PO: King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - Gumboot Soup

ethereal

This album is my first go around with these guys after hearing so much buzz about them and I gotta say this stuff is awesome. Not looking forward to going down the rabbit hole with the amount of variants, etc. they have though. Luckily I never double dip so hopefully it all goes easy on my wallet. Really good stuff though, wish I caught them when they came around recently.

With all that said, can anyone recommend one or two of their favorite records? There's so much stuff it's a bit overwhelming.

Edited by pepperonigin

10 minutes ago, pepperonigin said:

This album is my first go around with these guys after hearing so much buzz about them and I gotta say this stuff is awesome. Not looking forward to going down the rabbit hole with the amount of variants, etc. they have though. Luckily I never double dip so hopefully it all goes easy on my wallet. Really good stuff though, wish I caught them when they came around recently.

With all that said, can anyone recommend one or two of their favorite records? There's so much stuff it's a bit overwhelming.

Mind Fuzz and Nonogon

4 hours ago, pepperonigin said:

Mind Fuzz is best by far, IMO.

On 12/31/2017 at 4:28 PM, swazzyswess said:

The Polygondwanaland thread caused me to look into the abyss and made me think that maybe I should focus a little less on collecting variants, hahah. 2018: the year of black vinyl? Maybe.

On 1/1/2018 at 3:07 AM, Roandy55 said:

Amen to that, it's almost like a parody of the whole vinyl collecting obsession.

Yeah - I've already started to give less of a fuck about colored variants, although I wasn't even close to being one of the most obsessed and was 99% of the time content with owning just one variant if multiple were available. But the whole thing is just too stressful and I hate pre-ordering stuff really, much prefer to pick up in store after I've had a chance to determine how much I like it. Part of this is just needing to slow down the rate at which my collection grows anyway. And I'd sometimes (like most everyone) get lured into pre-ordering/purchasing something because of a limited color variant, even if I didn't love it. Look shiny pretty thing! Yeah enough of that.

a majority of the KGATLW fanbase weren’t into vinyl prior to discovering the band which is why we see the insanely obsessive nature of the kids fueling the endless sold out variants and represses.

their subreddit is full of “just discovered this band so I bought every variant I could” posts, and it’s a total circle jerk.

Its hard to think what their lives were like before this band. they are good no doubt but definitely not the second coming of Christ/cure for cancer as their fans and resale amounts reflect. 

21 minutes ago, ethereal said:

a majority of the KGATLW fanbase weren’t into vinyl prior to discovering the band which is why we see the insanely obsessive nature of the kids fueling the endless sold out variants and represses.

their subreddit is full of “just discovered this band so I bought every variant I could” posts, and it’s a total circle jerk.

Its hard to think what their lives were like before this band. they are good no doubt but definitely not the second coming of Christ/cure for cancer as their fans and resale amounts reflect. 

yeah, the problem i have is that yes they are ok, I enjoy a few songs, but theyre just not as special as the hype/vinyl sales warrant. i don't understand the number of people who are so hyped for each subsequent album. its like the fans who obsess over them have never heard this style of music before. it is cookie-cutter psych/fuzz. not dark or unique or interesting. I wouldn't expect much more if any other band released 5 albums in a year, but we don't all have to lie and say they are epic.

30 minutes ago, My Upvote is A Downvote said:

its like the fans who obsess over them have never heard this style of music before. it is cookie-cutter psych/fuzz. not dark or unique or interesting. I wouldn't expect much more if any other band released 5 albums in a year, but we don't all have to lie and say they are epic.

totally agreed. I wouldn’t hold them over oh sees or any related garage/psych act. everything coexists equally

Five albums in a year gives you nothing to grow to truly love, or anything to look forward to. I get impatient when my favorite bands take what I perceive as being too long to release an album (C'mon MGMT, your new singles are great!), but FIVE in one year! 

I like letting albums become favorites and looking forward to a new release. This also makes it a daunting task getting into them as a new fan. 

