New to Vinyl Records. Need some advice

Hi there,

I am a beginner looking to start a vinyl record collection and was just after any advice that you can share with me.

I am hoping to get a modest-intermediate turntable, amp and speaker set up. Can anyone suggest any good components to look for? I was thinking about Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB Turntable,  Yamaha A-S201Stereo Integrated Amplifier and Bowers & Wilkins 686 S2 shelf speakers. This is what was recommended to me by a local Hifi shop.

Also, can anyone shed any light on the storage of the records? I understand I should stack them vertically and keep them out of sunlight and away from heat and freezing temperatures. My home can get quite warm in summer as I don't have air conditioning will this cause a problem? What do you use for storage containers?

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards

@ADZG

That's a perfectly good starting point equipment wise and if I were being totally critical I would say  the turntable is the weakest link in the chain but still more than good enough to start with.

If you do buy that set of kit make sure you get the dealer to turn off the phono stage inside the Audio Technica as the one inside the Yamaha will be better.

Vinyl storage wise you are pretty much correct and I wouldn't worry too much about the heat, direct sunlight is much more of a problem. I like many others use the Kallax from Ikea which was the successor to the Expedit, the squares are roughly 13" so ideal for vinyl

I recommend the U-Turn Orbit from firsthand experience.

It's a great starter TT at a great price.

Excellent customer service, product

You can go with a basic for $180 or upgrade/customize as you see fit.

The Orbit with acrylic platter and Ortofon 2M Red will run $329

https://uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-custom

• 2 weeks later...