PO Now! Underoath - “Erase Me” (Out April 6th)

RadDonut

I agree that this isn't the most exciting UO song, but it is decent enough. It's got some chugging guitars and a bit of grunge that I don't associate with these guys, so it's interesting to see them trying out something different again. I'm curious to see where the rest of the album goes, but so far I'm on board, albeit not extremely enthusiastically.

Unpopular opinion: On My Teeth is in the bottom 3 or 4 songs off Erase Me.

1 hour ago, N8TRU said:

The beginning of the next era. They're still on Fearless.

they're definitely paying attention to spacier/gazier heavy bands like Loathe, Holy Fawn, Greet Death etc with this one but refracting that sound back against their own songwriting formula in a neat way. lots of Disambiguation vibes here, hopefully the next album draws more from this well ~

1 hour ago, copelandkid said:

lots of Disambiguation vibes here

My first thought was that it had a very Disambiguation sound to it. I loved that album too.

Someone on YT said this song sounded like all of their albums combined into one and I would heavily agree with that.

I think UO is best at their heaviest. Hoping they lean into that more with this album.

Edit: I can’t wait for the “this is a Christian band” crowd to come out and be up in arms about how many times Spencer says fuck.

Also, I think Tim is a brilliant guitar player.

Edited by RadDonut

3 minutes ago, drewberinger said:

Apparently new record is called Voyeurist

I know the livestream of them in the studio earlier this year (and late last year?) was at a website titled that. Also they had a tshirt with anew styled “U” called that, but hadn’t seen anywhere that truly confirmed it

Yeah wouldn't have ever thought id be in this position...

but after the single bait and switch and general mediocrity of Erase Me, I am going to believe this will be an unremarkable album until proven otherwise.

Single is good but not great IMO

Also remember their ""translucent black deluxe"" $45 single LP's for erase me? lool

Edited by V3XED

53 minutes ago, V3XED said:

but after the single bait and switch and general mediocrity of Erase Me, I am going to believe this will be an unremarkable album until proven otherwise.

Same boat. That single was not memorable at all. It was fine. My impression was "cool.... what other new music got announced?"

23 minutes ago, V3XED said:

Also remember their ""translucent black deluxe"" $45 single LP's for erase me? lool

Mega forgettable singles for basically a decade now.

2018 "Translucent black" deluxe vinyl fiasco.

2020–2021 reissues almost comically barraged by relentless delays.  (Looking at you, Observatory box.)

How mad would the band be if they stepped back and realized that things were working a lot better for them when they walked with Jesus?