Google Docs vs. Discogs for record collection list

Google Docs vs. Discogs  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Which site do you prefer when tracking your record collection?

• Discogs
    • Google Docs

Sorry if there is a thread on this already but I couldn't find one when searching. I saved my list from DeadFormat before they shut down and am about to invest a bunch of time switching it over to one of these guys (like many of you have already). I'm curious which one is used more by VC people and why.

Edited by derkwithano

I had the same debate with myself about a month ago. I finally decided on Google Docs because I like the clean look of all the titles in one place. Discogs isn't awful, but I have quite a few older albums and I just want to list the label and color, rather than trying to look at the matrix to make sure I choose the correct press and whatnot. I also didn't want to have to create a new listing if something isn't on Discogs.

I guess it really boils down to me being lazy, and Google Docs let me stay that way.

Discogs and for me at least it is not even close with how much the mobile version has improved over the last year. Sure, some of the older releases can be a bit of a pain to find the exact right release but it's nice knowing the exact releases of everything I have.

The barcode scanner in the discogs app is awesome as well to just simply scan a record after I cleaned it and throw it in the collection. I also use this at record stores or wherever to quickly scan and see what it is going for to see how good of a deal it is.

The big thing is to not try and get it done over night, if you got a good sized collection just space it out a bit and do it right.

I also use both because I am also crazy. I have a Google Doc (which is a lot more time-consuming and detailed) and Discogs just for adding at the click of a button, mostly for selling. And the Google Doc that tracks incoming mail. At the very bottom is the dead zone where I paid for things that never showed. 

i use both and actually rely on a word/pages document, which is essential to me for cataloguing purposes

Devine, Kevin - Brother's Blood (1st) - Baby Blue/Pink Swirl - /500

Devine, Kevin - Brother's Blood (2nd) - Purple/Pink With Purple/Pink Splatter - /200

Devine, Kevin - Bubblegum - Clear - /700

Devine, Kevin - Bubblegum - Purple Glitter - /100

Devine, Kevin - Bulldozer - Clear Yellow - /700

Devine, Kevin - Bulldozer - Purple Glitter - /100

Devine, Kevin - Circle Gets The Square - Clear Maroon With Black Smoke - /300

Devine, Kevin - Driving Baby Lips - Black - /300

is much more useful to me in the moment than the discogs equivalent, but i keep both

if discogs was smart they would let me know which items someone has in their collection are on my wantlist, whether they are for sale or not...i cant look through someones 2000 item collection piece by piece, but if i knew they had 10 things on my list, id be more inclined to buy from them.

do they not do that because they think it would encourage outside deals?

maybe they could have the option "offer on these items" or something

Edited by shamrocks

1 hour ago, inlimbo said:

Speaking of which, does anyone here have their collection insured? I've been on the fence about it.

I worried about getting it insured separately, but I've got mine documented, and both my insurance agent and my dad who works in insurance assure me that my homeowner's insurance covers it.

17 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Here's a question: Those of you who prefer Google Docs due to it being too messy...do you not know how to change how your collection is sorted in there? You can sort artist a-z, album a-z, release date, etc.

I know that you can change the sorting and even the display, but it’s still too cluttered and not customizable enough for my likings, personally.

19 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I worried about getting it insured separately, but I've got mine documented, and both my insurance agent and my dad who works in insurance assure me that my homeowner's insurance covers it.

Documented meaning on discogs and such? I've wondering about it being covered with home owner's insurance but, since I have no experience filing an insurance claim like this, I wasn't sure what was sufficient evidence of ownership.

10 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I know that you can change the sorting and even the display, but it’s still too cluttered and not customizable enough for my likings, personally.

Exactly! Here's an example:

(Google Docs)

Basement - I Wish I Could Stay Here [Run For Cover] cream /300 (2nd press)

Cassino - Kingprince [Collective Confusion] green vinyl & green jacket /100 (2xLP/2nd press/screen-printed/Working Man Records variant)

(Discogs)  

Basement (4) - I Wish I Could Stay Here (Run For Cover Records (2) - RFC:043) LP, Album, RP, Cre

Cassino (3) - Kingprince (Collective Confusion Records - CCR-003) 2xLP, Ltd, RP

Google Docs just looks way better to me. I believe I'm just going to try both....the conversion to Google Docs was quick. Discogs will take awhile but I'm intrigued.