PO: PORCUPINE TREE - DEADWING 2xLP & IN ABSENTIA 2xLP

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, rransomm said:

Just got email confirmation that Deadwing has shipped. Happy Valentine's Day, me! After all these years, I celebrate you now.

Same.  Cheers that they're shipping in advance so it seems like US folks will actually receive around the time of release.  I bet In Absentia orders start shipping out next week.

On 14/12/2017 at 8:38 AM, Sasan said:

Oh, you should definitely check'em out! Gavin played drums on his first solo album...on TRTRTS & H.C.E. it's Marco Minnemann, who is a freaking beast! I love Gavin's drumming but kudos to Marco Minnemann, he's incredible!

Agreed! Tracks like Routine and Home Invasion, terrific drumming. I love the HCE album, even the more atmospheric stuff like Perfect Life sounds bloody terrific in surround.

Deadwing showed today. Clear vinyl looks pretty awesome. Packaging is nice too... Unfortunately no booklet of any kind and no code. Now, I have no idea if the original had a booklet.... And TBH the CD version doesn't offer much of anything in the booklet beyond collage art.... But I guess I was just assuming it would have one. (Ditto on a download code... Considering the new mastering has better DR levels than the original CD, I was planning to use the new version as my go-to digital.)

Actual sound quality is quite good. Lots of dynamics. You need to crank it to really make the heavy parts really move. Vinyl was dead-quiet except for a little surface noise on Side C. (I didn't clean, just a few sweeps of the anti-static brush.) What can I say? Vinyl from SW never disappoints, and while this isn't my personal favorite PT record, it's a solid listen throughout. (And about $300 cheaper than an original!)

Edited by filthyrich

On 2/21/2018 at 3:11 PM, filthyrich said:

Deadwing showed today. Clear vinyl looks pretty awesome. Packaging is nice too... Unfortunately no booklet of any kind and no code. Now, I have no idea if the original had a booklet.... And TBH the CD version doesn't offer much of anything in the booklet beyond collage art.... But I guess I was just assuming it would have one. (Ditto on a download code... Considering the new mastering has better DR levels than the original CD, I was planning to use the new version as my go-to digital.)

Actual sound quality is quite good. Lots of dynamics. You need to crank it to really make the heavy parts really move. Vinyl was dead-quiet except for a little surface noise on Side C. (I didn't clean, just a few sweeps of the anti-static brush.) What can I say? Vinyl from SW never disappoints, and while this isn't my personal favorite PT record, it's a solid listen throughout. (And about $300 cheaper than an original!)

Thanks for the review.  Hoping mine is at my door when I get home today.  I didn't get the shipping that included tracking so I have no idea if it'll be there today or not.  And I suppose In Absentia POs will probably start shipping sometime next week.  Looking forward to that as well.

Got Deadwing yesterday, and listening to it now. It sounds amazing other than some popping, I think i need to give it a good cleaning. These recent remasters have been great though. Can anyone tell me about the quality of The Incident pressings? It's one of the few I want, but haven't bought yet. Has there been talk of a remaster of that at all? I know the original is still easy to find, but a remaster might be nice.

2 hours ago, EHughes527 said:

Deadwing on black vinyl from Burning Shed looks to have sold out before the clear. Anyone else find that peculiar?

https://burningshed.com/porcupine-tree_deadwing_double-vinyl?filter_name=Porcupine tree&filter_sub_category=true

Probably the black vs coloured vinyl debate, and PT/Steven Wilson fans being audiophiles

Might be of interest to some of you who aren't frequenting the RSD 2018 thread* the distributor Fab.ca does now have  a listing for self titled Bass Communion 2LP on it which I would assume is a repress of the 1998 self titled album as it would be the 20th anniversary. May be relevant to you SW collectors.

*to be fair it is normally an annual shit-show

On 26.2.2018 at 3:53 PM, Stress On The Sky said:

Might be of interest to some of you who aren't frequenting the RSD 2018 thread* the distributor Fab.ca does now have  a listing for self titled Bass Communion 2LP on it which I would assume is a repress of the 1998 self titled album as it would be the 20th anniversary. May be relevant to you SW collectors.

*to be fair it is normally an annual shit-show

Would also make sense since it has never seen a vinyl release!

19 hours ago, YouTwo said:

Does Burning Shed actually send out an email when stuff ships?  It looks like on Discogs people have the white In Absentia but I haven't gotten any kind of shipping email yet.

I just received this mail half an hour ago:

Hi

Thanks for your oder for In Absentia on vinyl. The album is released this coming Friday (9th March).

Due to bad weather last week we lost two days of packing/shipping. We are aiming to post any remaining "Rest of World" orders today (that is, anything outside Europe).

We will also post as many European orders as possible today and tomorrow.

UK orders will start shipping from Tuesday and we are aiming to have all preorders shipped by Wednesday (as usual).

Kind regards

Pete