PO: PORCUPINE TREE - DEADWING 2xLP & IN ABSENTIA 2xLP

2 hours ago, dynabcn said:

Just checking out because I'm curious about. I'm not bothering anyone I think.  Don't worry mate, I will not put a message each day over here :) 

I meant bothering yourself looking up the numbers...

WOW, so many first press Deadwings showing up on ebay right now :D :D :D

3 hours ago, Sasan said:

WOW, so many first press Deadwings showing up on ebay right now :D :D :D

Really? I'm going to have to look. I have one also, that I will not be unloading, even if I were thinking so to make a buck now that the new one is announced, I certainly wouldn't do so without hearing the new pressing. The OG blue I have is one of the best sounding records I own, so that would be a large risk for the sake of a few bucks. It's so good that it would be tough to top the original. 

35 minutes ago, danyc said:

Really? I'm going to have to look. I have one also, that I will not be unloading, even if I were thinking so to make a buck now that the new one is announced, I certainly wouldn't do so without hearing the new pressing. The OG blue I have is one of the best sounding records I own, so that would be a large risk for the sake of a few bucks. It's so good that it would be tough to top the original. 

Same here with my OG red, which sounds great. Very tempted by the clear reissue for completion's sake, and of course curious to hear it.

I don't see all that many on ebay...but I do see the prices remain ridiculous. Will be interesting to see where the one starting at GBP 9.99 finishes.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PORCUPINE-TREE-DEADWING-2005-RED-VINYL-2LP-POSTER-STEVEN-WILSON-PROG-ROCK/282767122066?hash=item41d63bde92:g:p~QAAOSwevlaLQuM

On 07/12/2017 at 1:23 PM, danyc said:

Obviously people have been crying for a Deadwing repress for ages but the label and PT said it wasn't going to happen. Clearly they were bullshitting us. I already have both of these, but the Deadwing is tempting. I so hope for everyones sake that buys Deadwing that it sounds as good as the OG pressing, cause that one sounds amazing! Can't imagine SW letting an inferior product out though. 

People on FB were saying the shipping rates are insane, so I might wait it out until these are available in the states somehow. 

The label wasn't going to do anything, Steven mentioned as much in a Q&A on Quadraphonic Quad a few years ago:

Dec.14.2014 - Hello folks

Firstly, I'm very glad you enjoy these records. In Absentia especially remains an album of which I'm very proud. Unfortunately as the sound recordings are owned by Warners, and they seem neither interesting in revamping them, or allowing anyone else to license them to do the job, at present any kind of reissue of these 2 albums seems rather remote.

S

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?18341-Will-In-Absentia-or-Deadwing-be-Reissued

Now that Kscope has the rights to these albums Steven has been able to remaster them for vinyl without the ugly loudness wars mastering found on the existing stereo masterings. No doubt they're going to sound fantastic.

Suck it Warners!

Edited by dobyblue

Am i alone in thinking that Porcupine Tree is the best music to come out of England since the Beatles (perhaps an apples and oranges comparison to start with)?  I've been on a PT listening kick ever since word came out about these reissues.  The first album i ever heard of theirs was FOABP maybe 10 years ago whenever it came out and a friend turned me on to it, then i got into Deadwing and In Absentia.  I tried to get into the earlier stuff (the releases from the 90s) and couldn't.  Maybe because i was introduced initially to their "heavier" stuff?  Not sure.  But anyways, FOABP, Deadwing and In Absentia all kick ass, super pumped to add these 2 albums to my collection!

17 minutes ago, thesecrets0308 said:

Am i alone in thinking that Porcupine Tree is the best music to come out of England since the Beatles (perhaps an apples and oranges comparison to start with)? 

If you mean in terms of classic style timeless rock they are up there. Personally I'd say Crippled Black Phoenix fit that bill as well.

27 minutes ago, thesecrets0308 said:

Am i alone in thinking that Porcupine Tree is the best music to come out of England since the Beatles (perhaps an apples and oranges comparison to start with)?  I've been on a PT listening kick ever since word came out about these reissues.  The first album i ever heard of theirs was FOABP maybe 10 years ago whenever it came out and a friend turned me on to it, then i got into Deadwing and In Absentia.  I tried to get into the earlier stuff (the releases from the 90s) and couldn't.  Maybe because i was introduced initially to their "heavier" stuff?  Not sure.  But anyways, FOABP, Deadwing and In Absentia all kick ass, super pumped to add these 2 albums to my collection!

Stupid Dream is a killer album, as is Lightbulb Sun, and Signify. 

7 minutes ago, Stress On The Sky said:

If you mean in terms of classic style timeless rock they are up there. Personally I'd say Crippled Black Phoenix fit that bill as well.

I love CBP.

44 minutes ago, thesecrets0308 said:

I had first heard them, Fear Of A Blank Planet specifically, back in high school almost a decade ago. I hadn't heard much progressive rock and I think it was the first concept album I'd ever heard too. Changed my thoughts and experiences towards music forever. I find FOABP really difficult to listen to as a result of how depressing it is now however. In Absentia is probably my favorite.

1 hour ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Never even heard of that group, will definitely check it out though.

5 hours ago, thesecrets0308 said:

Am i alone in thinking that Porcupine Tree is the best music to come out of England since the Beatles?

My top-2 Bands ever!

i know what you mean...there are a lot of people who got to know PT because of their heavier phase. It’s also my favorite phase of theirs...but there are so many good records/songs from their time before the Opeth-link! Especially LBS and SD! Love them!

4 minutes ago, Sasan said:

My top-2 Bands ever!

i know what you mean...there are a lot of people who got to know PT because of their heavier phase. It’s also my favorite phase of theirs...but there are so many good records/songs from their time before the Opeth-link! Especially LBS and SD! Love them!

