PO Now! Underoath - “Erase Me” (Out April 6th)

RadDonut

Just finished the 'making of' doc. Few notes: 

1) As previously mentioned - Grant & James not there. No creative input whatsoever. As well as not even them playing on the record.  That just seems....very...odd.  I don't understand how they're cool with this? It almost makes you wonder how on-board they were with Matt producing and the direction the other 4 wanted to take. 

2) A constantly repeated line throughout is the fact that them making heavy music would have sounded stale. That making even one song that sounded like DTGL or LITSOS would've been weak and no one would like it. This depresses me. I would've loved to hear at least 2-3 songs that were heavier, riffed out and a couple decent breakdowns. That with the other 9 songs that explore/experiment would've done it for me. I'd been satisfied for sure. 

Dan from The Wonder Years (who've been evolving/maturing on each respective album ) said it best in an interview  recently: "As music fans, we know what it feels like when a band leaves us behind. I remember hearing records when I was younger and saying 'wow, what happened to the band that I liked?' But I also remember what it felt like to get a record and be like 'Damn, this is just the last record they made all over again!' I think because we’ve taken those incremental steps and moved forward thoughtfully with each release, this feels like a natural move for us to make."

At the end of the day, I'm done with this whole convo about the album. It is what it is. Decent rock album. And pretty good when not taken in any kind of sonic context. 

9 minutes ago, famousdrumer said:

They did seem hurt about it when the question came up about it at the q&a, but i think they have just accepted it. 

That just bums me out man. I understand though. There are a lot of albums where they have studio musicians and recording musicians. But like Aaron said it the doc, he probably would have quit the band if it was him. 

9 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

What am I missing here?  Did you expect me to frequently pop in here and just heckle or talk shit about a record I wouldn’t explore?  That’s not really how it works.

you are the best at the internet and i will not let anyone take that away from you. godspeed, my good man.

1 minute ago, jrodan said:

you are the best at the internet and i will not let anyone take that away from you. godspeed, my good man.

Haha, it’s possible I’m just not seeing the full picture here.  But I just feel like anyone can troll a thread for an album, but any opinion they may have on it is basically moot.  I have no horse in the Underoath race but it’s a rainy day and I’ve been stuck indoors all day for work.  I’ve listened to 4 new albums released today, and I guess I was feeling adventurous with Underoath.  It was 100% the weakest of the bunch – to zero surprise – but felt like a palette cleanser of sorts, I guess.  I don’t know.  I can share legitimate thoughts on it for what’s it worth, even though people have tried to call me out for defending albums that I try to discuss neutrally.  (See: the latest Arcade Fire thread.)

tl;dr – given how much I run my mouth on the boards, I can’t afford to not know what I’m talking about.  But yes, the tone of your last few posts is accurate: I encourage no one to waste time on this album if you’re on the fence.

10 hours ago, famousdrumer said:

you'll also learn that James & Grant were virtually no existent in making this record. They did a Q&A/screening Monday and they said that they were basically left out and only really talked on the phone with the other members. Tim recorded everything. Really shitty thing to do. 

Makes a lot of sense both from how the album turned out and why you almost never see them in the video.