Problem with turntable

Mubm

I have an older denon record player.  It’s a 70s model and I’ve had it about 8 years.  Last night I was playing a record and everything was fine.  I went to change records. I took the first one off then put on the second one and hit auto start and walked away.  After a few minutes it hit never that the record never started.  I went back over to player and the needle was on the record but no sound was coming out.  I’m not sure what’s going on.  I have never had problems with it and it was just working right before.  Anyone with any ideas ?

If the room is really quiet, you should be able to hear the audio very faintly just from the needle movement and not through the amp & speakers (turn them off if you can). If you can hear that, then the turntable is probably OK and you should check all the wiring. If you CAN'T hear anything, then it may be the needle/cartridge, which if its an old unit wouldn't be shocking.

Edited by Kujako