PO: Bad Religion - Stranger Than Fiction remaster

https://www.kingsroadmerch.com/bad-religion/

Clear variant available, in addition to regular black and bundles with a shirt or hoodie.

Have been saying for years this needed a remaster in the worst way. Was really really hoping for a deluxe 2LP with the b-sides, feel like that really would’ve been awesome to have all 19 songs from this session. 

Interesting... I always thought this album sounded pretty good. Very tight, snappy drums and bright guitars that fit those songs well. Maybe the production is a little dry, but IMO Recipe for Hate is more in need of a remaster.

.... or any of the Brooks albums to reduce the ridiculous brickwalled drums.

52 minutes ago, ludakrishayes said:

https://www.kingsroadmerch.com/bad-religion/

Clear variant available, in addition to regular black and bundles with a shirt or hoodie.

Have been saying for years this needed a remaster in the worst way. Was really really hoping for a deluxe 2LP with the b-sides, feel like that really would’ve been awesome to have all 19 songs from this session. 

I agree. OG LP on first 3 sides. B-sides on side 4. The EQ on this record is solid, but having it pumped up I think would be a bonus. In when I see all the variants posted.

Edited by GradedOnACurve

6 minutes ago, GradedOnACurve said:

I agree. OG LP on first 3 sides. B-sides on side 4. The EQ on this record is solid, but having it pumped up I think would be a bonus. In when I see all the variants posted.

Totally! How awesome would that be? 

Hoping  there’s at least an indie store variant, but you never know with Kings Road. 

2 hours ago, swazzyswess said:

I'm revisiting this album for the first time in a while thanks to this thread.... man, Brett REALLY carries this album. I think Greg's songs are almost without exception the weakest ones on the album. I do like "Inner Logic" and "What It Is," but Brett was on fire for this one.

looks pretty even to me. "tiny voices" is a top 10 BR song

3 hours ago, swazzyswess said:

I'm revisiting this album for the first time in a while thanks to this thread.... man, Brett REALLY carries this album. I think Greg's songs are almost without exception the weakest ones on the album. I do like "Inner Logic" and "What It Is," but Brett was on fire for this one.

yeah i felt the same, i always thought the gray race really suffered without brett around writing anything

• 1 month later...

Honestly I don't feel anything is wrong with the original mastering of this record. But those older records really benefited from that 2004 remastering.

Also some of the bonus tracks of the Stranger Than Fiction and Grey Race era are so good. They should make an LP of that. Are they avialible in the digital format somewhere?

8 hours ago, TooManyHumans..... said:

I hear the slightest difference in the remaster...or maybe I'm just telling myself that because I was expecting it to blow me away.

The guitars are just mixed a little better that is about it..they are a little more defined.  I am with you I expected this grand production.  Oh well!  I also agree the 88-92 albums we're good for a RM but not anything after that.  

2 hours ago, GradedOnACurve said:

This is the first press of Stranger Than Fiction that has a insert with lyrics and pictures of any kind right?

Compared to the original press, red vinyl on Atlantic, this remaster sounds significantly better to me. Not as midrange focused. Better instrument separation. More bounce to the low mids. Much softer top end, the 90's master sounds shrill in comparison (as many 90's records suffered from!).

I think the real missed opportunity here though, was to do a 2xLP remaster and include all 4 b-sides on side D. That would've been really special.