Hurricane Irma vs. VC

jhulud

Looking like it’ll be a Cat 2/3 when it hits me since it’s going straight up the bottom of FL.

I’m kinda inland from the coast so I should be fine. I’ve been through enough of these. Went ahead and put my records in bags/covered them and put them high up.

Make sure you guys take videos/photos of everything for insurance/FEMA. And keep your discogs or dead format updated.

2 hours ago, marc32137 said:

Yeah, looking like it'll be a cat 2 by the time it reaches where I and @emokid9963 are. And if it goes west enough, we might be able to avoid the stronger winds and only have to deal with trop storm conditions.

Fingers are crossed it stays like this and maybe even shifts more...  this does kinda stick for all the people evacuating to western Georgia or Alabama...

13 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Been surviving these things for a while but this isn't looking good. There's a real fucking chance we're gonna get fucked up...  I'm staying with my records though. This is my official request to be buried with them if I die.

I've been debating going to a shelter but my building is concrete and time tested with new hurricane shutters so here's hoping.

can you send me that twiabp before you die? (for real though, be safe man!)

^^ I'd normally agree with you on that sentiment...but I will say that in my millions years being a VCer and having made some great friendships that have crossed into real life...I'm confident that if I were gone for some reason...my silly ass would be missed & lamented.

9 minutes ago, jhulud said:

^^ I'd normally agree with you on that sentiment...but I will say that in my millions years being a VCer and having made some great friendships that have crossed into real life...I'm confident that if I were gone for some reason...my silly ass would be missed & lamented.

I think many of us would notice the lack of Bangin Banjo posts on IG first.

Do yo any of you guys have to abandon your homes'? And if so what are you doing to protect your vinyl and stereo possessions? Just curious. I don't think I'll ever have to deal with anything like this before here in the desert. I just couldn't fathom losing my ten plus years worth of collection.

Of course my life is worth more than my vinyl, right?

Kidding aside, leave if you have to. Don't stay if they tell you to leave for God's sake.

Stay safe everyone!

Edited by VinylMario
edit

1 hour ago, VinylMario said:

Do yo any of you guys have to abandon your homes'? And if so what are you doing to protect your vinyl and stereo possessions? Just curious. I don't think I'll ever have to deal with anything like this before here in the desert. I just couldn't fathom losing my ten plus years worth of collection.

The majority of Florida is under a mandatory evacuation or a voluntary evacuation. South Florida is under a mandatory. Depends on your zoning. A lot of people stay.

There isn't much you can do. Either take some/all of it with you and leave, document and file a claim with insurance after its destroyed, or encase it in waterproof material and put it high up hoping for the best. Sand bags and boarding up only do so much.

This thing just turned back into a Category 5. I don't think much will be able to be saved for those that are getting hit while it's at this level. Even if your collection survives the hurricane and storm surge, it'll end up dropping a bunch of tornadoes everywhere.

Edited by Kanellos

I'm in Fort Lauderdale on the west side of NE Federal right across the street from the border of the evacuation zone lol. I decided to ride it out because I'm in a concrete fortress of a building that's above cat 5 surge elevation, and to make sure my records are okay. Earlier I lost power for about 15 minutes, FPL had it right back though and I haven't seen a flicker since. Luckily it looks like we're gonna miss the really bad stuff.

YES!!!! Another jaded Floridian in our midst!!!

The only issues I am encountering here so far is Xfinity/Comcast has shit the bed and lost my Wifi but now it's stuck on one channel...WPTV channel 432...and can't change it to anything else w/o getting some connection error message. So for the past 8 hours or so it's been nothing but watching the hurricane coverage. We've been having problems w/ Xfinity anyways for weeks now so it's further than storm-related.

Still have power.

I'm hoping that when shit does come down tomorrow as it's expected to in our area that we'll be able to get through it all OK. We're expecting 60-70mph wind gusts and likely plenty of rain.

Looking much better for my part of the state, but it still has the possibility of being worse than Matthew was last year. And I'm really scared for my company's CFO, who's hunkered down with her family in Cape Coral. They're expecting storm surge of 6-9' there. 

Oh any my county's banning alcohol sales effective 7AM tomorrow. No one is happy about that. 

Edited by marc32137

Anxiously waiting for Irma in Tampa. They are predicting 65-95 mile winds, with 100-110 gusts. Really hoping it gets downgraded to a 2 by the time it gets here. Wishful thinking.  Got my records covered or moved into my closet best i could because i am a bit nervous that our old windows could get blown out/broken by debris.