DeadFormat is shutting down

Hey guys, I hadn't seen anyone talking about this on the forum.  I got an email from DeadFormat admin saying they're going to be shutting down the site.

I know the forums have been pretty dead there the last couple of years, but it has been a great site for cataloging inventory.  Those of you have been keeping your inventory on DF, where are you going to go?

Personally, I find Discogs too tedious and Google Docs a bit dull, so I don't know where I'll go.

42 minutes ago, nancy_raygun said:

Hey guys, I hadn't seen anyone talking about this on the forum.  I got an email from DeadFormat admin saying they're going to be shutting down the site.

I know the forums have been pretty dead there the last couple of years, but it has been a great site for cataloging inventory.  Those of you have been keeping your inventory on DF, where are you going to go?

Personally, I find Discogs too tedious and Google Docs a bit dull, so I don't know where I'll go.

I have been in the process of moving things over to Discogs because in reality, it's a lot more pragmatic to use but I'm pretty bummed. When I was getting started, Deadformat was really good to me in every regard 

As far as the database at Dead Format goes, it might as well not exist. You haven't been able to submit to it for some time now. The marketplace is horrible too; you can't even sell on it. Their store is a joke too. I ordered a DF slip mat once and after two months I just randomly got a refund, never shipped out. BUT I will admit that it was nice for cataloging what you have. You can download a spreadsheet of what you have though, so that's nice. You can easily move it somewhere else now. I've disliked this site for a while, but it's still kind of sad to see it go.

I've only been using DeadFormat for a little over a year, but I liked it a lot. Honestly, it had a lot of potential but it didn't seem it was going anywhere. It was my favorite site for keeping track of my collection though. I do use Discogs to buy and sell, but I don't really like it for keeping track of what I have. For now, I'm just working on putting everything into a spreadsheet.

I keep a Google list online for my collection, with a nifty column that would summarize all the information about one record in just one cell the way I like it. To update DF I simply copied over that one cell (or rows of cells if there was more than one update), done. The information can go whereever. It's resally part of the ritual when a new record comes in: find the release in Discogs and add it to the collection, copy relevant information over to Google docs, then use this to update DF.  And never look at the stats I dynamically derive from the Google doc of how much I spent on records any given year...

Pretty bummed about DF going away though. Discovered lots of bands due to discussions or recommendations from there.

On 9/12/2017 at 8:00 AM, danny said:

If any software people are interested in making a VC collection system PM me. We tried back in the day but we never found the right people to help with it. Sad as i too agree discogs sucks for the collection aspect. The market place is sweet though.

The marketplace is the only really good thing about Discogs. A new collection system from VC would be awesome. I'm not a programming/software kind of guy but I hope you'll find someone that can help you out. It'll be difficult to find anything near as nice and simple as deadformat.