PO Now: Songs: Ohia - Travels in Constants (b/w "Howler") (Out 2/16/18)

Only the one-sheet is available through Secretly Canadian right now; also mentions limited-edition colored vinyl run of 500. On vinyl for the first time.

http://www.secretlydistribution.com/resources/trr246.pdf

Sometime in 2001 – sandwiched between the release of Ghost Tropic and its follow-up, the cryptic classic, Didn't It Rain – Songs: Ohia recorded an EP for Temporary Residence's distance-themed subscription series, Travels In Constants. The untitled EP consisted of a single 18-minute song – performed live by Jason Molina in his living room, recorded directly to 4-track cassette as the sounds of a typical Chicago night bled through the air. Built solely from an acoustic guitar and Molina's familiar melancholy croon, it's a hauntingly intimate track. Molina once remarked that it was "probably too out there" for a proper Songs: Ohia album, which is perhaps why is felt right at home in this context. Scarcely available in its original CD-only edition of 1,000 copies, Travels In Constants has finally been remastered and reissued for vinyl and digital formats. Completing this reissue is "Howler," another unusually lengthy Songs: Ohia track that, like “Travels In Constants”, was recorded and released in 2001 in an edition of only 1,000. These tracks are amongst the most abstractly beautiful and alarmingly delicate music that Molina ever committed to tape. It's an honor to finally make it properly available for the world.

Edited by simple_torture

This was probably 4th or 5th on my list of Molina records that I'd like to see repressed--still very exciting. My current list is probably:

1. Sojourner

2. Mi Sei Apparso Come Un Fantasma

3. Hard to Love a Man EP

4. Our Golden Ratio EP

5. No Moon on the Water 7"

1 hour ago, simple_torture said:

This was probably 4th or 5th on my list of Molina records that I'd like to see repressed--still very exciting. My current list is probably:

1. Sojourner

2. Mi Sei Apparso Come Un Fantasma

3. Hard to Love a Man EP

4. Our Golden Ratio EP

5. No Moon on the Water 7"

my list is exactly the same, but i would flip 1 and 2. and i say that as someone who already owns Mi Sei Apparso Come Un Fantasma. sadly my copy has some skips. :(

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

Well that went quick. Glad I decided to pull the trigger on this one. Doubt I got one of the CDs though frrrrrt.

I could be wrong but I think the first batch that sold out was the lot of 180 with the CD. My guess is they will put up a new drop down with the remaining 320 exclusive colored vinyl without the CD.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope no one else ordered from Fat Beats, if you did you might want to check your e-mail, they're not getting any colour copies. They claim that every copy of the colour version was set aside for the label's store. A label rep on Twitter claims that's not true so, who knows. I just wish they would have told us before Temporary Residence sold out. :(

On 1/8/2018 at 11:50 PM, fitterhappier said:

I hope this means they do other Travel in Constants releases on vinyl

FYI, Low's  was released last year as "The Exit Papers" by TRL, and Mogwai's was released as Side F of the 4LP reissue of "Come On Die Young". 

*Oh, and Papa M's was included on his 2LP compilation "Hole of Burning Alms".   Still dunno why TRL doesn't release Explosions in the Sky tho.   Would be a killer RSD release.

Edited by uniquestyle88