there's an actual physical imperfection in the test press that gets replicated on every other record, without fail?

I guess that would explain why sometimes people will say they have a skip/bad popping in the exact same spot of a record as another person. I always thought it had something to do with the dynamics of the record that caused noise in a similar spot on a given pressing (because I'm an idiot).

the idea is that the test pressing is your reference for the master/mother so the TP is basically the first take to vinyl as the “sample” so if the test pressing has noise in certain areas, and you don’t address it with the plant, chances are every copy will sound like that since the TP was the reference sample for the entire batch.

edit: this goes for any imperfections in SQ, not just surface noise. if you’re not happy with how your test pressing sounds, you reject it.

Edited by ethereal

5 hours ago, kjkenney said:

Really want a Death of Cool Island Raiders repress. I know it was Narnack but its the only hole in the collection and prices have gone nuts on second hand market  :/

New album is top of the year for me though, wow.

Same here, holding out and hoping for a reissue, as well as OCS 1-4. Maybe Narnack doesn't want to give Castle Face the licensing to reissue the album? I've read interviews with John Dwyer where he mentions some or other label they were on that was awful and won't allow them to do anything with the release(s) nowadays.

3 hours ago, armadillo01 said:

You do know Pirates Press doesn't actually press anything, right?

• 2 months later...

Holy shit yes. The artwork is awesome.

OCS - LIVE IN SAN FRANCISCO (via Rock Is Hell)

One more titillating bit of good news is that the shows OCS did up in San Francisco recently were recorded for posterity, and our lovely Austrian pals at Rock Is Hell are doing quite the release of it in two editions - preorder is just around the corner so get those bookmarks handy and set an alarm, these should fly out the door 

handmade & silkscreened boxset 
each record is housed in a silkscreened slip-in cover 
each blank side of the records does have a screenprint 
artwork by elzo durt 
limited to 100 copies

silkscreened gatefold cover 
artwork by elzo durt 
limited to 500 copies
You can preorder April 1st, 6 PM (MEZ)

1.jpg?auto=format&fit=max&h=300&w=300shop.jpg?auto=format&fit=max&h=300&w=300

• 2 weeks later...