PO Soon: Hop Along - Bark Your Head Off, Dog (April 6)

in my opinion, it seems pretty smart for a label to press a second /500 variant after the first sells out, rather than an unlimited color/black or a /1000 run...it encourages people buying multiple copies and suggests a rarity of sorts that really wont be there in the end, when there are about 10 variants of this record. i dont mind, but I think the makers/sellers of records are going to have to be more transparent about this in the future. im sure SC just saw the demand and was happy to offer up another variant

I guess the real tell will be if they ship at the same time right? If variants 1 and 2 show up at people's doors on the same day, they were clearly keeping them as a surprise in the closet. If there's a delay, it would appear to be an honest attempt at matching demand.  There's no way they complete a "second pressing" in 2 months.

Got the first variant though and I think the colors work better anyways. For that price it's hard to complain

1 hour ago, OU818 said:

I guess the real tell will be if they ship at the same time right? If variants 1 and 2 show up at people's doors on the same day, they were clearly keeping them as a surprise in the closet. If there's a delay, it would appear to be an honest attempt at matching demand.  There's no way they complete a "second pressing" in 2 months.

Got the first variant though and I think the colors work better anyways. For that price it's hard to complain

Saddle Creek: *riiiiiiing riiiiiiing* "Hey pressing plant can we add another 700 copies to our order since you haven't started working on it yet?"

Pressing plant: "Ok"

There ya go. Not really a tell since none of it exists yet.

3 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Saddle Creek: *riiiiiiing riiiiiiing* "Hey pressing plant can we add another 700 copies to our order since you haven't started working on it yet?"

You may have bought Saddle Creek some time but we'll know conclusively that this was a deceitful marketing trick once the hair fiber DNA results come in and we cross-reference them with the digital timestamps on the pressing plant order emails.

7 hours ago, Sunshine said:

fair enough! I'll have to hire a detective to do the dirty work. 

Just kidding I'll forget about this until one day in April a record shows up and I think to myself, "damn what did I drunk buy this time?"

I mean really, all us vinyl collectors often care about is having a rare and nice looking, quality sounding variant. As long as the new ones are different/distinguishable in some way from the 1st press its totally fine (although IMO it would have been cooler if the x500 was the only multi stripped tri-colour pressing done, but that's neither here nor there). As others have said, its only annoying when a limited press is repressed identically and essentially has its pressing quantity siginificantly increased after it has sold out. I think record companies/bands/labels should be totally free to make as much money as they are entitled to, after all its their hard work that has resulted in the production of a quality piece of music. I just reckon they should do it by releasing pressings that are distinct from one another in terms of appearance and sticking to advertised pressing quantities. In short, Saddle Creek has gone about this the right way imo, and this is how other labels should do it if they want to press more limited vinyl after a first run has sold out.

So many labels order "first" and "second" presses at the same time and literally sit on the second presses, although I guess you can call them first press technically. It's more common than you think. And in this case Saddle Creek more than likely didn't plan on it or do it strategically to save money on their overall unit cost, they were simply trying to give more people an option to get a color variant cause it sold out so fast. My point is... I only see this as a positive thing unless you're a selfish asshole :wub:

Looking forward to this album though. AOTY potential. I copped the second press tri + the indie exclusive. Will totally buy / trade for the /500 tri color if someone wants to make some ca$h off me or wants a different variant of the album (I'll order it for you)

xoxo

Edited by corey.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, corey. said:

Saddle Creek posted a picture of the second tri color and it's beautiful. I'll post it below. Also, gonna throw it out there that I will give someone a good amount of money for the first press tri-color. It's the only hop along variant I'm missing.

I dig how the second one came out. PM me if you're serious about this and I'll order a second press copy and we can make arrangements for you to get my first press.

This proves our theory that the 2nd pressing was the FIRST pressing and they tried to cover up this lie by telling us the real 2nd pressing was first, thinking we'd believe it. But then, the real 2nd pressing got delayed so the fake 2nd pressing actually became the real 1st pressing which is now the real 1st pressing and is shipping first, which seems way too convenient and makes me think that there were actually two 1st pressings all along and the leak of the fake 2nd pressing first is just a diversion to the fact that we are close to finding the truth.

22 minutes ago, swb said:

This proves our theory that the 2nd pressing was the FIRST pressing and they tried to cover up this lie by telling us the real 2nd pressing was first, thinking we'd believe it. But then, the real 2nd pressing got delayed so the fake 2nd pressing actually became the real 1st pressing which is now the real 1st pressing and is shipping first, which seems way too convenient and makes me think that there were actually two 1st pressings all along and the leak of the fake 2nd pressing first is just a diversion to the fact that we are close to finding the truth.

Every fiber of my being wants to believe this is a joke.  But it’s so well written that it feels plausiblly paranoid.

6 hours ago, swb said:

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, bluethumb said:

Three pages of comments, and only a handful about the actual music. Ah, VC is reliable if nothing else :)

What are your thoughts on the album?  How do you feel about the sequencing of the tracks?  Do you feel like the record’s hooks are about as consistent as the prior albums’, or would you say Hop Along have broken new ground and substituted some of that accessibility to challenge themselves (and the listener) this time around?

The album isn’t out yet.

Are we supposed to discuss 2 singles for months on end?  Has this leaked and no one’s mentioned anything?  I welcome you to scroll to the top of the page and reevaluate the name of the forum you’re posting on.

17 hours ago, swb said:

giphy.gif

• 2 weeks later...