harryq

AMAZON U.S. Vinyl Deals & More Thread

6 hours ago, ZeroNowhere said:

I finally got to see Beck on Friday which I was super pumped about.  I thought he was terrible live.

Yeah, he's not a great musician/singer by any means. His strength and talent lies in his sheer creativity and production, not in his live shows. 

I've seen him a handful of times, and the only one that I was impressed by was a solo acoustic tour he did right before Sea Changes came out. It was basically just him sitting on a stool while having conversations with the audience and taking song requests. 

1 hour ago, armadillo01 said:

Details, please. Never seem him live IRL but he can come across a little low-energy sometimes.

I've seen him twice, doing shorter sets at festival shows, and he's been great. I was surprised by how energetic he was this year when he was running around and doing crowd work in between songs. I thought he would be old man Beck and just be chill in one spot. They also played some alternative versions of the big 90s singles which was a cool surprise. I'm curious what made him stink at that show mentioned above.

1 hour ago, armadillo01 said:

Details, please. Never seem him live IRL but he can come across a little low-energy sometimes.

IMO he’s just a great songwriter and studio musician.  His music live didn’t do it for me at all.  I found it boring and generic.  I made it through 7 songs and left, I thought it was that bad, and out of the hundreds of shows I’ve seen over the years I’ve only done that a handful of times.  Maybe others like it, but it wasn’t for me.  The small acoustic set after Sea Change sounds awesome.  I feel like I would probably really dig that.  Plus, after listening to it again the night before the show, I think his new album is pretty bad.

On 4/29/2018 at 6:57 PM, cannonfunk said:

I've seen him a handful of times, and the only one that I was impressed by was a solo acoustic tour he did right before Sea Changes came out. It was basically just him sitting on a stool while having conversations with the audience and taking song requests. 

Saw the show on that pre-Sea Change acoustic tour in Toronto and it was fantastic. As was his show on the Midnite Vultures tour at Maple Leaf Gardens. Can't speak for anything since those two, though (and won't anytime soon if $100 tickets at Madison Square Garden is his new norm). At least his records are cheap on Amazon (on topic!).

Edited by fondfarewell