PO: My Bloody Valentine - Loveless and Isn't Anything

8 minutes ago, Iggy_Pilot said:

One set of lacquers can be used to create metal parts for pressing up to 100,000 copies, probably less. After that a new set of lacquers is required which gets plated. Cutting new sets of AAA lacquers using the tape which was  created for this purpose is a lot more complex than cutting from digital files.

I understand that. I highly doubt they are even pressing 100,000 of the AAA or the high res digital anyway though. I could be wrong but even if they are pushing past those quantities, I still don't see why you couldn't simply do a new lacquer cut from the tape as obviously someone already did it the first time. I know its hard work but its not impossible work. If there is no rights issue then the fact that its a more delicate process and thereby more difficult doesn't seem like a good enough excuse to not keep the whole pressing in AAA but that's just me and I'm kind of nuts about that  stuff.

If Domino is planning to keep these records in print a quality digital cut is actually the most logical, feasible way to go. Talking about AAA is a niche within a niche and it’s probable many fans of the music don’t really care, but are willing to drop a cool 20 bucks on a revered album they love. It’s way easier to produce and repress and also a lot more cost efficient. 

I also go nuts about the AAA stuff and am one happy camper that I got an early order for the deluxe via their UK store in, but absolutely see why a digitally-cut run for the retail market makes sense. 

10 minutes ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

If Domino is planning to keep these records in print a quality digital cut is actually the most logical, feasible way to go. Talking about AAA is a niche within a niche and it’s probable many fans of the music don’t really care, but are willing to drop a cool 20 bucks on a revered album they love. It’s way easier to produce and repress and also a lot more cost efficient. 

I also go nuts about the AAA stuff and am one happy camper that I got an early order for the deluxe via their UK store in, but absolutely see why a digitally-cut run for the retail market makes sense. 

I hear you but its getting more and more rare for albums to have been recorded in analog anyway and a vinyl record really is the best logical progression of a final product for music that was recorded in the analog domain. Its just a shame to mix in a ton of non-analog sourced vinyl records with a pressing that is all analog. It shouldn't be even considered as "niche within niche." It should just be the logical course of action to keep an all analog recording in the analog domain by skipping digital conversion for vinyl production regardless of how much easier it makes reproduction. If you make a digital transfer as a safety I get that. In case anything happens to permanently damage the original tapes you have something to work with but that, in my opinion, should be a last resort. I would argue it doesn't make it that much less complicated if you're already going through all the steps to manufacture vinyl in the first place. That's why there are audio engineering  professionals and those who know how to cut a stereo master tape to lacquer.

that bullmoose tweet just adds to confusion. first off, they're not labeled "limited editions" anywhere. they're labled "deluxe". Also, only m b v is being distributed in the US, so perhaps they're basing their information solely on that release? It's very likely that the deluxe versions have higher pressing numbers initially if they won't remain in print. 

Also, if it wasn't clear, the original release of m b v in 2013 and the 2018 IA and Loveless vinyl reissues were all supposedly analog masters. Some of the announcement text implies that these deluxe reissues are basically reissues of those versions. 

1 hour ago, mcpherson123 said:

I hear you but its getting more and more rare for albums to have been recorded in analog anyway and a vinyl record really is the best logical progression of a final product for music that was recorded in the analog domain. Its just a shame to mix in a ton of non-analog sourced vinyl records with a pressing that is all analog. It shouldn't be even considered as "niche within niche." It should just be the logical course of action to keep an all analog recording in the analog domain by skipping digital conversion for vinyl production regardless of how much easier it makes reproduction. If you make a digital transfer as a safety I get that. In case anything happens to permanently damage the original tapes you have something to work with but that, in my opinion, should be a last resort. I would argue it doesn't make it that much less complicated if you're already going through all the steps to manufacture vinyl in the first place. That's why there are audio engineering  professionals and those who know how to cut a stereo master tape to lacquer.

I think this is a very idealistic but also naive and simple view of things. Going full analog is not simple. Maybe you should (re)read articles and interviews Shields gave on the process when they released it in 2018 initially.

Please remember Loveless did not even exist in it's completeness on analogue tape before. A tape had to be created for the 2018 reissues. That is a safety copy of course. Not the original master tape was used for it because of all the splicing. 

Labels will not do the complicated out of house cutting every time to keep titles in production. It is basically the reason why first pressings are of higher value than reissues. It's always been like that.

Anyway, I own the 2018 AAA as well as an OG 1991 pressing. I like the OG better. That's why I am curious what the new digital one will sound like because the OG one was not AAA of course.

I'm having a hard time justifying ordering all three standards shipped from Europe for about $100 shipped. I already own the Plain Records pressing of Loveless. Someone convince me I'm making the right choice. MBV is / has been one of my favorite bands for the last 10 or so years

Edited by prowl20

8 minutes ago, prowl20 said:

Also, to tack onto my post, what is the difference in the standard and deluxe besides the tip-on gatefold vs standard sleeve? They're both the newer Kevin Shields masters, right?

