Favourite High-Quality Re-Releases?

Othon L

I am listening to the 2016 re-release of Pink Floyd's, vinyl edition of Dark Side of the Moon. Even though I am almost certain the production source is digital, my opinion is that they did a fantastic job (no noise in the background as in the original album). I am tired of buying what on the cover seems a beautiful, brand new re-release, just to find out that the quality of the recording is "crappy". I have spent hours and hours on the Internet looking for "the right stuff" and yes I have found great products, such as MOFI, Speakers Corners Records and ORG Music. For the same token, I have this question: if the time to decide between buying an original vinyl (let's says a sealed one, from the 70s) and buying an audiophile quality re-release of the same record, which way should I go?

Edited by Othon L
Clarity

I don't spend a whole lot of money on records, but I've found that original releases that aren't scratched and are reasonable quality vinyl(not full of impurities from recycling) usually sound pretty good.  Rereleases on vinyl of records that were originally on shellac and aren't in bad simulated stereo are usually good(even though those releases were from the '60's-80's),  

2 hours ago, justincb said:

Rereleases on vinyl of records that were originally on shellac and aren't in bad simulated stereo are usually good(even though those releases were from the '60's-80's),  

Thank you, Justincb, I agree, however, I am trying to build me a new collection of vinyl, so, I have to rely on re-releases... I do not like to buy used records. Forgive my ignorance, but what is "simulated stereo", please?

Not sure why but I'm going to actually make an on topic post.

I don't typically buy reissues and stuff (usually overpriced and I couldn't give less of a fuck about garbage like DSOTM) but The Cramps reissues on Drastic Plastic (I think) sound amazing.  It's actually weird hearing those songs not covered in layers of mud.

11 hours ago, Othon L said:

Thank you, Justincb, I agree, however, I am trying to build me a new collection of vinyl, so, I have to rely on re-releases... I do not like to buy used records. Forgive my ignorance, but what is "simulated stereo", please?

Simulated stereo is when they take a mono recording and split the signal into 2 channels and do some bullshit to make it sound "stereo." It sounds like garbage but it was popular in the 60s 

17 hours ago, Othon L said:

Okay I'll bite, what do you have against preowned albums?

Haha! Nothing much... it's just that I prefer invoiced new things (you can always go back with your invoice, like I did today with Bowie's Blackstar album (it was warped)). I like the experience of opening that plastic cover and smelling the new vinyl. That's all. Thanks for asking. Do you have an album recommendation for me?

Edited by Othon L
Wrong album name, corrected.

1 hour ago, Othon L said:

Haha! Nothing much... it's just that I prefer invoiced new things (you can always go back with your invoice, like I did today with Bowie's Dark Star album (it was warped)). I like the experience of opening that plastic cover and smelling the new vinyl. That's all. Thanks for asking. Do you have an album recommendation for me?

I buy originals whenever I can justify the price, especially records from the '70's and earlier. I have no problem buying used though. If I'm buying from a store I listen to it before I leave. If I'm buying on discogs, if it isn't as described I return it for a refund.

I've been happy with most reissue I've picked up as well, but more often than not I'd just rather not risk getting some digitally sourced garbage. Just do your research for each album, quality is going to differ.

15 hours ago, ethanpricington said:

Anything by Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs - especially the MOFI version of Weezer's - Pinkerton (1997). That album sounds so raw and crisp on that press. 

This is probably my favourite sounding record out of my whole collection in all honesty, it absolutely rips.

The SRC reissue of Rival Schools - United By Fate is another one for me that sounds absolutely amazing, I can't compare it to other pressings but it has a lot of punch to it. 

I don't spend a whole lot on records, and usually buy from a thrift store.  I try to avoid records that are badly scratched(scratches between grooves, and very light scratches are OK for me, though) or worn out(the grooves start to look grey when it starts to wear out).  Poor quality vinyl doesn't matter at all if it's in mint condition, sealed, or been played several hundered times; it still sounds bad.  I try to avoid simulated stereo, although, most of the time, it just sounds like mono that has been slightly panned to one side or the other at a few frequencies, but once in a blue moon, one will be very bad or good.  On a small label devoted to a particular purpose, simulated stereo isn't as bad as it can be, and is sometimes good.  On the major labels, simulated stereo is often bad, and sometimes truly terrible.

On 9/6/2017 at 2:35 PM, Othon L said:

Haha! Nothing much... it's just that I prefer invoiced new things (you can always go back with your invoice, like I did today with Bowie's Blackstar album (it was warped)). I like the experience of opening that plastic cover and smelling the new vinyl. That's all. Thanks for asking. Do you have an album recommendation for me?

I guess you mentioned you don't have a record store nearby in another post, so that makes a bit more sense.  Personally, I don't really care for buying used online either.  I've gotten screwed on eBay and Discogs a couple of times and so unless it's something really specific that I absolutely need right this second (gifts or I'll probably forget I want this album in a couple days), I just browse record stores hoping to get lucky and occasaionally buy from the users in the forums I feel like I can trust. 

It can get tedious this way, I've been looking for Mudhoney - 5 Dollar Bob's Mock Cooter Stew in the wild going on like 6 years now.  But when it does finally happen, it'll be pretty satisfying.

If you're only going new you're severely limiting yourself though.  If you're looking for real high quality pressings I could suggest like the Original Master Tapes pressing of Grateful Dead - American Beauty.  But I'd be surprised if that wasn't OOP.  And a quick look at Discogs shows the only mint sealed copy going for $125.

14 hours ago, nancy_raygun said:

I've gotten screwed on eBay and Discogs a couple of times and so unless it's something really specific that I absolutely need right this second (gifts or I'll probably forget I want this album in a couple days), I just browse record stores hoping to get lucky and occasaionally buy from the users in the forums I feel like I can trust. 

Fortunately, that hasn't happened to me (yet)... would you have any recommendations of forums that you trust, please?

14 hours ago, nancy_raygun said:

If you're only going new you're severely limiting yourself though.  If you're looking for real high quality pressings I could suggest like the Original Master Tapes pressing of Grateful Dead - American Beauty.  But I'd be surprised if that wasn't OOP.  And a quick look at Discogs shows the only mint sealed copy going for $125.

Thank you very much for the suggestion! I'll take a look...