PO: PORCUPINE TREE - DEADWING 2xLP & IN ABSENTIA 2xLP

2 hours ago, danyc said:

Tripped over this the other day, plus they have 15% off right now. I considered buying it myself, but I already have one. Have at it! 

https://www.amoeba.com/stupid-dream-2006-issue-lp-porcupine-tree/albums/4006423/#used

Dang missed it, how much was it? Any clue if it was he black or marbles version?

On 2/21/2018 at 1:11 PM, filthyrich said:

Deadwing showed today. Clear vinyl looks pretty awesome. Packaging is nice too... Unfortunately no booklet of any kind and no code. Now, I have no idea if the original had a booklet.... And TBH the CD version doesn't offer much of anything in the booklet beyond collage art.... But I guess I was just assuming it would have one. (Ditto on a download code... Considering the new mastering has better DR levels than the original CD, I was planning to use the new version as my go-to digital.)

Actual sound quality is quite good. Lots of dynamics. You need to crank it to really make the heavy parts really move. Vinyl was dead-quiet except for a little surface noise on Side C. (I didn't clean, just a few sweeps of the anti-static brush.) What can I say? Vinyl from SW never disappoints, and while this isn't my personal favorite PT record, it's a solid listen throughout. (And about $300 cheaper than an original!)

I've owned anf loved the CD since it came out, and I was looking forward to hearing "Shesmovedon" on vinyl. There were two tracks in its place on the vinyl that I had not heard before, and I checked for dual grooves to see if it's hidden on there...anyone confirm that shesmovedon is not on this release?

1 hour ago, THE_James_Champ said:

There is a version of Shesmovedon that was re-recorded during the time Deadwing was being recorded that featured the band at that time, and it was released as a bonus track for the american version. 

Ah ok, that version...I wasn't really sure what he was talking about... :D

2 hours ago, THE_James_Champ said:

There is a version of Shesmovedon that was re-recorded during the time Deadwing was being recorded that featured the band at that time, and it was released as a bonus track for the american version. 

Indeed.  I actually prefer the version that was put on Deadwing as a bonus track over the version on Lightbulb Sun too.  It is a very good song.

It is a very good song indeed...but it was only Gavin who wasn’t on the original recording...while he adds (always!) something to the song, I never got why they should re-record the song. Same with „Don’t hate me“ on SW‘s 4 1/2 EP with Ninet. Sure, it was to be supposed to be sung by a woman, but that never bothered me with the original version at all...

5 hours ago, thesecrets0308 said:

Indeed.  I actually prefer the version that was put on Deadwing as a bonus track over the version on Lightbulb Sun too.  It is a very good song.

Agreed, I heard the bonus CD of Deadwing before I got Lightbulb Sun.

The vinyl versions of each album is fantastic, but now to my ears the biggest knock on both is  that neither one contains the 'best' version of Shesmovedon!

Anybody have any issues with their white vinyl copy of In Absentia? The center hole on the second LP is completely out-of-round, with a large protuberance on one side, like the plastic got bunched up; and the entire thing is pressed off-center, causing at least a half-inch sway in the tone arm. It results in some very distinct pitch fluctuations as the tone-arm sways back-and-forth. Sides 3 and 4 are completely unlistenable for me... :/ I say this with a relatively high-tolerance for less-than-perfect pressings...

With that said, sides one and two sound absolutely killer.

5 hours ago, Tom Servo said:

Anybody have any issues with their white vinyl copy of In Absentia? The center hole on the second LP is completely out-of-round, with a large protuberance on one side, like the plastic got bunched up; and the entire thing is pressed off-center, causing at least a half-inch sway in the tone arm. It results in some very distinct pitch fluctuations as the tone-arm sways back-and-forth. Sides 3 and 4 are completely unlistenable for me... :/ I say this with a relatively high-tolerance for less-than-perfect pressings...

Finally opened and listened to my copy last night and it was fine. I'd reach out to burning shed about it.

8 hours ago, Tom Servo said:

Burning Shed offered excellent customer service for me.

At the time, the price of their records were at an all time high due to the US/UK currency exchange.

I had some smooshed corners that I did not want, given the high cost of the Yes records I ordered at the time.

After sending pictures, they mailed me replacement covers free of charge! :)

Go ahead and send them a picture or a short video of the “tone arm sway.” They will probaby be very eager to help you. 

• 5 weeks later...

My local shop got these in over the weekend, the black vinyl variants, snagged them both  (as well as a 2018(?) black vinyl repress of Fear Of  A Blank Planet).

These both sound tremendous, but In Absentia in particular sounds full, booming, and crisp. Could very well be the best this album has ever sounded. God damn, this album is excellent-I haven't listened to this one in a long while and it just holds up amazingly (save for "The Creator Has A Mastertape", which never really resonated deeply with me as much as other PT/SW songs have).

My only tiny gripe is that if you are going to include B-sides/non-album tracks on Deadwing, I personally would rather have had "Mother And Child Divided" instead of "Half Light".

All in all, these represses are highly enjoyable and recommended.

EDIT: I hope SW and Burning Shed do something with The Incident to round out the PT catalog. That said, they allegedly have copies of the original Tonefloat version available for purchase (although I do not see how that is possible). I think I'd hold out for a potential repress personally, if SW were to do a remaster in line with these two.

Edited by DASiano

16 hours ago, DASiano said:

(save for "The Creator Has A Mastertape", which never really resonated deeply with me as much as other PT/SW songs have).

Totally agree! I hate this song...my only skipper on this record!

16 hours ago, DASiano said:

My only tiny gripe is that if you are going to include B-sides/non-album tracks on Deadwing, I personally would rather have had "Mother And Child Divided" instead of "Half Light".

Totally disagree! :D I love Half Light!!! Seeing it live in Tilburg when they filmed Anesthetize was one of my concert highlights ever!

5 hours ago, Sasan said:

Totally disagree! :D I love Half Light!!! Seeing it live in Tilburg when they filmed Anesthetize was one of my concert highlights ever!

I think "Half Light" is excellent. I just prefer "Mother And Child Divided" between the two and think it flows better with "So Called Friend" which would be the preceding track.

2 hours ago, YouTwo said:

"The Creator Has a Master Tape" would have been a killer instrumental.  

I tell you what, that's not a terrible idea in of itself. But what kills this particular song for me is the tempo. PT sounds awkward and feels uncomfortable at this type of fast tempo. I personally think the fastest they should go is something like "Arriving Somewhere..." or the title tracks to either Deadwing or Fear Of A Blank Planet-all three are relatively fast, but a bit slower than "...Master Tape". It just feels weird when they tried to play fast tempo material, at least to my ears, and "...Master Tape" might work a lot better 10-15 BPMs slower.

Of course, I am talking of the "band" albums, as there is faster tempo stuff on the early "solo" albums (think "Linton Samuel Dawson") that works because it fits with the psych/krautrock pastiche vibe of those records.