Favourite High-Quality Re-Releases?

Othon L

17 hours ago, justincb said:

I don't spend a whole lot on records, and usually buy from a thrift store.  I try to avoid records that are badly scratched(scratches between grooves, and very light scratches are OK for me, though) or worn out(the grooves start to look grey when it starts to wear out).  Poor quality vinyl doesn't matter at all if it's in mint condition, sealed, or been played several hundered times; it still sounds bad.  I try to avoid simulated stereo, although, most of the time, it just sounds like mono that has been slightly panned to one side or the other at a few frequencies, but once in a blue moon, one will be very bad or good.  On a small label devoted to a particular purpose, simulated stereo isn't as bad as it can be, and is sometimes good.  On the major labels, simulated stereo is often bad, and sometimes truly terrible.

I see! Thank you, Justincb...

On 2017-09-06 at 4:24 PM, ethanpricington said:

Anything by Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs - especially the MOFI version of Weezer's - Pinkerton (1997). That album sounds so raw and crisp on that press. 

On 2017-09-07 at 7:42 AM, Mattallurgist said:

This is probably my favourite sounding record out of my whole collection in all honesty, it absolutely rips.

The SRC reissue of Rival Schools - United By Fate is another one for me that sounds absolutely amazing, I can't compare it to other pressings but it has a lot of punch to it. 

I just received my two records from MOFI, the B52's and Billy Joel's Piano Man, they sound fantastic. I am loving this brand. 

On 09/03/2017 at 6:26 PM, Othon L said:

I am listening to the 2016 re-release of Pink Floyd's, vinyl edition of Dark Side of the Moon. Even though I am almost certain the production source is digital, my opinion is that they did a fantastic job (no noise in the background as in the original album). I am tired of buying what on the cover seems a beautiful, brand new re-release, just to find out that the quality of the recording is "crappy". I have spent hours and hours on the Internet looking for "the right stuff" and yes I have found great products, such as MOFI, Speakers Corners Records and ORG Music. For the same token, I have this question: if the time to decide between buying an original vinyl (let's says a sealed one, from the 70s) and buying an audiophile quality re-release of the same record, which way should I go?

If you are truly interested in finding and learning about pressings and differences of new used and or represses, you ought to go to this website called Better Records,  and read what these guys have to say about records they call "Hot Stampers". These are records that are priced according to sound quality. Some of these records go for hundreds of dollars. But besides the price they have an interesting theory on how stamping affects records' quality.

1 hour ago, VinylMario said:

If you are truly interested in finding and learning about pressings and differences of new used and or represses, you ought to go to this website called Better Records,  and read what these guys have to say about records they call "Hot Stampers". These are records that are priced according to sound quality. Some of these records go for hundreds of dollars. But besides the price they have an interesting theory on how stamping affects records' quality.

Thank you, VinylMario... This sounds very interesting. I'm going to take a look... and learn :-)

You might find some good recommendations sifting through the query in the link below:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/search/43485701/?q=Best+reissues&o=relevance&c[title_only]=1

People over there are often concerned with pressing quality and A-Bs of reissues vs. originals. There's also a lot of smartassing and butthurt going on, but that's the internet.

2 hours ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

You might find some good recommendations sifting through the query in the link below:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/search/43485701/?q=Best+reissues&o=relevance&c[title_only]=1

People over there are often concerned with pressing quality and A-Bs of reissues vs. originals. There's also a lot of smartassing and butthurt going on, but that's the internet.

Thank you very much, Eliminator Jr. That's very kind of you. I will definitely check that out. About the internet, not everyone is like that, fortunately, like you. In this case, my main concern is learning about vinyl (even though I am not young at all, I am once more new in this)... Thank you again.