harryq

AMAZON U.S. Vinyl Deals & More Thread

a way to search between singles and full lengths, as well as vinyl size (7'', 12'')

I kinda feared that that request will come up, because I was already looking exactly for that piece of information in the Amazon data (they provide an interface with all their item data from the website to be used for sites like mine).

I wish I could, but it is extremely frustrating: Amazon doesn't classify vinyl items by format.

Check out Amazon, you will notice that you are not able to browse by vinyl singles

or other formats. They do _sometimes_ add the info to the end of the title, but even when they do it is terribly inconsistent. E.g. [Vinyl], (Vinyl), [Limited Edition 7"], (Vinyl LP with CD), (Deluxe Fan Pack w/ T-Shirt) ...

From a programmers standpoint this is horrible, from a record buyers perspective it is completely incomprehensible how they never categorized vinyl better.

Update:

- added quicklinks on the frontpage that have already some filters preselected

- changed default sorting on the lists

- added a amazon search box to the frontpage

The website is awesome! Don't change it just repeat the same for amazon.ca and co.uk etc.

Thanks for the kind words.

If I could, I'd have started right away with .com, .ca, co.uk, .de, and .fr, but there are technical boundaries that don't yet allow me to do that.

But if you ask for a roadmap, I'd say the next country I'll add will be .co.uk in order to cover Europe first, then .de or .ca, then .fr (if .fr at all). Maybe .co.uk will be there within a couple weeks already.

Ready for a first preview of the site?

It still needs a lot of stuff to do, but early input would be very valuable, because it is still easier to change stuff.

http://recordmole.com

There is a lot more stuff to come, e.g. filtering the lists by music styles and also showing all offers by artists, but this is already a start.

Keep in mind that I've only been tracking the data since last week, so it hasn't detected that many high price changes for Amazon products. With some exceptions for used items in the market place.

Awesome Job! Thanks for this

You should add price ranges, like $0-$9.99, $10-$25, etc. Even better would be two boxes so people can set the minimum and maximum price range themselves (like ebay has).

It's on the roadmap as is the music style filter.

Been thinking about how to expand this to include other countries. And I believe I could manage with current resources to add .ca, co.uk and .de at once if I only consider vinyl at first... well, not that you guys would be missing CDs. ;D

It'll take a few days though, but it's doable.

So here it is. http://recordmole.com is now tracking vinyl for Amazon.com, .ca, .co.uk and .de. (sorry frenchies, no .fr for now)

I had to clean the database and start tracking from scratch again though, so all price changes are only from today onwards. And it is still building up so I think during this week we should have a good base that will be updated regularly.

I'm also tracking only vinyl now, because otherwise I cannot track 4 countries, but I think about adding Live DVDs/Blu-Rays sometime down the road if there is interest for that.

Next I'll be looking at filtering by genre, price and format (yes, I think I figured it out).

Guest markovianprocess
So here it is. http://recordmole.com is now tracking vinyl for Amazon.com, .ca, .co.uk and .de. (sorry frenchies, no .fr for now)

I had to clean the database and start tracking from scratch again though, so all price changes are only from today onwards. And it is still building up so I think during this week we should have a good base that will be updated regularly.

I'm also tracking only vinyl now, because otherwise I cannot track 4 countries, but I think about adding Live DVDs/Blu-Rays sometime down the road if there is interest for that.

Next I'll be looking at filtering by genre, price and format (yes, I think I figured it out).

All of your view at Amazon links on the .co.uk, .ca and .de are going to Amazon.com. The correct pricing is still being listed for the .co.uk, .ca and .de sites, but I'd need to open a separate Amazon page in my country and search for the bargain myself to bypass the issue.

Another day another update. Clicking on the artist name will now show all items of that artist across all Amazons. Browsable artist list and search function still to come.

To keep the thread on topic, has actually anybody found any good deals on the site?

edit: btw, I received that Dredg Album "The Pariah,the Parrot,the Delusion [Vinyl LP]" for $7,24 which I mentioned earlier:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002767SP0/recmol-20

and to my suprise the US pressing is on grey/black-smoke vinyl.

Didn't expect that because the European pressing is black and 3 times the price. ;D

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

ills of a box too large.

records weren't tooooo badly damaged thankfully

That is by far worse than anything I've ever received from Amazon. I always submit shipping feedback and tell them they're idiots for not having LP mailers.

Looks like a case of the post office being too rough on the package, i've never had a problem with a record coming in a huge box. Lucky nothing fell out before the put the plastic over the one end my friend!

And upon actual reading, it seems that has happened and that does suck and is bullshit. Sorry bros.

[image]

ills of a box too large.

records weren't tooooo badly damaged thankfully

omg, I lol'ed. Can't believe that nothing got seriously damaged.

Actually I got a package from Amazon.com couple weeks ago. Everyone warned me that the packaging would be crap and when I picked up my package at the box office it had the same size as yours (for 2 x 12" and 1 x 7") , but looked undamaged.

When tilting the box you could hear the stuff sliding from end to end, so I already expected the worst. But lo and behold, the contents were almost in mint condition, not even dented corners. Only the inner sleeves suffered a bit, but otherwise I thought it was a miracle...

... but seeing your box there... that's a miracle that it still arrived in one piece. ;D