PO NOW:Tom Waits Anti- Catolog reissues

26 minutes ago, simple_torture said:

If I remember correctly, there were a bunch of manufacturing errors followed by refunds and replacements, something like that.

Yes. The first pressings sounded terrible.

It took roughly a year to get the replacements.

They were probably soured on future reissues after that fiasco.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking around for more info on these and came across this on the Anti- site. I'm posting it because the info about O:BB&B is interesting. 

The first to be released is the Grammy nominated album Bad As Me (2011). These songs were designed to be lean and mean, with strong hooks and tight running times. From the opening horn-fueled chug of “Chicago”, to the closing barroom chorale of “New Year’s Eve”, Bad As Me displays the full career range of Waits’ songwriting, from beautiful ballads like “Last Leaf” to the avant cinematic soundscape of “Hell Broke Luce” a battlefront dispatch. Waits worked with longtime co-writer and producer Kathleen Brennan, in addition to Waits’ veterans; Keith Richards, Marc Ribot, David Hidalgo, Larry Taylor and Casey Waits. Bad As Me arrives in stores November 16th.

Other remastered albums to be released:
Mule Variations (1999) The Grammy award winner for Best Contemporary Folk Album, and Certified Gold Record, offers the iconic songs “Hold On” and “What’s He Building in There” along with the groove heavy, “Get Behind The Mule.” Experimentation are interspersed with some of the most beautiful and personal songs Waits has written.

Blood Money (2002) Based on the true story of Woyzeck, a conscripted German soldier, who murders the mother of his child after being driven mad by army drug experiments. This is a darkly rhythmic record, illuminating life’s bleak carnival with songs like “Misery is The River of the World” and “God’s Away on Business” and includes the melancholic beauty of “All the World is Green” and “The Part You Throw Away.” Marimba, bass clarinet, trumpet, viola, cello, calliope and log drums form the core group of instruments.

Alice (2002) Alice is a haunted, moody chamber piece devoted to the obsessive, forbidden love of Charles Dodgson for Alice Liddell, for whom Alice in Wonderland was created. Piano, pump organ, cello, theremin and stroh violin are the main instruments employed for these melancholy and comic musings on death, longing, and the random meanness of life. Waits adapts the classic blues jazz balladry his early career in the eponymous song, “Alice” and the seasick pump organ and strings ode to the wall that separated East from West Germany, “Lost in the Harbor.”

Real Gone (2004) Grammy nominated and featuring an entirely new mix that better fulfills the dynamic musical soundscape Waits/Brennan envisioned from the beginning. To accomplish this they returned to the multitrack session tapes and enhanced certain instruments or a vocal arrangement to create a sound that better represents the full bodied more sonically vibrant and jagged edges that Waits and Brennan were originally going for but lost.

Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards (2006) This Grammy Nominated, Gold certified three disc set will be offered as separate records for the first time. The collection goes beyond a simple career retrospective with over 30 newly recorded songs and unique interpretations of songs by a diverse group of artists which include, The Ramones, Daniel Johnston, Kurt Weill & Bertolt Brecht and Leadbelly.

Glitter and Doom Live (2009) Disc one captures 17 performances hand-picked by Waits from his sold-out 2008 international tour. The collection features a haunting “Trampled Rose” from Real Gone and a hypnotic “Get Behind the Mule” from Mule Variations. Waits also digs into the vaults for tracks like a reimagined “Singapore” from 1985’s Rain Dogs. The second disc, “Tom Tales”, features a selection of the comic bromides, strange musings, and unusual facts that Tom traditionally shares with audiences.

I'm ok with that. Segments of the fanbase and pick and choose, and the prospect of having  to charge everyone for a boxset treatment making it a 100+  dollar purchase (closer to double that in today's market tbh) is avoided completely. And, if one of the pressings suck, it's way easier to replace.

Edited by armadillo01

If Orphans is released as three 2-LP sets, then I assume the original bonus disc won't be included. I'm okay with that, though--it's been a while since I've listened to it, but I just gazed over the tracklist and there are literally dozens of songs on here I love, so I'm not going to cry if 6 I barely ever listen to don't make the cut.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So, my friend is a Waits fanatic and new to buying records. He bought a copy of the Closing Time reissue, but was bummed by how bad it sounded so he returned it. He's wondering if the clear variant might be a new pressing with better sound... I'm skeptical about that. Not sure if the clears have shipped yet or whatever, but if anyone picks one up will you please post your thoughts? Also, there appears to be a Euro pressing from a different plant. My gut says that one will sound better, but haven't seen anyone confirm this. Has anyone listened to it?

Thanks! 

Preorders for indie exclusive pressings of Nighthawks At The Diner (red vinyl) and The Heart Of Saturday Night (yellow vinyl) have been happening for a while now at  a number of retailers but I haven't heard anything about an indie exclusive pressing of Small Change (though Vinyl Me. Please did have a blue pressing that sold out very quickly).

13 minutes ago, aphasias said:

Preorders for indie exclusive pressings of Nighthawks At The Diner (red vinyl) and The Heart Of Saturday Night (yellow vinyl) have been happening for a while now at  a number of retailers but I haven't heard anything about an indie exclusive pressing of Small Change (though Vinyl Me. Please did have a blue pressing that sold out very quickly).

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/27230176/tom-waits-small-change-indie-exclusive

• 1 month later...