VINYL MOON Appreciation Topic

19 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Honestly, very cool of you to give it a shot and see what it was about before immediately shitting on it. The enjoyment I get from each month is worth the money, to me. It may not be to others. I'd like to think that if they didn't have a sizable userbase they wouldn't be around after two years, so it's the kind of thing that either appeals to you, or it doesn't. Then again, I like "chillbeats" and I listen to a lot of downtempo and lo-fi hip hop stuff in the background so it provides excellent BG music each month if not something I can really dig into. 

I still, however, can't get behind the comparison to VNYL. Buying 3 generic records and sending them to someone is far less effort than seeking out (or being sought out by) bands and picking which ones should go in what order and then finding a visual artist that can bring the whole thing together (the coolest volume I have is a massive panorama 5 panel gatefold that has the most intricate "where's waldo" type design) -- it's a lot more creative entities in place than VNYL which buys records no one can get rid of at cheaper than wholesale prices and regurgitates them. 

I appreciate your response, regardless.

Yep, just like those giant 300 dollar Eagles or like, Boston boxsets from Popmarket, even though I vehemently disagree with the idea, the music and the presentation, it usually wouldn't keep going unless it's working - despite what I say, if 28 versions of this thing have happened so far, they must be keeping someone happy. If anything it allows certain physical artists to try different things, which I definitely approve of. 

The comparison to VNYL I'm making might only make sense in my own head. Right now VNYL sends your three (new) records that suit your tastes somehow, but when they began, the 'hand-curated vibe' they were trying to sell was something ephemeral, something not solid, not everyone can agree upon what music fits certain 'vibes' because everyone listens to music differently. It was three dumpster records of various artists that might fit under a theme, send them to you monthly and get billed monthly. That sounds super familiar to this VinylMoon concept, which puts a 'mixtape' of various "up and coming' artists under a theme on one record and sends it to you monthly and get billed monthly. There's too much mysterious bullshit and I don't trust  anyone to 'curate' anything, I guess is what it boils down to, and I'm tired of seeing businesses use this tack. It's like loot boxes, except you only get one thing and you might hate it. The records are pretty, I'll give it that.

Also, the site is horrendous, constantly points me to buy stuff, and when you're on a page for more than 4 seconds that stupid fucker in the bottom right corner pops up like "If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help tell you all about our crazy project" and they make even figuring out what the hell it's all about very arduous. 

I am a nitpicker, it's true.

I came into this thread expecting actual "appreciation" for VM but then forgot this was VC...

I've been a subscriber since the beginning and have no plans on cancelling. It should be said that this subscription is for fans of indie pop or synth-pop since that's what more than 80% of the music is which anyone (that's ever been on this board for longer than a day) would know that this isn't something VC would be interested in. Almost every artist (not all) is unsigned and has no other physical release available so this is just a showcase for those types of artists as well as the artists that create and design the packaging. The subscription is pricey, but the packaging and the quality of the vinyl is not cheap.

10ppd might seem like a good deal but if you know what you like, then buy what you like.

Man. I am just here to tell OP thanks for posting. Everybody needs to chill. If you don't like it, don't comment. OP was just trying to spread something he enjoys to others who share the same interests. Put your pitchforks away....

6 minutes ago, sonumbertwelve said:

Man. I am just here to tell OP thanks for posting. Everybody needs to chill. If you don't like it, don't comment. OP was just trying to spread something he enjoys to others who share the same interests. Put your pitchforks away....

He could post a legitimate link to a website that sends you a bar of gold for signing up and we'd still do this because it's him tbh

23 minutes ago, dnl said:

@Kanye West do you have volume 1? Control by Olympic Ayres is one of my all time favorite songs and seeing that was the first song on the first volume garnered a lot of goodwill from me and convinced me to subscribe. It's pretty hard to find a copy now.

I joined at volume 4 and soon after he did a crazy flash sale for the first three volumes that were out of print because he had a few extras. I managed to snag all 3 and I've been a fan ever since. 

10 hours ago, dnl said:

@Kanye West do you have volume 1? Control by Olympic Ayres is one of my all time favorite songs and seeing that was the first song on the first volume garnered a lot of goodwill from me and convinced me to subscribe. It's pretty hard to find a copy now.

There are at least ten different bands that play that same song.  That said, as much as I'm opposed to this whole idea, the first song I clicked on through the archives, randomly, was great.  Still not buying.

Come on man. You can't post whatever you want on a forum and expect other people not to post whatever they want. This is not a 'positive comments only' safe space for anyone. People have a right to comment on what other people freely post as long as it falls within the rules, and I did, and several others did. It's obviously not for everyone. I would consider myself far out of the VC general taste but this still doesn't appeal at all.  Most of the time if forums are full of unanimous praise it's because it's a dummy website or because the product has wide appeal and merit.

8 hours ago, HoneyFrosted said:

Come on man. You can't post whatever you want on a forum and expect other people not to post whatever they want. This is not a 'positive comments only' safe space for anyone. People have a right to comment on what other people freely post as long as it falls within the rules, and I did, and several others did. It's obviously not for everyone. I would consider myself far out of the VC general taste but this still doesn't appeal at all.  Most of the time if forums are full of unanimous praise it's because it's a dummy website or because the product has wide appeal and merit.

Damn dude, it's not that deep. No one's asking for a "safe space" or debating anyone's "rights" (lol). I'm just not gonna sit here and argue with someone attacking my own personal music tastes. No one has time for that. I'm just gonna ignore the comments. I like what I like and you like what you like. If you don't like vinyl moon? Good for you buddy. You don't like Olympic Ayres? You're wrong but that's okay.

12 hours ago, dnl said:

Damn dude, it's not that deep.

(lol)

I'm just not gonna sit here and argue with someone attacking my own personal music tastes.

You don't like Olympic Ayres? You're wrong but that's okay.

Don't understand the ultra defensive-ness. 

It's literally impossible to be 'wrong' about an opinion.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...