Google Docs vs. Discogs for record collection list

Google Docs vs. Discogs  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Which site do you prefer when tracking your record collection?

• Discogs
    • Google Docs

3 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I know that you can change the sorting and even the display, but it’s still too cluttered and not customizable enough for my likings, personally.

Huh. I like having all the info right there without really having to enter it. To each their own!

3 hours ago, achillesstand7 said:

Documented meaning on discogs and such? I've wondering about it being covered with home owner's insurance but, since I have no experience filing an insurance claim like this, I wasn't sure what was sufficient evidence of ownership.

Documented on discogs and via photo. I'm still working on taking individual photos of each album, but I've got a full shot at least showing that the number of records I have listed looks accurate. I've been documenting the actual records themselves on instagram (been slacking the last couple months though.

in light of dead format going under, was it truly unique in its tracking of pressing information (namely, number of units, colors, etc.)? are there any adequate replacements, or is this the "no shit idiot that's why we're arguing discogs vs google docs" moment? 

i always kept my info in excel prior to ever finding DF, and for what it's worth (nothing), i hate discogs' interface

I always preferred Discogs over others, but I only started cataloging everything about 5 years ago. I was never a huge fan of DF, but to each his own. 

I have been toying with the idea of documenting in a spreadsheet for insurance purposes as well. As the collection/ equipment is nearing $20-30k in money spent, it seems silly not to. 

9 hours ago, chamb117 said:

in light of dead format going under, was it truly unique in its tracking of pressing information (namely, number of units, colors, etc.)? are there any adequate replacements, or is this the "no shit idiot that's why we're arguing discogs vs google docs" moment? 

i always kept my info in excel prior to ever finding DF, and for what it's worth (nothing), i hate discogs' interface

Most records on DF that actually had all the pressing info (mostly pop punky emo stuff) has it listed on discogs on the info page anyways. I'm pretty sure Discogs has a lot more info including pressing numbers and pictures than DF ever had. Example: https://www.discogs.com/Touché-Amoré-To-The-Beat-Of-A-Dead-Horse/master/299960

Both.  Started out with just a excel spreadsheet but eventually brought that over to Google Docs.  Earlier this year I finally got Discogs all set up and I still keep both up to date.  Google docs is in the exact order of how the records are on my shelves which is convenient for organization reasons and I like the features Discogs gives so I stuck with using both.

8 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Most records on DF that actually had all the pressing info (mostly pop punky emo stuff) has it listed on discogs on the info page anyways. I'm pretty sure Discogs has a lot more info including pressing numbers and pictures than DF ever had. Example: https://www.discogs.com/Touché-Amoré-To-The-Beat-Of-A-Dead-Horse/master/299960

oh man i guess i just never learned to navigate discogs properly. thanks for illuminating!

46 minutes ago, swazzyswess said:

Potentially a dumb question: is Google Docs basically interchangeable with an Excel spreadsheet? I can't fathom why someone would choose it over Discogs unless it offers some record-specific features.

It has an Excel like program, yeah. The upside is you can access it anywhere without paying for software and cloud space to store your Excel sheet (Excel is superior in many ways, but probably not for record collecting).

32 minutes ago, underwaterzoo said:

Probably a dumb question, but I’m not familiar with Google Docs. Is it something I can do through an IPhone or do I have to use it through an actual PC/Mac?

It's web-based, although I wouldn't recommend doing it on a phone. If you have a Google/Gmail/YouTube account, you can just go to drive.google.com and hit the NEW button to start a new text document or spreadsheet.

7 minutes ago, AlexH. said:

It's web-based, although I wouldn't recommend doing it on a phone. If you have a Google/Gmail/YouTube account, you can just go to drive.google.com and hit the NEW button to start a new text document or spreadsheet.

Is there a specific template people use or does everyone just make their own style spreadsheet?

On 12/2/2017 at 6:14 PM, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I worried about getting it insured separately, but I've got mine documented, and both my insurance agent and my dad who works in insurance assure me that my homeowner's insurance covers it.

My basement flooded and I lost about 30 records I had down there.  When the adjuster came he said it wasn't included.  I called my wife's cousin who works for an insurance company and he said that he was just lazy and that it should be covered.  I ended up sending an email with artist and album title and received a check not long after.

20 hours ago, Fowty Dollaz said:

It has an Excel like program, yeah. The upside is you can access it anywhere without paying for software and cloud space to store your Excel sheet (Excel is superior in many ways, but probably not for record collecting).

Can you access your goggle doc on your phone?  I tried the other day but wasn't having any luck.

3 hours ago, aviolentworld said:

My basement flooded and I lost about 30 records I had down there.  When the adjuster came he said it wasn't included.  I called my wife's cousin who works for an insurance company and he said that he was just lazy and that it should be covered.  I ended up sending an email with artist and album title and received a check not long after.

Good to hear from someone with firsthand experience! Sorry you had to deal with that though.

2 hours ago, dnl said:

I keep my comic collection in an excel file. Its so much work to maintain. I can't imagine doing the same with a record collection. Definitely can't imagine keeping track of a collection with a word document.

Woof. That's why I just do graphic novels/collections. I have a list of titles/numbers that I still need, but I don't bother keeping a list of ones I have.