Mastodon: Rank your records

Just read this article where Brann Dailor ranks Mastodon's albums, its actually a really good read and provides some insight into what various members were going through at the time. So as some one who used to be huge on this band, and is still a fan I thought it might be fun to post my rankings and see what other think as well.

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/j5gn9k/rank-your-records-mastodon-brann-dailor

if you can't be bothered reading Brann Says:

1. Crack the Skye

2. Leviathan

3. Blood Mountain

4. Emperor of Sand

5. Once More Around the Sun

6. Remission

7. The Hunter

My Ranking:

1. Leviathan

2. Remission

3. Blood Mountain

4. Crack the Skye 

5. Emperor of Sand

6. The Hunter

7. Once More Around the Sun (probably unfair as it is their only album I haven't listened through)

Edited by 2notepockets

10 hours ago, 2notepockets said:

Just read this article where Brann Dailor ranks Mastodon's albums, its actually a really good read and provides some insight into what various members were going through at the time. So as some one who used to be huge on this band, and is still a fan I thought it might be fun to post my rankings and see what other think as well.

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/j5gn9k/rank-your-records-mastodon-brann-dailor

if you can't be bothered reading Brann Says:

1. Crack the Skye

2. Leviathan

3. Blood Mountain

4. Emperor of Sand

5. Once More Around the Sun

6. Remission

7. The Hunter

My Ranking:

1. Leviathan

2. Remission

3. Blood Mountain

4. Crack the Skye 

5. Emperor of Sand

6. The Hunter

7. Once More Around the Sun (probably unfair as it is their only album I haven't listened through)

I'm right there with you, but I'd swap Blood Mountain and Crack the Skye. Leviathan is a masterpiece though, and one of the greatest metal records of the last decade.

9 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

I pretty much agree with your ranking. I would just leave Emperor of Sand off the list and pretend it didn't happen. I've listened to it twice and really did not like it, to the point I had to turn it off halfway through the second listen.

Really? I don't mind it. There are one or two terrible songs, but overall I like it better than the last two albums

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:05 AM, lexicondevil said:

I pretty much agree with your ranking. I would just leave Emperor of Sand off the list and pretend it didn't happen. I've listened to it twice and really did not like it, to the point I had to turn it off halfway through the second listen.

Oh man, I reluctantly gave it a listen after not having paid any attention to Once More Around the Sun and I really like it. Nowhere near the top 4 but a solid enjoyable listen.

I didn't mind The Hunter its pretty hit and miss but has some moments of absolute genius ( I know a lot of people hate on it) and I think Emperor... is comfortably better.

That article really made me appreciate each album a little bit more, I never knew a lot of the things that were happening to the band and it's interesting to see what effects those had on each album. My ranking:

Blood Mountain

Leviathan

Crack The Skye

The Hunter

Remission

Once More Around The Sun

Emperor of Sand

• 1 month later...