Maybe I need to do more listening.  I'll give both of those another shot, I'm always up for falling in love with a new album, especially PT!

12 hours ago, thesecrets0308 said:

Really?

“The Sky Moves Sideways” and the “Moonloop” EP made me a fan for life. 

I am so glad Ted from The Record Convergence played those records while I was shopping in his store way back in the day. :D

9 hours ago, Plarocks said:

Really?

“The Sky Moves Sideways” and the “Moonloop” EP made me a fan for life. 

I am so glad Ted from The Record Convergence played those records while I was shopping in his store way back in the day. :D

Different strokes for different folks I suppose :P

Am I the only one who is on the one hand happy for SW that his solo career is that successful but on the other hand I wish he wasn't that successful so there was still a chance to continue PT? :D I mean his solo stuff is excellent (the last one was mediocre), but it's still not the same :(

24 minutes ago, Sasan said:

Am I the only one who is on the one hand happy for SW that his solo career is that successful but on the other hand I wish he wasn't that successful so there was still a chance to continue PT? :D I mean his solo stuff is excellent (the last one was mediocre), but it's still not the same :(

Admittedly, I have actually never listened to any of Steven Wilson's solo stuff.  But there's no way it can be as good as PT if Gavin Harrison isn't on the drums.  I think the first thing that actually stood out for me with PT was the drums, that dude kills it.  That being said, I do need to check out SW solo stuff at some point, I think I actually have some in a mound of music in a folder i keep on my PC of stuff I need to absorb.  So much music... so little time... haha

19 minutes ago, Sasan said:

Insurgentes and Grace For Drowning were both great the rest I can take or leave, not a big fan of Guthrie Govan and all the pop stuff he's been exploring since The Raven That Refused To Sing fell flat for me. The way he talks about Porcupine Tree in the press makes me feel it's incredibly unlikely, he referred to some of the special HMV Vinyl week re-issues as though it was solo albums under the name Porcupine Tree. Whilst he may have been the creative driving force that comes across as a bit arrogant and now he's doing the whole "I'll pick and construct my own prog supergroup for each album cycle" I don't see him wanting to stop.

Between his solo work garnering enough traction to sell out big venues, his myriad of other monikers and his status as the go-to-guy for prog rock remasters and re-issues I just don't see it.

17 minutes ago, thesecrets0308 said:

Admittedly, I have actually never listened to any of Steven Wilson's solo stuff.  But there's no way it can be as good as PT if Gavin Harrison isn't on the drums.  I think the first thing that actually stood out for me with PT was the drums, that dude kills it.  That being said, I do need to check out SW solo stuff at some point, I think I actually have some in a mound of music in a folder i keep on my PC of stuff I need to absorb.  So much music... so little time... haha

Oh, you should definitely check'em out! Gavin played drums on his first solo album...on TRTRTS & H.C.E. it's Marco Minnemann, who is a freaking beast! I love Gavin's drumming but kudos to Marco Minnemann, he's incredible!

9 minutes ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Insurgentes and Grace For Drowning were both great the rest I can take or leave, not a big fan of Guthrie Govan and all the pop stuff he's been exploring since The Raven That Refused To Sing fell flat for me. The way he talks about Porcupine Tree in the press makes me feel it's incredibly unlikely, he referred to some of the special HMV Vinyl week re-issues as though it was solo albums under the name Porcupine Tree. Whilst he may have been the creative driving force that comes across as a bit arrogant and now he's doing the whole "I'll pick and construct my own prog supergroup for each album cycle" I don't see him wanting to stop.

Between his solo work garnering enough traction to sell out big venues, his myriad of other monikers and his status as the go-to-guy for prog rock remasters and re-issues I just don't see it.

To be honest, I was suprised by Guthrie...never heard of him before and he's, hands-down, probably the best guitar player I've ever seen! That guy is incredible...I just can't put it in words!

I think where Insurgentes was a collection of songs which didn't fit PT, Grace included more of a real song-writing procedure...

But honestly, TRTRTS had brillant moments! Fantastic songs from start to finish although some doodling was just too much IMO!

Until Hand.Cannot.Erase, Insurgentes was my favorite solo record...but then came HCE and BOOM! This is perfection from start to finish...it's a whole package that makes it the perfect SW-album! I never really listen to single songs from this record but the whole thing! It's fantastic! :wub:

My Dad is super into him and as such is always offering me copies of this and that. I never even bothered with getting a copy of Hand Cannot Erase after hearing it.  For me it's:

Grace For Drowning
Insurgentes

The Raven That Refused To Sing

The rest I just don't get on with at all.

Guthrie Govan is talented but he's more of a technically proficient musician than an actual artist in my opinion. I mean great you can play complex stuff but if it leaves me feeling nothing what was the point? Sometimes simple is better.

1 hour ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Guthrie Govan is talented but he's more of a technically proficient musician than an actual artist in my opinion. I mean great you can play complex stuff but if it leaves me feeling nothing what was the point? Sometimes simple is better.

Strange, for me he's one of the very few who technically could do everything he wants to but rather plays very emotionally and doesn't exaggerate the technical jerking...

I mean the solo of "Drive Home" (starting at 5:08) is so perfect...my favorite solos of the last 5 years I'd say!

I'm very surprised to hear that more PT fans aren't into To The Bone.  Longtime PT fan here, and to me it sounds like a logical extension of what was going on around the LightBulb Sun era.  I love it and its maybe my favorite Wilson/PT record since Deadwing.  I also love the drumming (and drum production) on the new record.

Maybe my opinion is different than others because I am seeing lots of Gavin Harrison and 'FOABP' talk and I've always preferred Chris Maitland's playing and 'FOABP' is probably my least favorite Porcupine Tree album.