PO Now: Sufjan Stevens - The Greatest Gift (Carrie & Lowell demos/remixes)

Out in November

AK: https://store.asthmatickitty.com/collections/featured/products/sufjan-stevens-greatest-gift?variant=973922336795

BM: http://www.bullmoose.com/p/26043867/sufjan-stevens-the-greatest-gift-translucent-yellow-vinyl

The Greatest Gift is a mixtape of outtakes, remixes and demos from Sufjan’s 2015 album Carrie & Lowell. The release is available in translucent yellow vinyl and yellow cassette.

This collection serves as a companion piece to the Carrie & Lowell Live album released earlier this year (and as an expansion to the original album). In the same way the live show featured re-interpretations of the songs from Carrie & Lowell, the mixtape unveils new remixes by several longstanding collaborators including Roberto C. Lange (aka Helado Negro), Thomas Bartlett (aka Doveman), and James McAlister (aka 900X). The album also features Sufjan’s own remix of “Drawn to the Blood.”

The mixtape includes a few alternate and/or demo versions of songs from the original album. The digital release also contains an iPhone demo of the song “Carrie & Lowell.”

The mixtape features four previously unreleased new songs, “official” outtakes from Carrie & Lowell (they were recorded at the same time as the album). These include “Wallowa Lake Monster,” “The Hidden River of My Life,” “City of Roses,” and “The Greatest Gift.” This new material,  in its investigation of love, life, death, God, and the beautiful state of Oregon, serves as a contemplative companion to the original album. We hope you enjoy.

AKR134---Vinyl-Record-PSD-MockUp-1_1024x

2 hours ago, richardsurf said:

1. This is an instant buy.

2. $10+ cassettes are so stupid. Do cassettes cost labels $5 a piece to produce all of a sudden?

Back when I was 10 and didn't have a CD player yet, cassettes cost $12 to $15 at all the music stores. You kids today have it so easy! 

37 minutes ago, simple_torture said:

$20 new means I can probably get it a month or two later for $15, which ain't bad.

Part of my issue with it is I'm not really a remix kind of guy, so I essentially see it as paying for four songs. I don't want to pay more than about $10 for four songs and I'd genuinely prefer just a 10" of outtakes at that point. That's just a me thing though, I know not everyone feels the same.

12 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Part of my issue with it is I'm not really a remix kind of guy, so I essentially see it as paying for four songs. I don't want to pay more than about $10 for four songs and I'd genuinely prefer just a 10" of outtakes at that point. That's just a me thing though, I know not everyone feels the same.

I am with you here but I did like the Blue Bucket of Gold remix (not on this comp but released a while back) and I'm hoping these are close to that. Normally, remixes are terrible, boring, repetitive, etc.

• 1 month later...