I think thicker sleeves and a download card? This is what my order said for the deluxe:

• fully analog cut
  • deluxe gatefold tip-on and board-mounted sleeve
  • black heavyweight lp
  • download card (24-bit, 16-bit, mp3)

Just now, januarytwenty said:

I think thicker sleeves and a download card? This is what my order said for the deluxe:

• fully analog cut
  • deluxe gatefold tip-on and board-mounted sleeve
  • black heavyweight lp
  • download card (24-bit, 16-bit, mp3)

Sonically they should be identical other than 180g vs 140g though right? Just trying to figure out if one is an analog master vs a non-analog master

Ordered a Loveless Deluxe from Juno on lunch break in addition to the standard from the m b v store this morning, the link has been up for hours and I'm afraid they will oversell but crossing my fingers they will come through. If so I'll get to A to B the analog and digital cuts and the nerd in me is really stoked for that experience. Loveless is one of my favorite albums and I traded my plain  black copy for a couple original Stereolab records like 8 years ago and stupidly balked on the 2018 reissues waiting for US distribution that never happened. Part of me wanted to drag my feet since I work in record stores and hate paying full boat for a record I can just bring into the store, it's starting to look that it was smart to have just gone for it.

Just now, prowl20 said:

Sonically they should be identical other than 180g vs 140g though right? Just trying to figure out if one is an analog master vs a non-analog master

only the deluxe are analog, the standard will be a hi rez digital cut which I'll bet will still sound great, Plenty of people prefer the original digital to the 2018 analog cuts. I can't say myself I've only ever heard the plain. 

2 minutes ago, NapalmBrain said:

Ordered a Loveless Deluxe from Juno on lunch break in addition to the standard from the m b v store this morning, the link has been up for hours and I'm afraid they will oversell but crossing my fingers they will come through. If so I'll get to A to B the analog and digital cuts and the nerd in me is really stoked for that experience. Loveless is one of my favorite albums and I traded my plain  black copy for a couple original Stereolab records like 8 years ago and stupidly balked on the 2018 reissues waiting for US distribution that never happened. Part of me wanted to drag my feet since I work in record stores and hate paying full boat for a record I can just bring into the store, it's starting to look that it was smart to have just gone for it.

Edit: gotcha! Thanks!

Edited by prowl20

1 minute ago, NapalmBrain said:

only the deluxe are analog, the standard will be a hi rez digital cut which I'll bet will still sound great, Plenty of people prefer the original digital to the 2018 analog cuts. I can't say myself I've only ever heard the plain. 

Yeah, I'm listening to my Plain pressing for the first time in what feels like a good 8 years and it definitely seems a little "flat" but it's not super noticeable. Maybe I'll spend the extra $10 and get all three deluxes. My curiosity is piqued for sure. I love that remastering that Kevin did a few years ago

Just now, prowl20 said:

Yeah, I'm listening to my Plain pressing for the first time in what feels like a good 8 years and it definitely seems a little "flat" but it's not super noticeable. Maybe I'll spend the extra $10 and get all three deluxes. My curiosity is piqued for sure. I love that remastering that Kevin did a few years ago

Just pull trigger and get the deluxe. You’ll end up with serious FOMO if you don’t. 

4 minutes ago, prowl20 said:

I'd go for it unless you have m b v already, I think the packaging and art prints are the only carrot on a stick for this one. The original 2013 cut was All analog already and sounds fantastic, decided to spin it tonight in honor of the release drop and to break in my new stylus. It sounds as wonderful as I remember it. Still a little peeved I paid like $50-60 shipped when it was announced and then it was in record stores for under $40 a week after I got it, but I think I've got my money's worth plus I remember getting like 6 DL codes and giving all my friends FLAC versions.

2 minutes ago, NapalmBrain said:

I'd go for it unless you have m b v already, I think the packaging and art prints are the only carrot on a stick for this one. The original 2013 cut was All analog already and sounds fantastic, decided to spin it tonight in honor of the release drop and to break in my new stylus. It sounds as wonderful as I remember it. Still a little peeved I paid like $50-60 shipped when it was announced and then it was in record stores for under $40 a week after I got it, but I think I've got my money's worth plus I remember getting like 6 DL codes and giving all my friends FLAC versions.

I had it once upon a time. Bought a copy when I saw them in Boston in... 2012? 2013? I ended up selling it when I fell on hard times. Now was a good excuse to just grab all three. 

1 minute ago, prowl20 said:

I had it once upon a time. Bought a copy when I saw them in Boston in... 2012? 2013? I ended up selling it when I fell on hard times. Now was a good excuse to just grab all three. 

Understandable, I can't believe how many rare records I've let go over the years that command stupid prices now. Some of these I can only hope to own reissues ever again logistically unless I can catch lightning in a bottle twice. 

5 minutes ago, NapalmBrain said:

Understandable, I can't believe how many rare records I've let go over the years that command stupid prices now. Some of these I can only hope to own reissues ever again logistically unless I can catch lightning in a bottle twice. 

Yeah, I remember buying that Plain Records pressing new at Newbury Comics for maybe $25 when it was first released. Even things that I purged alongside that copy of MBV that have inflated significantly since selling them. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess