PO: My Bloody Valentine - Loveless and Isn't Anything

11 minutes ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

I’m debating whether to pick up the new mbv.  I have the original but...

well if you do I think this is the only title that is not FOMO, record stores across the country will have it so go support your local. If your local sucks and doesn't carry this kind of music you can always support my store, I am the buyer and I can personally guarantee this is the deluxe edition, it's the only version I ordered.  https://vinylren.com/my-bloody-valentine-m-b-v-limited-vinyl-lp/

4 minutes ago, NapalmBrain said:

well if you do I think this is the only title that is not FOMO, record stores across the country will have it so go support your local. If your local sucks and doesn't carry this kind of music you can always support my store, I am the buyer and I can personally guarantee this is the deluxe edition, it's the only version I ordered.  https://vinylren.com/my-bloody-valentine-m-b-v-limited-vinyl-lp/

Ngl, that's pretty smooth. Rob Thomas would be jealous.

I haven't received an email yet, but my order from Juno now shows "preorder cancelled" in my Juno account. And  I know I got my order in pretty quick.

Norman records in the UK has said that they expect to have more of these in 3-4 months. Hopefully that is true and MBV keeps it all in print.

Edited by fish

Oh Christ. 😡 Juno cancelled mine too... And I had already cancelled my order from the band's site with the standard loveless and made another order for just mbv deluxe. That's tremendous. Just ordered from some random UK site for the standard since even that one has disappeared virtually everywhere now. Fucking hell. 

Edited by phantasmatt

55 minutes ago, Sanspants said:

I don't know if the regular Loveless is OOS everywhere too but recordstore UK has it up for preorder still. I got the deluxe from them early yesterday morning. 

https://www.recordstore.co.uk/recordstore/recordstore/loveless-180gm-Gatefold-Vinyl-LP/6XJK0000000

Good luck with that. Recordstore UK ship in flimsy mailers. Out of the six records I have ordered from them, two came with bent cover corners and two never showed up at all. That was probably because they were so damaged that USPS just destroyed them.

German store HHV is still carrying the Loveless deluxe: https://www.hhv.de/shop/de/artikel/my-bloody-valentine-loveless-deluxe-edition-818399?p=iBd4gR

Saying this because shipping cost might actually be feasible for some of you US folks who have missed out.

I ordered mine from Flight13 (another German store) yesterday but it has sold out since then. Regular copies seem to be readily available.

Also, to add to the cardboard discussion: UK cardboard is shit. HHV (and practically 95% of German stores I have ordered from) package their stuff like a tank so you needn't worry.

Edited by poweredbytrust

53 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

European cardboard is absolute shit. Sorry to get so real. 

32 minutes ago, jhulud said:

That's some truth. It's almost as if they soak the cardboard first, dry it, and then package your records so you get a flimsy and thinned-out mailer. 

Seriously!

It used to be they'd use inferior mailers (like those plain, slightly over-sized cardboard envelopes that always came with corner dings) but the other week I got a 100% branded Whiplash mailer from Europe and I'll be damned if the thing wasn't collapsing on itself, it's the flimsiest cardboard imaginable; totally different from the US Whiplash mailers.

I'm sure it has to do with some EU environmental protections or something and whatever makes North American cardboard so rigid and superior must kill a bunch of sea creatures but boy is it annoying...

16 hours ago, Iggy_Pilot said:

I think this is a very idealistic but also naive and simple view of things. Going full analog is not simple. Maybe you should (re)read articles and interviews Shields gave on the process when they released it in 2018 initially.

Please remember Loveless did not even exist in it's completeness on analogue tape before. A tape had to be created for the 2018 reissues. That is a safety copy of course. Not the original master tape was used for it because of all the splicing. 

Labels will not do the complicated out of house cutting every time to keep titles in production. It is basically the reason why first pressings are of higher value than reissues. It's always been like that.

Anyway, I own the 2018 AAA as well as an OG 1991 pressing. I like the OG better. That's why I am curious what the new digital one will sound like because the OG one was not AAA of course.

It may be idealistic but I don't think there is anything inherently negative about having an idealistic standard. And to be technical it hasn't "always been like this." Before digital audio was an option, labels re-cut everything from analog tapes. There is a long-standing precedent in the industry for having the capability to handle these projects exclusively in the analog domain. For a long time, that was all there was. I'm aware that since DAW's have overtaken the recording industry, the mixing and mastering facilities have followed suit to be better suited to accommodate digital recordings and proceed to mix and master in the digital domain. However analog-capable facilities still exist and the engineers who know how to run them are also still around.

I'm not comfortable becoming well-adjusted to the notion that because digital is easier for the label, that it should acceptable to convert analog recordings be they multi-tracks or stereo mixdowns, to digital because its harder work to keep it analog outside of extenuating circumstances where an analog master is in peril of being destroyed or severely damaged by the process. But especially when a fully analog end product has been demonstrably achievable by the fact of a fully analog end product being made for sale.  I just happen to be an analog purist so if a full analog product is an option (which it clearly is), I like to see it preserved and not "contaminated" by a simultaneous and nearly identical release which has been converted to digital somewhere in the process.