PO NOW: Bon Iver - Emma, Forever Ago (ltd reissue)

https://boniver.org/store/us/14266/preorder-limited-edition-for-emma-forever-ago-lp-us

20171030_000431_10291_1022000.jpeg

A limited edition reissue of Bon Iver's classic album For Emma, Forever Ago will be released February 16, 2018 on LP and CD via Jagjaguwar. The reissue will feature new artwork and a reflective in-depth essay written by longtime Bon Iver friend and collaborator, Trever Hagen.

33 1/3 RPM 12" vinyl LP in deluxe spot varnish 'old style' tip gatefold jacket with lyrics insert.

1 hour ago, duckydan said:

what's the point of this? isn't the original press still readily available from jagjaguwar?

Well, what's the point of Vinyl Me, Please reissuing readily available albums on fancy colors? Because people buy 'em. This one at least has more than a different vinyl color, although it'd be nice to know how limited it is.

I don't think I'm so in love with Bon Iver or his music that I have to have this anyway, though. I love the idea of alternate covers but no one seems to execute it very well, and the only other extra thing is an essay about (I'm guessing) how deep the album is. 

What's wrong with the OP plates? Is it a CD master or a victim of over-compression?

I'll take a listen to it again but it's a lot better than the 22, A Million pressing, with that shittiest-bundle-of-all-time 12" (A less-than-4-minute-song on BOTH sides!!!!!!!!!) that I'm still mad about.

23 minutes ago, armadillo01 said:

What's wrong with the OP plates? Is it a CD master or a victim of over-compression?

I'll take a listen to it again but it's a lot better than the 22, A Million pressing, with that shittiest-bundle-of-all-time 12" (A less-than-4-minute-song on BOTH sides!!!!!!!!!) that I'm still mad about.

Lol the 22, A Million pressing is fucking incredible and the best sounding of the three LPs by a vast margin. That single was exactly what they said it was before you bought it soooo.

10 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Lol the 22, A Million pressing is fucking incredible and the best sounding of the three LPs by a vast margin. That single was exactly what they said it was before you bought it soooo.

I find the master is too "hot" for my tastes.

Yes, I was actually expecting a different mix at very least, and it so happens I was not scouring the internet looking for exact details to realize the difference of a few bars of extra music is not actually worth it ahead of purchase. If we're at "shame on me for buying on good faith" with this hobby with a reputable artist on a reputable label upselling you a waste of a 12" that shamelessly then the hobby is FUBAR tbh. As if there aren't enough other things to complain about the hobby these days, from the mastering stage and on...

59 minutes ago, armadillo01 said:

I find the master is too "hot" for my tastes.

Yes, I was actually expecting a different mix at very least, and it so happens I was not scouring the internet looking for exact details to realize the difference of a few bars of extra music is not actually worth it ahead of purchase. If we're at "shame on me for buying on good faith" with this hobby with a reputable artist on a reputable label upselling you a waste of a 12" that shamelessly then the hobby is FUBAR tbh. As if there aren't enough other things to complain about the hobby these days, from the mastering stage and on...

They're at 45rpm and sound even better than they do on the LP. I just found it odd you were annoyed they were less than 4 minutes. Don't see how a different mix would have lengthened the songs.

3 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Show me a Bon Iver record with only 2 redeeming tracks.

I haven't listened to this album since it came out and I only recall 2 songs, probably cause they got played out so much but that's why I said that, I honestly don't think I've listened to any other of his albums so maybe I'm speaking out of turn.

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

They're at 45rpm and sound even better than they do on the LP. I just found it odd you were annoyed they were less than 4 minutes. Don't see how a different mix would have lengthened the songs.

It would have at least been of value to me if the sonic content were appreciably different. Hearing two tracks on 45rpm isn't worth the upsell. Compared to the history or 12"s bundled with albums on release, it's low on the value scale IMO.

1 hour ago, Codyoster said:

I haven't listened to this album since it came out and I only recall 2 songs, probably cause they got played out so much but that's why I said that, I honestly don't think I've listened to any other of his albums so maybe I'm speaking out of turn.

I rate him way more highly than other "pop alt-country" like Fleet Foxes or Mumford and Sons. I compare him to Phosphorescent more.

People asking what's the point of this, it's a 10 year anniversary addition:

The reissue will feature new artwork and a reflective in-depth essay written by longtime Bon Iver friend and collaborator, Trever Hagen.

33 1/3 RPM 12" vinyl LP in deluxe spot varnish 'old style' tip gatefold jacket with lyrics insert.

In my book that's plenty different enough to warrant a reissue. But also I'm a tremendous fan of this band, JV himself, and all his previous bands and side projects. I lived in Eau Claire for a few years and grew to really appreciate his music and what he does for his community. He's also probably the most humble person I've ever met. I'll be driving 6ish hours for the Milwaukee show too. Looking forward to all of this.