New to vinyl, looking for setup advice.

Hello all, I hope you're well.

I'm not new to audio, but vinyl is something I've never really been in to because of space constraints.

My main passions music-wise are jazz, classical and opera. I still don't have space really for large speakers, so I am not too sure what I'd need in the way of pre-amps, amps etc.

I live in the UK so as far as currency is concerned, my budget is £3000-5000, which at the current conversion rate is around $4000-6500.

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

34 minutes ago, john said:

If you are at the point where you don't even know what you need it would be insane to spend that kind of money

I don't think so.  He said he's not new to audio.  As long has he has the budget there's no reason to go through the entry-level motions just to step up to mid-range gear 6 months later.  $4-$6k isn't a massive sum of money when it comes to this stuff.

$4-$6k is a shit load of money. You could get a pretty damn good setup for a lot less than that and still have a ton left over to logically upgrade when you know what you are looking for. Unless this guy has that kind of disposable income, in that case, I'll gtfo

Edited by john

@RollTide A couple of questions

Do you have any other audio equipment i.e amplifier, speakers CD player etc? and if so what sort of quality is it?

Are you just looking at new or are you happy to look at used equipment?

Is space still an issue? Speaker size is a consideration but its more down to the size of room you want to fill with sound and how far from the speakers you are going to be.

And lastly where in the UK are you?

With your budget you have a couple of options:

Find a decent proper HiFi shop and go and see what you like the sound of that fits into your budget, you could go to Richers or Sevenoaks hifi but their range is more aimed at AV and the lower to mid end of Hifi, that siad both are very good places to start

Or go used but make sure you do your research, used will give you far more value for money but getting to listen to equipment will be harder unless you have a good 2nd hand Hifi dealer you can go to and the risks of being sold a pup from somewhere like ebay or gumtree are obviously much higher.

If you are in the south of the UK then message me as I can probably point you in the right direction if I don't have the sort of kit you are looking for.

• 2 months later...