Mark Kozelek fans don't seem to mind his slips in quality. Same goes for any prolific artist: GBV, Billy Childish, Stephen Merritt in all his guises, Dwyer/Thee Oh Sees + infinite name variations, Brock Van Wey, Leyland Kirby, Acid Mothers Temple...

Not sure where all this KGatLW backlash is coming from all of a sudden. I mean, objectively speaking, that one sole Here Lies Man debut blows every other stoner-rock album out of the water this year, KGatLW included, so it's not like I don't know that I'm basically going into Torche meets The Residents (by way of The Cramps and Bardo Pond) every time I put a KGatLW album on.

Edited by armadillo01

To defend them a little bit (and I’m not a proponent of a billion variants by any means), this is just marketing genius. They’re creating hype with a variety of color ways and musical output. Obviously they are talented enough to put out five albums worth of material in a calendar year and have people enjoy it. They don’t have to be the best band in their genre to get away with it. 

While i agree the quality of the music should come first, I can’t fault these guys for trying to make a few bucks and it’s not like they’re forcing anyone to buy anything. 

As a person who enjoys buying and collecting vinyl I’d rather have a few options in presentation than just a standard black but if I missed the boat I’m not going to go crazy. I know some people will but it’s their money so let them do what they want. 

On Wed Jan 03 2018 at 9:56 AM, pepperonigin said:

Go back to their first album and start there- if your first impression doesnt get reinforced by the time you reach Oddiments and Float Along Fill Your Lungs, then you can stop listening, rest assured you don't need every King Gizzard album  in your collection

On 1/3/2018 at 11:24 PM, armadillo01 said:

Mark Kozelek fans don't seem to mind his slips in quality. Same goes for any prolific artist: GBV, Billy Childish, Stephen Merritt in all his guises, Dwyer/Thee Oh Sees + infinite name variations, Brock Van Wey, Leyland Kirby, Acid Mothers Temple...

Not sure where all this KGatLW backlash is coming from all of a sudden. I mean, objectively speaking, that one sole Here Lies Man debut blows every other stoner-rock album out of the water this year, KGatLW included, so it's not like I don't know that I'm basically going into Torche meets The Residents (by way of The Cramps and Bardo Pond) every time I put a KGatLW album on.

Now this is a real stretch

On 1/3/2018 at 3:46 PM, jeromium said:

Yeah - I've already started to give less of a fuck about colored variants, although I wasn't even close to being one of the most obsessed and was 99% of the time content with owning just one variant if multiple were available. But the whole thing is just too stressful and I hate pre-ordering stuff really, much prefer to pick up in store after I've had a chance to determine how much I like it. Part of this is just needing to slow down the rate at which my collection grows anyway. And I'd sometimes (like most everyone) get lured into pre-ordering/purchasing something because of a limited color variant, even if I didn't love it. Look shiny pretty thing! Yeah enough of that.

yeah, I'm done paying a premium for the record coming in a specific color/variant.  I don't care about it either and seemed to have gotten  wrapped up in that shit for some unknown reason.  

11 hours ago, Mourning Wood said:

The Here Lies Man lp was on my top ten of 2017 list and it is an under the radar sleeper gem that kicks ass.

carry on.

#5 for me

I'm surprised this album isn't actually on Spotify yet. I was able to find it a week ago by searching for the album name, but it's not showing up when searching the band name. Also, the full track list is shown but only 2 tracks are streamable. Seems odd when all other recent albums have been readily streamable.

17 hours ago, jeromium said:

I'm surprised this album isn't actually on Spotify yet. I was able to find it a week ago by searching for the album name, but it's not showing up when searching the band name. Also, the full track list is shown but only 2 tracks are streamable. Seems odd when all other recent albums have been readily streamable.

don't know if there's a regional difference, but I'm in India right now and it has been available for me on Spotify ever since the release date. Just checked again and it is definitely there.