Rob Crow 2018 Joyful Noise Artist in Residence

hori

Optiganally Yours, for the masses.

Greetings VIPS,

Heads up: we are releasing the new incredible Optiganally Yours album on vinyl & digital this July!

In case you're unaware, the Optigan was a chord organ made by Mattel in the early 70’s that played lo-fi sound loops on flexible 12" discs- an early version of sampling technology. Each disc contained optically-encoded rhythm-section grooves in a particular style of music along with drum loops and keyboard tones.

Optiganally Yours, featuring Rob Crow (Pinback) and Pea Hix, is a band dedicated to these haunting sounds. O.Y. In Hi-Fi, their third album, is assembled from thousands of loops culled from the original Optigan studio master tapes.

O.Y. In Hi-Fi will be released on July 20 on split-color "ketchup & mustard" vinyl, yellow vinyl, and digital. Snag the pre-order now.  

[NOTE: This is one of two releases from Rob Crow's Artist In Residence that we will be releasing more widely beyond the 475-unit box set. If you already purchased that box set, there is no reason to purchase again unless you're an absolute nutcase.]

zxbXgJz.jpg

• 3 months later...

I just noticed a new album by "Other" pop up on RYM and Discogs called For the Purposes of This Conversation and supposedly released August 15. I may have overlooked the mention of "Other" on the first post in this thread, but this appears to be aka Other Men, the alias used by 3/4 of Heavy Vegetable when releasing Wake Up Swimming in 2007 - which is probably my favorite non-Pinback Rob Crow release. 

I don't see anything about this on the Joyful Noise site. There may be a VIP page, although both entries I found were for digital releases, not vinyl, and it supposedly came out last week anyway. Nothing on Spotify. Anyone have any additional info? 

On 8/21/2018 at 5:14 PM, jeromium said:

I just noticed a new album by "Other" pop up on RYM and Discogs called For the Purposes of This Conversation and supposedly released August 15. I may have overlooked the mention of "Other" on the first post in this thread, but this appears to be aka Other Men, the alias used by 3/4 of Heavy Vegetable when releasing Wake Up Swimming in 2007 - which is probably my favorite non-Pinback Rob Crow release. 

I don't see anything about this on the Joyful Noise site. There may be a VIP page, although both entries I found were for digital releases, not vinyl, and it supposedly came out last week anyway. Nothing on Spotify. Anyone have any additional info? 

It is part of the 2018 Artist in Residence Series, featuring new/previously unreleased Rob Crow-related material. Subscribers receive digital downloads of each release on the 15th of each month, with a vinyl box set to follow in November. 

Per the O.Y. in Hi-Fi post above, supposedly only two of the releases from the series will be released more widely beyond the box set.

https://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.com/products/2018-artist-in-residence

1 hour ago, synapsistapped said:

It is part of the 2018 Artist in Residence Series, featuring new/previously unreleased Rob Crow-related material. Subscribers receive digital downloads of each release on the 15th of each month, with a vinyl box set to follow in November. 

Per the O.Y. in Hi-Fi post above, supposedly only two of the releases from the series will be released more widely beyond the box set.

https://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.com/products/2018-artist-in-residence

Thanks, hopefully this will be the "Other" one. Although I haven't heard anything from some of the other projects like Byre, Third Act Problems, Remote Action Sequence Project, or Physics.

I wasn't into the Optiganally Yours sound.

• 11 months later...

Reviving this thread to express my love for the Thingy album that was released as part of this series. Noticed it appeared on Spotify a couple weeks ago and have been obsessed. Apparently it's a lost album of sorts, with many of the songs previously circulated as live bootlegs or whatever. What a fucking banger! Love this as much as Other Men's Wake Up Swimming, and tbh better than the two previous Thingy LPs.

I said above that I hope the Other album is the 2nd LP from this series that will get a wider release, but now I hope it's this one! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2019 at 4:24 PM, jeromium said:

Reviving this thread to express my love for the Thingy album that was released as part of this series. Noticed it appeared on Spotify a couple weeks ago and have been obsessed. Apparently it's a lost album of sorts, with many of the songs previously circulated as live bootlegs or whatever. What a fucking banger! Love this as much as Other Men's Wake Up Swimming, and tbh better than the two previous Thingy LPs.

I said above that I hope the Other album is the 2nd LP from this series that will get a wider release, but now I hope it's this one! 

Yeah man, it's a great album