Minus The Bear - Planet of Ice 2xLP New New Pressing on "Moon Phase" Vinyl

jhulud

• 2 weeks later...
  • jhulud changed the title to Minus The Bear - Planet of Ice 2xLP New New Pressing on "Moon Phase" Vinyl
  • 1 month later...

it's been almost 2 months since I received my damaged order from suicide squeeze and I have gotten no response to the 3 follow up emails I have sent them asking for replacement jacket or a return.  anyone having luck contacting them?  

their customer service is HORRIBLE/non-existent

• 1 month later...

Glad to see these getting repressed! I did not like post Planet of Ice albums for the longest but I have just started recently listening to Infinity Overhead and my god has my opinion changed. That album is right up there with Planet of Ice and Menos el Oso. 

Edited by dapeebs

14 minutes ago, dapeebs said:

Glad to see these getting repressed! I did not like post Planet of Ice albums for the longest but I have just started recently listening to Infinity Overhead and my god has my opinion changed. That album is right up there with Planet of Ice and Menos el Oso. 

Post Planet of Ice is almost a completely different band.  But, that band is really good.

53 minutes ago, highfives said:

Post Planet of Ice is almost a completely different band.  But, that band is really good.

Agreed. They went with a more "party" vibe after Planet of Ice. I still only like half of Omni and really haven't warmed up to VOIDS, but Infinity Overhead is awesome. It mixes their old style so well with the newer sound.

Edited by dapeebs

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

TL:DR - The latest 45rpm repress is the best sounding, in my opinion. Hope this may or may not help anyone on the fence about getting this latest pressing. 

With the wife out of town, I finally got a chance to compare the OG press with the 33rpm press and the latest 45rpm repress. 

Disclaimer: This is the opinion of one person, and I won't claim to be some audiophile. This is just based on my ears, which may not be the greatest anyway. 

Setup: Pro-Ject Classic Evo w/Sumiko Amethyst; Anthem STR Integrated Amplifier; Focal Aria 936 speakers 

Test track (listened to multiple times swapping between all pressings): Part 2

I'll start with the 33rpm press. This was the worst sounding, and it wasn't honestly that bad. Basically, it sounded like all the instruments were in a tunnel stacked on top of one another. That doesn't mean there was echo or a tunnel-like sound, but simply everything was placed directly in front of you, with no separation. Despite this, everything sounded relatively clear.

Next, the 45rpm OG press. As soon as I put this on, I could hear the difference. There was a stage. Everything was spread out and clear. I enjoyed the extra depth it provided. But maybe too spread out? Lastly, it felt a bit bombastic when everything kicked in midway through. (Go listen to the track and you'll know the part I'm talking about. Sorry for the poor articulation.)

Last, the latest 45rpm repress. What makes it better? Basically, it takes the separation and hones in instruments and sounds, along with providing additional clarity on certain instruments. Some instruments like the acoustic guitar are front and center, while the electric sounds off to the sides. It's this added detail and focus that puts this in the top spot for me.

With all of that said, unless you have a system capable of that kind of detail, I'm not sure you'd hear a difference between the OG press and the latest repress. Again, all just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth. 

• 8 months later...